Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Duel Mass Flywheel/ DMF to Single Mass Flywheel/SMF...Who has done it?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
As the thread states who has done the conversion? And what are the positives and negative you have encountered? Since the fomoco DMF is on intergalactic B/O. SMF may be the only option for someone people and even myself. I am on a fishing expedition for Info . So feel free to share your thoughts. I am also BT..4port Aux...Soon to be Built Clark Trans. also due to my recent failure. Feel free to share your preferred brand, also if your went sprung or unsprung and why. Let the games begin!

Last edited:

Lays

If you go single mass, you have to run a sprung I believe. I don't think it's good for the trans and drivetrain to run an unsprung on SMF / lightweight.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Other than the FiST, all of my cars have had solid flywheels. Even when I ran aftermarket "racing" clutches, i always made sure to have sprung hubs.

Unsprung clutches are a chattery, grabby mess on the street.

I figure the Dual mass set up is for NVH and gas mileage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #4
Other than the FiST, all of my cars have had solid flywheels. Even when I ran aftermarket "racing" clutches, i always made sure to have sprung hubs.

Unsprung clutches are a chattery, grabby mess on the street.

I figure the Dual mass set up is for NVH and gas mileage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly* it's for absorbing drivetrain shock. It's either DMF with unsprung and SMF with a sprung clutch.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
Our clutches are unsprung in the FiST from the factory also*FYI

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I just ordered up the RTS sprung / smf combo. Will be a month most likely before I run it tho since I’m waiting on the transmission.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
I just ordered up the RTS sprung / smf combo. Will be a month most likely before I run it tho since I’m waiting on the transmission.
Which one?

a quick check on the used part market shows a bunch available. i am sure some are from low mileage wrecks right after purchase. heck in my youth i wrecked two new rides first night i had them. lol.
...anyway one availible is right here in minn. just saying.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #9
a quick check on the used part market shows a bunch available. i am sure some are from low mileage wrecks right after purchase. heck in my youth i wrecked two new rides first night i had them. lol.
...anyway one availible is right here in minn. just saying.
Link*

Was going to ask about bolts but clicked on the link and saw it came with bolts too. I did the DMF to SMF on my brother's mustang. Had to add a spacer also on the Slave Cylinder. Did you have to do that on yours?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Nope everything was plug and play. Installed a new slave cylinder with the clutch and apart from it being a bitch to bleed without a power bleeder everything worked like a charm.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #14
Nope everything was plug and play. Installed a new slave cylinder with the clutch and apart from it being a bitch to bleed without a power bleeder everything worked like a charm.
I'm in the Dual friction RTS SMF crowd now....just waiting on my Transmission due to Fomoco and their Intergalactic B/o BS on their Parts for my builder. Hope it's all worth it.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm in the Dual friction RTS SMF crowd now....just waiting on my Transmission due to Fomoco and their Intergalactic B/o BS on their Parts for my builder. Hope it's all worth it.

I was just reviewing this clutch today. I feel like none of the aftermarket options are very good but this one seems to be the best. I've been gone for awhile, where can I read about your transmission failure and plans for the replacement? I saw that Clarke transmission awhile back but it seemed incredibly expensive for what it is.