Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Door Speaker installation Update

antarctica24

Soooo, a 3/4 " ring was made from 6061 aluminum. A rabbit cut was made in the ring to mount the Morel driver flush Then the speaker mounting holes were drilled and tapped. Then 3 holes were drilled in the exact factory mounting location. Larger screws were obtained and used to secure the ring to the factory mounting points. worked like a charm. The inner door panels were removed and each door was coated with boom mat then .5" closed cellular foam (aka Yoga mat) was then attached to the boom mat using liquid nail.(Its not coming off). What these two materials do, the boom mat deadens the metal and the yoga mat deadens the midbass coming off the rear of the speaker. With zero tuning. Once the inner panel was back on, I took an entire sheet of boom mat and just cut up little pieces and applied it all over the inner door panel. Then I took the interior door panel and covered the inside of that with boom mat on every little piece. I didn't put any deadening on anything that would prevent service of any part down the road. I had these drivers connected to my home amp and I can tell you they sounded superb inside the car with the doors shut and with the doors open it was unbelievable how clean the 6" sounded. My hats off to Planet Machine and Tool here in OFallon on their fine work. It was 100.00 for the pair. The new rings took up the exact same amount of space as the factory speaker holder. There were zero clearence issues.
IMG_8377.jpg IMG_8378.jpg IMG_8379.jpg IMG_8966.jpg IMG_8967.jpg IMG_8968.jpg

Negi

so I have a 4ch amp and a 8inch sub with a built in amp.What all do I need to put them on my fist with Sync 3.And also an lc2i,I had bought these to upgrade my focus ST1 but traded it in for the Fist.

Very cool! May I ask, why aluminum mounting rings over using a 3D printed plastic piece?
I saw you did the same with your sub-box and was curious if there were benefits to sound quality with the aluminum mounting rings.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Very cool! May I ask, why aluminum mounting rings over using a 3D printed plastic piece?
I saw you did the same with your sub-box and was curious if there were benefits to sound quality with the aluminum mounting rings.
If you dig back thru his old posts, he did something similar to a corvette. If I remember correctly, the added mass of the solid plate helps reduce unwanted vibrations and keeps the speaker from moving, enabling cleaner sound.

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #5
Like Kinvul said, So with a speaker, you have a ring with a diaphragm that moves back and forth. That movement displaces energy. Any energy that is displaced outside of what is coming from the cone creates distortion. so like the sub box, the box is built of 1.5" thick walls and closed cell foam inside for dampening. If you are playing a sub box, and you lay your hand on it and can feel vibrations coming from the box itself, that will create distortion in the payback. The box movement is making its own sound aside from the sub. So in my case, a 2" aluminum ring to mount the sub to, and then have that ring bolted to 1.5" material helps to reinforce the sub and prevent the box from making noise. Bracing inside a box will help some, like connecting two parallel walls together. Ford didn't care when they stuck that speaker in the door. Audio is always a last thought for car designers. That speaker mounted to that plastic is not helping, so adding the Boom Mat to the plastic panel adds mass and thus makes it harder for the plastic panel to vibrate. The Boom mat added to the door adds mass and works to prevent the metal door panel from vibrating which will add distortion back inside the car. The closed cell yoga mat absorbs sound coming off the back wave of the speaker to help reduce unwanted vibrations. Everything I did is overkill. Most people are not in tune enough with their system to be able to hear it let alone care. But everything I have done makes the system sound cleaner and is scientifically proven to improve the sound of the system. If you care, you want to hear nothing but the speaker. This is beyond curing your common rattles. Anything else just ruins the experience. In addition to adding boom mat to the entire vehicle, Then I used Under Carpet Lite - Sound Absorbtion & Insulation, this is a .5" cotton like material to help reduce unwanted noise and vibration coming into the vehicle from under the car.

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #6
so I have a 4ch amp and a 8inch sub with a built in amp.What all do I need to put them on my fist with Sync 3.And also an lc2i,I had bought these to upgrade my focus ST1 but traded it in for the Fist.
So if you are putting a tweeter and midrange up front, and skipping the rear speakers, the Lc2i will be all you need. You can tap into the rear speaker wires and power the Lc2i to get your signal then to make it easy just use the factory wiring in the front doors and install your new speakers. You will get a Y adapter so you can feed a signal to the sub.
If you are going to use a 6.5" coxial in the front and something similar in the rear doors, you can go about it the same way. What you would do is tap into the rear speakers for the LC2i, then run new wire to the front from the amp to the speakers. I am not a fan of rear speakers. I think they distract from the music. You don't go to a concert and have the band playing behind you so why would you do it in the car. And no one cares about rear passengers. :)

The subs have to go in the rear because 1. building a 4th order bandpass box and porting the subs to the front is too big of a pain in the ass. 2. That's the only place they will fit.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I want to comment with questions but won't cause itll turn into me spending money lol

I have two camps wired up completely but the 4 channel amp is wired to nothing cause I have not wanted to jump down the rabbit hole.

Cause then I'll want your rings, then I'll want to put sound damping stuff in the doors, them the trunk, then the car......scared to start that lol

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #8
I want to comment with questions but won't cause itll turn into me spending money lol

I have two camps wired up completely but the 4 channel amp is wired to nothing cause I have not wanted to jump down the rabbit hole.

Cause then I'll want your rings, then I'll want to put sound damping stuff in the doors, them the trunk, then the car......scared to start that lol
So one box of BoomMat did the whole car it was like 50 sheets I think and was $250.00 from Summit Racing. its just money and you only live once that we are aware of. Might as well enjoy it.