Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Driver Side Glass Replacement

Good Morning all,

Two nights ago some very neighborly hooligans went up and down my street breaking people's car windows, looks like with a BB gun or similar. They ended up busting my driver side front door glass. Thankfully no door damage.
So I'll be tackling the driver side door glass replacement myself to keep costs down (OEM glass is cheap on Ebay if anyone ever needs) since insurance won't cover OEM glass. I've found a How-To on youtube by Auto Repair Guys, but if anyone else has tackled this on your own and has some pointers I would be grateful! I've not had to take my door panels out yet and it looks like I'll need to remove the inner door liner to fish out some glass chunks

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I don't know who your insurance is...But Progressive here in Mn will cover OEM glass...But if something happens again to the Glass you are on the hook for the next replacement. When my Typhoon needed the glass replaced I was shown by A body shop owner the difference between the Cheap auto glass that is made over seas and the OEM glass

Last edited:
OP
averyislost
Thread Starter #3
Unfortunately no such luck with Geico, they looped it into my normal comprehensive insurance so I'd be on the hook for my deductible. Which of course aftermarket glass is cheaper than the deductible, but if I want OEM glass it's more than the deductible, but they won't cover it. Kind of a catch 22 situation.

I ended up finding some used OEM glass in great shape on eBay for $60. Figured I'd take a chance and buff it out in the event it has some scratches

OP
averyislost
Thread Starter #4
So just as an update to the thread, the used glass that came in had some pretty gnarly scratches on the front side that the eBay seller happened to not get a good picture of. Couldn't deal with it so I went ahead and got new glass ordered from Ford.

In the meantime, I went ahead and installed the used glass so I didn't have to rely on the shattered glass keeping rain out. This video helped install tremendously:
View: https://youtu.be/aEGa2gMvF-M

For anyone needing to do this in the future, it is not difficult but it really requires two people to steady the window when tightening the window regulator bolts to the glass as well as to help steady the window when trying to get it into the window channels. Took us 2 hours in total, mainly due to the extensive vacuuming needed to get all the remnants out. Replacing the used glass with the new piece I imagine should take much less than that (under an hour). [wrenchin]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Greetings from 2021. Ever since the dealer futzed with it a few years ago, been hearing crinkling when raising/lowering the driver side window. Anyone recall noticing anything about a vapor-barrier being there?

Vapor barrier is basically just a big sheet of plastic, tack-glued between the door-panel and door frame. It's similar to the stuff painters use to cover the carpets and furniture.

BTW, that's par for the course for FlEaBay. Then they want to fight over return shipping cost, etcetera. Quit using them.