Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Drained out 7 qts at oil change?

I'm baffled...changing my oil right now and I filled up my 7 qt drain pan. Coolant level is fine. I don't have a good sense of smell so I can't tell if there is gasoline in the oil. I put 4.5qts in at the last change and haven't lifted the hood since. Is it possible that there could be that much gasoline in the oil? If so, it seems like the smell should be very strong...
I did take it to Ford to have the blend door replaced, they didn't mention adding oil.
Car is running fine, the oil I drained seems normal...
Any thoughts?

I'm baffled...changing my oil right now and I filled up my 7 qt drain pan. Coolant level is fine. I don't have a good sense of smell so I can't tell if there is gasoline in the oil. I put 4.5qts in at the last change and haven't lifted the hood since. Is it possible that there could be that much gasoline in the oil? If so, it seems like the smell should be very strong...
I did take it to Ford to have the blend door replaced, they didn't mention adding oil.
Any thoughts?
The guy with the car in the bay next to yours at the dealer is probably wondering what the heck is wrong with his car- it's acting like it doesn't have any oil!

CSM

1000 Post Club
Any thoughts?
I concur with Typhoon - send to blackstone for an analysis.

did you change filter too? 4.5qt is a LOT for an oil change especially if you didn't replace filter.

As far as fuel dilution. If you were having THAT much fuel diluting out your engine oil, your car would start running quite weird and likely go into limp mode. The 1.5 turbo in the civics is known for doing this in cold weathr.

OP
T
Thread Starter #6
I've sniffed that oil so many times, rubbed it between my fingers and I just can't convince myself that there is gasoline in it...

Peeked down the oil fill cap hole and the cam lobes look perfect.

So let's say some genuis at the dealership overfilled it with 3-4 qts, would there be some noticeable sign?

PunkST

2000 Post Club
If they overfilled it that badly it would smoke like its in a james bond film after going up and down a few hills ( did that on my svtf on accident. Thought i killed the engine somehow)
Is it possible the pan wasnt fully empty?

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
If they overfilled it that badly it would smoke like its in a james bond film after going up and down a few hills ( did that on my svtf on accident. Thought i killed the engine somehow)
Is it possible the pan wasnt fully empty?
It has never smoked at all...that's what I would have expected at well. I'm really wishing that I checked the oil level before hand...
I always check the oil level after to make sure I didn't put to little in. It's unlikely that I didn't drain fully.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I take it your coolant level is all good and the car shows no signs of over heating or a bad headgasket.

Other than it being slower to rev due to the oil was sloshing around the fact that it wasnt smoking makes me think it should be ok. Crazy that it was way over though.

OP
T
Thread Starter #10
Just had my wife smell it and she reeled back and said the smell of gas was very strong...
What should I be looking for?

OP
T
Thread Starter #11
When it was at the dealer, they changed the purge valve as well because it was occasionally stalling after filling the tank.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Leaking injectors, dirty injectors. Probably hasnt failed yet but is for sure causing an issue. Eventually it'll fail and give a misfire code. Wifes mk6 gti did this to us last summer.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
As far as i can tell the two systems stay separated. Evap is only supposed to catch fuel vapors from the tank and engine when not running to be recycled by the car later. If my brain is remembering correctly.

OP
T
Thread Starter #15
If an injector is failing, how can it be pin pointed? I've got an AP to data log, any suggestions on what to look for?

OP
T
Thread Starter #16
Is it possible that the HPFP, which is actuated by the cam, is leaking gas down into the engine?

OP
T
Thread Starter #17
Is it possible that the sedan wiper blades that I put on are causing this?

Just kidding, I'm stressing out over this because it makes no sense that there was 3 qts of gasoline in the oil and I didn't notice any drivability issues...

Seems like it wasn’t going to cause a catastrophic failure immediately so put the right amount of oil in it, drive it a little bit, and see if you can repeat similar results.

OP
T
Thread Starter #20
It's running fine, so drove it to work today.
Ordered the test kit from Blackstone.
I can't believe that some level of engine damage hasn't occurred and regardless of how well it runs I need to find out why...