Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Downsides to shift kit?

So I’m thinking of adding a short throw shifter. While the stock is ok, I find the the throws, esp. 3 to 4, a little rubbery. Will a shift kit improve that? Or does only lessen the distance between the throws. Any downside or trade-off? Thanks.

So I’m thinking of adding a short throw shifter. While the stock is ok, I find the the throws, esp. 3 to 4, a little rubbery. Will a shift kit improve that? Or does only lessen the distance between the throws. Any downside or trade-off? Thanks.
When you say "shift kit", do you mean the one from Boomba that is both the adapter and shift lever?

I only have the adapter. Outside of shortening the throws, it will feel a little different. But not sure it can cure your perception of "rubbery". My two suggestions for changing the feel:

1 - Heavier shift knob --> Everyone has their personal preference. But with a heavier knob, I find shift feel to be smoother as the weight does a lot of the work.
2 - Changing transmission fluid --> Your car is brand new, so you may not want to do this any time soon. But I recently changed out the stock fluid for Motul 300 and it made a very noticeable difference in feel. You can tell it is a thicker than the stock fluid because everything just feels more lubricated when shifting.

Pretty sure someone in here that has that shift kit will weigh in and let you know how it feels. You may have already done the reading, but if you get deep enough into this thread you can read some feedback for those that installed it.

None at all. Make sure you pick up the solid bushing kit for the shifter bracket and set at 15% reduction for the throw. It is a little notchy, but it feels really good. Here are some pics from my install almost 2 months ago.

Stock rubber bushings on the left, Boosted Designs solid bushing kit on the right.

shifter bracket and FS Werks shifter plate.

Shifter bracket installed with solid bushings.

FSWerks shifter plate and fastener with loctite.

Shifter cable snapped back on shifter plate pivot ball (15% throw setting).

danbfree

3000 Post Club
None at all. Make sure you pick up the solid bushing kit for the shifter bracket and set at 15% reduction for the throw. It is a little notchy, but it feels really good. Here are some pics from my install almost 2 months ago.
I would say 15% instead of 25% setting is a personal preference... I got one that is single setting plate that is about 20-25% reduction and feel I could go for even more... but while I was in there doing it I do wish I just did the bushings too, so for now I'm going to change out the factory fluid at 10k for Motul...

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The Mountune one one ups the 25% to 30% ...I went from the FSwerks to the mountune. install was a little more difficult but worth it.[clap]

I don't like the feel of SSK in FWD cars. Had one in a Mazda 3 for a bit. Took it out. I think it has to do with the way horizontal travel isn't consistent with vertical travel. If you have pre-2016 car, I would do bushings and RMM.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I don't like the feel of SSK in FWD cars. Had one in a Mazda 3 for a bit. Took it out. I think it has to do with the way horizontal travel isn't consistent with vertical travel. If you have pre-2016 car, I would do bushings and RMM.
I agree that I wouldn't do a SSK in a FWD either unless you also have a RMM upgrade too, if that's what you're saying... Anyone considering a SSK needs to do RMM too or it just wouldn't feel right, in my opinion...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk