Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Does anyone Rallyx their ST?

Maybe I'm missing it, but I see alot about autox and drag racing, but not too much on Rally. I'm looking to go that direction, but don't know what the most important things to do first are. If I can learn from those who already made the mistakes, it can save me making them. I'm not looking to go full Rally, just the rally cross stuff. probably not alot of upgrades, but don't want to waste money either. Thanks in advance.

I'd like to know as well! We just started our rallycross season here with some gravel events before Big Lake freezes. I kind of wanted to bring the FiST out, but a buddy and I went halvsies on a $800 Audi 4000S quattro, knowing that the events on the lake have big, packed snow berms that we end up finding at least once an event. I really like the old tank, especially compared to the Loyale we campaigned for the past two years (although that was a blast as well). Audi.jpg

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Member @JDG on here (in Conshohocken if I'm not mistaken, not all too far from you) is VERY into, and active in SCCA Rally Cross.

Member jcr557 on here (out of Philly), and member alexinvancouver actually compete in full speed, full safety equipment required, performance STAGE rallying in prepped FiSTs. [driving] [thumb]

Last edited:
OP
Melow
Thread Starter #4
Member @JDG on here (in Conshohocken if I'm not mistaken, not all too far from you) is VERY into, and active in SCCA Rally Cross.

Member jcr557 on here (out of Philly), and member alexinvancouver actually compete in full speed, full safety equipment required, performance STAGE rallying in prepped FiSTs. [driving] [thumb]
Thanks for the heads up. I sent a message to JDG.

I bought my 16 FiST specifically to rallyX. For stock class it needs nothing but wheels and tires. Drop to 16x7 (yes, that's stock legal) and fit 205 width snow tires with the most rugged and blocky tread you can find. Run 40psi. I went with these:
https://simpletire.com/hercules-205-55r16-01037-tires

Try to find skidplates for under the engine and the rear plumbing. Although my rear skid plate hasn't a mark on it after 3 years, so how important can it be? The front is banged up a little, so worthwhile. I got mine from The Skid Plate Guy. Shocks -- OE are fine. Good shocks. If you must, find Bilstein B8s. Can't run Konis because no adjustable shocks. Frankly beyond aggressive tires and smaller diameter wheels to run them...everything else is mostly driver.

If anyone in California wants to do this, I'm moving the car to Prepared next year and have several sets of wheels and tires, and NIB Bilsteins I bought for spares. Gravel spec suspension and rally tires for me.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Gravel spec suspension and rally tires for me.
Which gravel spec coil overs are you going with??

Also, yes, I have only heard a few 'pings' off of the No Pistons EVAP protector plate, but yes, have some MAJOR dings, dents, and scrapes on my Skid Plate Guy front plate from driving down some (probably worse/rougher than most SCCA Rally Cross courses) of the stage roads while working ARA rallies. [wink]

Just got back from Yawsport with prototype #1 Cusco Gravel Spec suspension. Cusco has no fitment for Fiesta, but Mazda 2, sure. Same platform. It fits.

Since Yawsport figured it out, he will probably be the only USA source for these kits. Some of the pieces are custom and unique out of his shop. He already has customers waiting. Picture of my suspension just waiting for me to arrive here: https://www.facebook.com/YAWSPORT/

Our rallyX season is over, but I'm going to do a rain autoX this sunday for a shake down.

Hey sorry to dig up an old thread, just curious how the rallycross season is going for you?

What tires did you end up going with and did you make any other upgrades to the car?

A stock FiST is very capable with tires, a skid plate, and seat time! A well piloted FiST will turn the same times as many of the AWD cars in my region.

I run MF with mine and might be able to offer some advice as well!

Attachments

I bought my 16 FiST specifically to rallyX. For stock class it needs nothing but wheels and tires. Drop to 16x7 (yes, that's stock legal) and fit 205 width snow tires with the most rugged and blocky tread you can find. Run 40psi. I went with these:
https://simpletire.com/hercules-205-55r16-01037-tires

Try to find skidplates for under the engine and the rear plumbing. Although my rear skid plate hasn't a mark on it after 3 years, so how important can it be? The front is banged up a little, so worthwhile. I got mine from The Skid Plate Guy. Shocks -- OE are fine. Good shocks. If you must, find Bilstein B8s. Can't run Konis because no adjustable shocks. Frankly beyond aggressive tires and smaller diameter wheels to run them...everything else is mostly driver.

If anyone in California wants to do this, I'm moving the car to Prepared next year and have several sets of wheels and tires, and NIB Bilsteins I bought for spares. Gravel spec suspension and rally tires for me.
Here to revive this old thread as well. I just bought a ‘14 as a dedicated RallyX car to run in the stock 2wd class. That’s good beta to drop down to the 16”s because other than skid plates and mud flaps, all I’ve been shopping for is wheels so far.

Any advice on how to setup an on the fly switch for traction control, ABS and ESC so it can still be a reliable daily? I also do a lot of left foot braking. Has anyone pulled out or wired a switch so you can left foot brake without killing the throttle?

Thanks!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I personally would go with 15" wheels, and 60 series/profile tires (if not real gravel rally, reinforced sidewall, 70 profile tires if you can afford them), unless your courses are very smooth and hard packed dirt, or clay. [wink]

[QUOTE="stash3630, post: 499443, member: 27635] I also do a lot of left foot braking. Has anyone pulled out or wired a switch so you can left foot brake without killing the throttle?[/QUOTE]
You’ve likely discovered this, but the car kills the throttle after a second or two if you’re already on the gas and left foot brake. But if you’re on the brakes and then apply gas, it won’t ever cut the throttle.

Here’s a video on it:
View: https://youtu.be/YzlXb6h1b58

I brush the brakes in long autox sweepers sometimes, so the cut off isn’t an issue there, but I can see how it could be a problem in rallyX…

I personally would go with 15" wheels, and 60 series/profile tires (if not real gravel rally, reinforced sidewall, 70 profile tires if you can afford them), unless your courses are very smooth and hard packed dirt, or clay. [wink]
I can only drop down one inch to a 16” and still run in the stock class 😐. Looks like legit snows are rare in a 205x45x16. Do y’all think I’ll have any rubbing issues with a 205x55x16?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Possibly not, if you run mostly smooth courses with mild to non-existent compressions/dips/jumps.
But, all of those are almost 25" tall, which is way out of range to not expect any rubbing at all. [:(]

The Cooper Evolution Winters seem to have the most 'open block' rally tire-like tread pattern of the lot, and they are XL rated, which generally means at least a slightly stronger side wall than the standard load rated donuts. [wink]

It looks like 205/50-16, and 195/55-16 winter tires do not exist, but at least three 195/50-16s do.

Last edited:
Possibly not, if you run mostly smooth courses with mild to non-existent compressions/dips/jumps.
But, all of those are almost 25" tall, which is way out of range to not expect any rubbing at all. [:(]

The Cooper Evolution Winters seem to have the most 'open block' rally tire-like tread pattern of the lot, and they are XL rated, which generally means at least a slightly stronger side wall than the standard load rated donuts. [wink]

It looks like 205/50-16, and 195/55-16 winter tires do not exist, but at least three 195/50-16s do.
Of these three 195/50/16’s the Continental look the most rally tire to me. Your thoughts? Did you see a Cooper Evo in a 195/50/16 somewhere?

hit the filter button and select severe snow
https://www.tire-rack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=83001&width=195/&ratio=50&diameter=16&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17&performance=ALL

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah, I would go with the Contis since they have a sharper, more square shoulder, like a real gravel tire.

The price is a shame though, since real gravels were about that same cost not all that long ago.

But yeah, real gravels are only made in (14" &) 15" sizes, and you could not use them in that stock class anyway, even if they were made in 16" sizes, correct?

Yeah, I would go with the Contis since they have a sharper, more square shoulder, like a real gravel tire.

The price is a shame though, since real gravels were about that same cost not all that long ago.

But yeah, real gravels are only made in (14" &) 15" sizes, and you could not use them in that stock class anyway, even if they were made in 16" sizes, correct?
Yup that’s correct. Here’s the SCCA rules as far as I know (to say I’m a newbie is an understatement 😝)

Attachments

I found some nokians in 195/50/16’s that look real good! And included the Conti again next to them for easy comparison

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nokian-tire-nordman-7

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nokian-tire-hakkapeliitta-r5

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/continental-vikingcontact-7

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There were many competitors in the long gone, old SCCA Maine Forest WINTER rally who chose the Hakkapeliittas of that day over actual Michelin non-studded snow/ice winter rally tires (metal is NOT allowed in the tires on U.S. rallies), since they were better for grip. [wink]

Yes, those would also work, just they are not offered by Tire Rack at all if you needed to stay loyal to them for any reasons.

Decent price as well, but sadly out of stock (as almost ALL Nokians would be here in the states until late September at least). [:(]
(I would personally take the Nordman-7s over the R5s for rallycross purposes, due to their more square shoulder, and larger void areas, and bigger blocks, to clear mud, and soft impacted dirt more easily.)

Last edited:
There were many competitors in the long gone, old SCCA Maine Forest WINTER rally who chose the Hakkapeliittas of that day over actual Michelin non-studded snow/ice winter rally tires (metal is NOT allowed in the tires on U.S. rallies), since they were better for grip. [wink]

Yes, those would also work, just they are not offered by Tire Rack at all if you needed to stay loyal to them for any reasons.

Decent price as well, but sadly out of stock (as almost ALL Nokians would be here in the states until late September at least). [:(]
(I would personally take the Nordman-7s over the R5s for rallycross purposes, due to their more square shoulder, and larger void areas, and bigger blocks, to clear mud, and soft impacted dirt more easily.)
Ok sweet. I really appreciate all of this man. I actually have a one time 30% off deal with a Nokian rep I scored on a road rallye that I haven’t used yet. I reached out to him and he’s checking on his stock! So last question (for now hahaha)…
So the Nordmam 7s are your choice over the R5, but would the R5 still be your choice over the Continentals?

The 195/50r16 size has been working well for me. I'm currently using a Toyo GSI-6. The Surface is going to make a difference in the tire. When I was racing in Utah, big open blocks worked well in the sandy surface. Now in the Chicago/Milwaukee region, my more worn-out winters have been very fast but in the mud they were really bad. I haven't seen it yet but rumor has it on a hot dry hard-packed surface, a 200TW autocross tire can be fast in the afternoon.