Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

E-brake (parking brake) line adjustment at the hub?

XuperXero

I did a brake job recently swapping front rotors and pads and bled all 4 corners. While bleeding the rears, one of the first thing I noticed was...

Anybody know how to adjust them to make them even? Brake pad wear on both sides are even, so it does not seem to be affected, but noticing this difference in gap between left and right makes me uncomfortable.

Thanks!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
206-05 Parking Brake and Actuation 2014 Fiesta
General Procedures Procedure revision date: 04/11/2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parking Brake Cable Adjustment - 1.6L EcoBoost (132kW/180PS) - Sigma

Refer to: Floor Console (501-12 Instrument Panel and Console, Removal and Installation).

Refer to: Wheel and Tire (204-04A Wheels and Tires, Removal and Installation).

NOTE: Make sure the parking brake control is fully released.

NOTE: This step requires the aid of another technician.

Insert a 1.0 mm feeler gauge between the parking brake lever and the brake caliper bracket abutment, on both sides.
General Equipment : Feeler Gauge
Tighten the parking brake cable adjustment nut until movement is observed on one of the parking brake levers.

Remove the feeler gauges.

On both sides.
Refer to: Wheel and Tire (204-04A Wheels and Tires, Removal and Installation).

Refer to: Floor Console (501-12 Instrument Panel and Console, Removal and Installation).

Copyright ? Ford Motor Company

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #3
Thanks Rodmoe.

But I've seen this before, and currently my driver's side is already at the 1mm spec gap... The passenger side is... pretty far off with no sight of being able to adjust it. I always knew that when I did J turns, one of the rear wheel wasn't locking up. Now I know why.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
To check if you need to adjust it jack the passenger side up with the ebrake one try to turn the wheel. The best is try to loosen a lug nut. If it spins you need to adjust. Not sure how though.

Looks like only one side is engaging the brake. There is prolly an adjustment that can be done where the cable is split into 2 lines. It is most likely located under the center console or under the car about mid way down after the lines come through the floor pan.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Maybe the only part of the car I have not looked at, tweaked, modded, etc is where the two parking brake cables met the single cable going to the lever. On other cars I have seen different methods to allow them to self adjust, simplest is just a half circle where the cables meet up, tied to a single wrap around the circle, can slip to auto adjust.

I just got my parking brake working after 2+ years without one, seldom drive the car though, DIY 4 piston rear BBK, ears on the calipers for the brake cables, it was not working so well so I yanked hard on the lever, released it, hard again, a few times, then the brakes evened out well. It locks the wheels up really well on both sides now, I cannot move them a bit when on jack stands, will see how it works on hills in a couple of weeks or so.

I would try what I did first, not working out make sure the levers on both calipers and not binding up, if not then the next step could mean dropping the exhaust and heat shield in the middle of the car, much more involved.

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #8
Confirmed, only 1 side engaging brake when ebrake is up. I drove couple meters with ebrake up and had visual confirmation from my coworker that 1 side was locked and the other side was spinning.

Ford Community Posts