Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dumb Questions

Hi guys. As the title says, I have what are likely a couple dumb questions.

First, background... I bought a 2015 FiST used from a dealership a couple months ago, they did some safety related maintenance and check ups so I wasn't too worried about the car. The previous owner had installed a Turbosmart blowoff, not sure which exact one. Possibly will be trying to figure that out based on answers...

So basically, when the car is idling in neutral the engine noise (not exhaust noise) becomes much louder. I am wondering if this could be due to an electronic blowoff opening in idle? Or is it normal and I'm just over thinking?

And secondly, when idling in neutral there is a rattling sound in the engine bay (not loud enough to hear from inside the car, even with the windows open, have to stand in front) which sounds plasticky. I'm guessing its one of the many shrouds that are covering stuff up, but was wondering if there are common ones that go loose or have clips than can break etc. I checked in the rattle and noise thread and didnt find anything that seemed to be the same

I'm probably going to take it into a mechanic just to have them look over the car and soothe my nerves a bit, but I figured anything I can solve myself (with help from the forums of course :D) would be more than welcome...

Thanks!

Last edited:

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Is it a turbosmart wastegate or Blow-Off Valve/Bypass Valve? Take a photo and post it. If it's a wastegate, this would raise a lot of concerns, primarily surrounding if the car is tuned for the stiffer wategate.

As far as the noises, a video would be helpful. Direct Injected engines (and our's specifically) make quite a bit of noise that is all normal (HPFP, injectors, etc). I also find that the throw out bearing/dual-mass flywheel is quite loud at idle with the clutch out.

OP
Slabba
Thread Starter #3
Is it a turbosmart wastegate or Blow-Off Valve/Bypass Valve? Take a photo and post it. If it's a wastegate, this would raise a lot of concerns, primarily surrounding if the car is tuned for the stiffer wategate.

As far as the noises, a video would be helpful. Direct Injected engines (and our's specifically) make quite a bit of noise that is all normal (HPFP, injectors, etc). I also find that the throw out bearing/dual-mass flywheel is quite loud at idle with the clutch out.
yes, sorry, blowoff. not wastegate. will post a video soon. I am extremely unfamiliar with 4-cyls, but a lot of them do seem to idle very noisily

I will edit the OP for that mistake, thanks

If you are sure it’s turbosmart we can figure this out. First off, does it always have a dolphin kind of sound or at higher boost does it sound like a truck air brake? If it sounds like an air brake at high boost and makes dolphin noises at low boost it’s a dual port. If it always sounds like a dolphin it’s a plumb back. If you give it gas, throttle back some but don’t fully release it, hold that position, and it sounds like it’s leaking then it’s one of there EM models that plugs into the stock wiring.

I have an EM Dual port. It was the first thing I did because turbo noises are cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Slabba
Thread Starter #6
If you are sure it’s turbosmart we can figure this out. First off, does it always have a dolphin kind of sound or at higher boost does it sound like a truck air brake? If it sounds like an air brake at high boost and makes dolphin noises at low boost it’s a dual port. If it always sounds like a dolphin it’s a plumb back. If you give it gas, throttle back some but don’t fully release it, hold that position, and it sounds like it’s leaking then it’s one of there EM models that plugs into the stock wiring.

I have an EM Dual port. It was the first thing I did because turbo noises are cool.

Thanks for that info, much appreciated. It does the flutter at low boost, air brake type noise at high boost. And it does do that boost leak noise thing, I have been wondering about that but it's easy enough to avoid lol. I thought it was related to spring strength but I really don't understand EFI engines at all lol (or forced induction carbs for that matter)

I'm still meaning to post a video of the engine bay noise, but I've been busy as all hell between my 9-5 and side business. Apologies!

Thanks for that info, much appreciated. It does the flutter at low boost, air brake type noise at high boost. And it does do that boost leak noise thing, I have been wondering about that but it's easy enough to avoid lol. I thought it was related to spring strength but I really don't understand EFI engines at all lol (or forced induction carbs for that matter)

I'm still meaning to post a video of the engine bay noise, but I've been busy as all hell between my 9-5 and side business. Apologies!
That noise is normal. The stock one does that too you just don’t hear it. This is most likely what you have. The same as mine. https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopi...smart-em-bov-dual-port-v2-fiesta-st-2014-2018

regarding the rattling sound do you know if the car has an aftermarket rear motor mount after installing mine I noticed that I could hear a lot more engine bay noise when ever idling on a slight incline.

I have the same sound when not releasing the throttle fully. I have the GFB DV+. Does your car feel like it loses a small amount of power when you hear this "boost leak sound"?