Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Don't Be Stupid like Me, Let The Car Cool Down.

Took my fiesta to autocross last weekend. I had a hell of a time - in a good way. However, don't be an idiot like me and do 3 runs without much break between runs, on the 3rd run I went into limp mode from over heating. I immediately turned on heat full blast and drove slow to cool the car down off the track. I was at the end of the course on cool down. It was a pretty fast autox course. The last third of the course had me redlined in 2nd.

Car seems fine. I'lll probably get the moutune radiator.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Run in third gear if you're redlining. The car will handle better and the speed will not suffer. It might even be faster. And it will run cooler.

OP
Indy_Fest
Thread Starter #3
Run in third gear if you're redlining. The car will handle better and the speed will not suffer. It might even be faster. And it will run cooler.
I tried running 3rd, and it didn't work. It's fast sweepers, to a hard turn, into sweepers again, then a slalom. Had a fast exit. I went into 3rd in the slalom.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Took my fiesta to autocross last weekend. I had a hell of a time - in a good way. However, don't be an idiot like me and do 3 runs without much break between runs, on the 3rd run I went into limp mode from over heating. I immediately turned on heat full blast and drove slow to cool the car down off the track. I was at the end of the course on cool down. It was a pretty fast autox course. The last third of the course had me redlined in 2nd.

Car seems fine. I'lll probably get the moutune radiator.
Do you have an upgraded intercooler? Made a big difference for me on the track (I don't autocross).

I like how we can rotate the vents towards the windows. Definitely helps!

OP
Indy_Fest
Thread Starter #5
Do you have an upgraded intercooler? Made a big difference for me on the track (I don't autocross).

I like how we can rotate the vents towards the windows. Definitely helps!
No I don't. I am not sure street touring class allows an intercooler, it does allow a radiator. That seems to have solved people's issues. However, I had no problem until I ran a couple runs almost back to back.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
In the old days of autocross the guys who ran British cars (Midget, TR3, etc.) would bring an Indian can of water and spray it on the radiator to cool it faster between runs. I guess now they call them lawn and garden sprayers and they don't hold as much water (1 or 2 gal. vs. 5 gal.)

No I don't. I am not sure street touring class allows an intercooler, it does allow a radiator. That seems to have solved people's issues. However, I had no problem until I ran a couple runs almost back to back.
Street touring allows both radiator and intercooler to be upgraded on the Fiesta, but not the charge pipes.

edit 8/11/2021:
So it seems the edition of the rules released on 6/24/2021 allows charge pipes in STH and STH, as well as BOV/DV+/diverter vales, etc.
1628695608191.png

Last edited:
I had mine overheat on the interstate in the summer in heavy traffic. And could barely get two hot laps around Atlanta Motorsports Park. The cooling is terrible. Finally got my Mountune Radiator installed a few months ago and no issue since.

I did order a Whoosh IC, but that hasn't shipped.

You should be good just by doing the radiator swap. I also did the thermostat, though debatable if that's necessary.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I’ll never understand how this keeps happening to people.
because they won’t listen when we advise them to upgrade their intercoooler and radiator. Both of which are severly lacking for the North American continent IMO.

P.S. I am not calling out the OP on this. I am just stating the fact that we do get quite a few who we mention upgrade but they choose not too.

OP
Indy_Fest
Thread Starter #12
because they won’t listen when we advise them to upgrade their intercoooler and radiator. Both of which are severly lacking for the North American continent IMO.

P.S. I am not calling out the OP on this. I am just stating the fact that we do get quite a few who we mention upgrade but they choose not too.
I haven't heard of the Fiesta having cooling problems prior to this.

Fiestig

I haven't heard of the Fiesta having cooling problems prior to this.
It's pretty common, however not everyone has the issue. I am lucky enough to have one of the factory unicorn radiators. I can beat the hell out of my car when in Vegas summer and then hit stop/go traffic without issue. Others.... Not so much unfortunately.

the duke

Try red lining your car for 50 seconds 3 times in the span of 10 minutes.
My car sees constant open track days and SCCA Time Trails nearly every month or so in season. I've never had an issue with cooling, limp mode, or anything.

As I've said, I'll never understand how people have issues with these cars.

Erick_V

Same for me. Never had issues with an untouched 16MY cooling system, got a unicorn. Autocrossed in 100+ with the temps on grid at least 10 degrees higher than ambient with all the cars idling, throwing off heat plus banging limiter. Some people are luckier than others. I will say that I almost never see over 200 with my Mountune Rad unless I’m doing a long stint on a back road. I also run 70/30 with water wetter so YMMV. Happy I upgraded because coolant temps are now very low on my list of things to worry about.

Seconded on the Mountune rad recommendation: I went to a test n tune prior to our autocross Sunday. They allowed rolling grids, which means as soon as you were done with your run, you can hop back in line immediately. I did 10 runs in 1 hour with temps never exceeding 205F.

Haven’t had a chance to install my radiator yet but what I did to cope with high temps when I was running H street was to run the max defroster on full heat when running, never had an issue. Just point the vents outward and away from you as it can get a little warm…

Took this morning to enjoy Atlanta Motorsports Park Member Day. Max temp I hit was 203 and that was two warm-up laps for the tires, 20ish minute session, and a cool down lap. By the end of the cool down lap the temps were back to 190ish.

I finally feel like I can drive the car and not constantly be watching the temp gauge.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Haven’t had a chance to install my radiator yet but what I did to cope with high temps when I was running H street was to run the max defroster on full heat when running, never had an issue. Just point the vents outward and away from you as it can get a little warm…
The defroster engages the AC compressor, which pulls a little power from the engine to drive it, and possibly raises the coolant temp a bit, but it also kicks on the high speed fan setting, which will bring the temps down, at least initially. ;)

The defroster engages the AC compressor, which pulls a little power from the engine to drive it, and possibly raises the coolant temp a bit, but it also kicks on the high speed fan setting, which will bring the temps down, at least initially. ;)
That makes so much sense! I noticed the rougher idle haha didn’t realize I have been competing with a crutch! Still never got above normal temps, and I’ve ran it to limp mode before… (accidentally left the actual A/C on) This last event it was cool so I just ran heat normally! Thanks for the info. No more defroster for me. Well actually I should be changing my radiator this weekend so I shouldn’t have to worry about temps after that!