Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dynojet vs. Mustang Dyno

Since we are starting to see dynamometers being talked about, I thought it may be helpful to have an explanation of the different dynos being referenced, for those who are less familiar with them (like myself). I found this posted on a Evo forum, seems to be a pretty good summary of the Mustang and Dynojet.

We had an opportunity to dyno an EVO MR 2006 that was just dynoed at a popular local Dynojet. We always new the numbers were lower, but it is hard to quantify the difference without back to back tests. This customer was tuned at the Dyno Jet, then was here to pick up some parts. I offered to do a few pulls free of charge to see the numbers from one dyno to another. This NOT a tuner or shop comparison. It is ONLY a dyno comparison for the community to have a point of reference. I found the numbers to be quite interesting.

There is a few things here to note(DYNOJET). The major differences in the two types of dynos are their principals of operation. A true inertia dyno (such as the Dynojet 224x or 248) uses large steel rollers that contain mass. This mass is fixed, it can never change, and for those that remember high school physics, Force = Mass x Acceleration. Since every Dynojet dyno on the face of the earth has a mass that has been precisely quantified using a proprietary process, and that value is stored in the dyno software for each dyno, not only are the horsepower numbers consistent every morning, noon and night, but each and every Dynojet is relative to one another.

Once that power has been measured(DYNOJET), there are two ways to look at it, corrected or uncorrected. Since every Dynojet dyno is equipped with electronics that measure the atmospheric pressure, temperature, and humidity, the results are able to be analyzed as a ?corrected value?. This allows an ?apples to apples? comparison when testing in regions that are at different altitudes, which affects the atmospheric pressure, and different temperature. Uncorrected would eliminate the factors and provide a more raw number. ******Use SAE Corrected for the value, the old STD Corrected will give high numbers and should not be evaluated**

Things to note on the electric type load chassis dynos?. These types (Mustang, Dyno Dymamics) of dynos utilize rollers that usually have very little mass, hence they?re not a true inertia chassis dyno. In order to present any type of physical load on the vehicle, there needs to be a PAU (power absorption unit). Typically this PAU is in the form of electrical coils that utilize eddy current technology (think of this as a big electric brake). These dynos rely on a Load Cell for measurement. For our purposes, the Mustang, has a method to calibrate this load cell for accurate measurement. Once the load cell(there is no need to calibrate this every day) is calibrated properly, the dyno operator must enter certain parameters about the test vehicle that determine the rate of acceleration the dyno will allow, and are ultimately directly responsible for the power and torque readings that are displayed on the graph. The Mustang software takes this a few steps further, but you get the idea for this write up.

The idea here is, you need to be sure you get all the data. Know what correction factor you are running...this applies to all dynos. Be sure the weather station is working correctly for the DJ and the MD, if applicable. Find out what vehicle weight and HP@50 is entered into the MD software for apples to apple results. Be sure you have you DJ on SAE CORR and ask to see the Mustang numbers from the run page. The WCF(with correction factor) and corrected numbers.

You can take it a step further, if you so choose. Now this suggestion I make very carefully, as not every tuner will appreciate a barrage of questions. You can get data like load/MAF scaling/Boost/etc. to help qualify the data further.

So what should you take away from this?? Ask questions, understand the dyno is a tuning tool ONLY. Delta change from stock is what is important, not the actual number. Finally, enjoy the car, whatever the number, it should be fun to drive!

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Spot on with my experience too as far as how the dynos work. [:o] I'm perfectly happy with the Cobb tune and the difference it makes over the stock map. The baseline numbers don't mean a whole lot, although EVERYONE wants to know how their car compares to the stock SAE rating of 197 hp (approximately 176 hp at the wheels when you factor in driveline loss).

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Good stuff, this means pelotonracer2 should get retested haha.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Yes, I will try a Dynojet soon to compare against the Mustang Dyno. But for scientific integrity, I will go back to Cobb to verify gains of all new modifications to compare against my base line runs.

It's fairly common knowledge that DJ dynos "make" higher numbers than MD and others. That doesn't mean they are better. My hp numbers are just the lowest I have ever come across... globally. [giggle] I'd feel a lot better if several other FiSTs had been dyno'd at the same place and time as mine (the more the better). [thumb] According to Chris @ Cobb Plano, mine is the one and only Fiesta ST they have put on their dyno. [confuse]

I was quite surprised by the differences between the two dynos...

Edmunds.com stock fiesta st run on a Dyno jet with 91 octane was 184hp 221tq vs pelotonracer2's runs on the Mustang.

I guess as long as you stick with the same Dyno you can accurately gauge your improvements. But can be a pain if comparing with other people...

So if dynos are only a tool for tuning, how can Ford or any other car manufacturer say their horsepower numbers are factual?

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I was quite surprised by the differences between the two dynos...

Edmunds.com stock fiesta st run on a Dyno jet with 91 octane was 184hp 221tq vs pelotonracer2's runs on the Mustang.

I guess as long as you stick with the same Dyno you can accurately gauge your improvements. But can be a pain if comparing with other people...
Yeah and not so good for bragging rights! hehe

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
There are SAE standards used by manufacturers.
^^^^ This, and they also measure power at the flywheel. The SAE standard just means that all manufacturers follow the same input" standard for measuring and rating their vehicles. That way consumers know that horsepower ratings are an industry standard and not different between the different car makers (like it was in the past). [:)]

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Ok, so I have now completed dyno tests on two different dynos and on two different days. The numbers could not be much more different (as expected). My best run @ Cobb Tuning Plano (on a Mustang Dyno) resulted in 172 hp & 247 pft of torque (which equates roughly to 192 hp & 276 pft torque @ the flywheel given a 12% driveline loss). This particular test was my baseline and only includes a Cobb panel filter and Cobb AP 93 octane Stage 1 tune. Today I took my Fiesta ST to LG Motorsports (they use a Dynojet 224x chassis dyno) which is actually only a 10th of a mile from Cobb Plano (literally just down the street). I mainly just wanted to see how drastic the difference "could be" and there was absolutely no scientific logic for me to do this (especially since I added an exhaust system to the mix since my last dyno session @ Cobb). Anyways, my best run on the Dynojet produced 181 hp & 228 pft torque to the wheels. That equates to roughly 203 hp & 255 pft @ the flywheel with Cobb AP 93 octane stage 1 tune and Scorpion exhaust system. Interestingly enough, LG did NOT use a fan in front of my car and they did NOT do any cool down between runs. Every subsequent run made more power/torque than the previous run. I really wish I had paid for a 4th and 5th pull as well. The Cobb dyno runs were used with a fan pointed at the radiator. Anyways, now I will go back to Cobb and do an official re-test with the exhaust system to compare against my baseline runs (for scientific data) to see if any gains were made with the exhaust system. We'll see what happens next. Today my FSWERKs intake should arrive but I will not install it until I get back over to Cobb to test the exhaust system independently. [:o]

OP
ileftthestoveon
Thread Starter #14
Wow, +25hp and -21pft at the flywheel. Thats quite a substantial variation, thanks for the comparison!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Ahh the Joy of dyno's Looks nice and I look forward to the next installment of "As The Dyno Turns" starring the lil heart Throb "Mr Silver FiST "... ;)

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Wow, +25hp and -21pft at the flywheel. Thats quite a substantial variation, thanks for the comparison!
Not exactly. I mistyped the flywheel horsepower number for the LG test... should read 202-203 hp & 255 pft for LG test. I think a 4th and 5th pull would have produced even more power. The first run was around 172-173hp... 2nd run 178 hp and the 3rd run was 181 hp. Torque went from 209 to 228 from first pull to 3rd and final pull. Frankly, I don't know why they didn't use a fan. That's the first time I've ever had a dyno run done without a monster fan pointed at the front of the car. Doesn't appear that heat soak was an issue based on the power numbers though... [dunno]

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
How does it ride? Torque steer? Wheel spin?
Yes and YES. Keep in mind, my car has sticky 215/40-17 Dunlop Direzza D2s on 7.5" wide wheels. 1st gear produces a lot of wheel spin and torque steer. The shift from 1st to 2nd lays down around 10-15ft of wheel spin before traction is achieved in 2nd gear (if I shift hard and don't pull my foot off the throttle completely), 3rd gear pulls like a freaking beast!!! 1st and 2nd gear reminds me of my outgoing 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 now. The torque steer "kick" also reminds me of a 1984-1985 Pontiac Skyhawk Turbo. That car produced a TON of torque steer (and that made it pretty entertaining as it was an automatic). lol. With the Fiesta ST after these mods, you have to really have a good hold on the steering wheel as it tries to kick away from your hand. Even in 2nd gear from about a 30-35 mph roll the steering wheel will kick one way or the other. I can't even imagine what my car would be like with the stock 205 width tires... the word "overwhelmed" comes to mind...

As far as drivability is concerned, the car is SUPER responsive to throttle input, throttle response is phenomenal, with no hint of boost lag, even at moderate road speeds and high gear. Near instantaneous forward thrust. I LOVE the results so far! [rockon]

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
So even with your sweet DZll's on you can still break them loose at will ?? So much for those that say we have a Type Of Ediff in TVC seem like it not do much in a straight line as some have said.
Now are you still running the 93 tune or the 91 tune I forget plz humor me ..