Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

E30 Mixing guide?

Hello people. First thread so I don’t know if this belongs on this board but…

I am currently about to run an e30 custom flash tune with Stratified. And in need of a comprehensive guide on the procedure of fueling with e30, what to do on my first fill up etc. Just general pointers really.

My brother is adamant that running e30 as a daily driver is a pain in the ass(he’s never even run ethanol before lol), which probably isn’t the case for us FiST owners.

thanks !

The general consensus is the following:
- Fill up with 3 gallons of ethanol and top off with pump gas for the rest
- When refilling, wait until you're at 1/4 tank or less and repeat the above
- On your first tank of E30, don't run your car hard for the first few minutes as you need to burn off the pump gas that's still in your lines.
- Once in a while it's a good idea to check the ethanol content of your ethanol station, and to also run a tank of regular pump gas to "reset" the mix of gas in your car.

I may have missed a few things but that's the major stuff. Enjoy your E30 tune!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I use 3.5 gallons per tank to compensate for E85 that might fall short of target. As far as I know, the only downside would be lower mpg.

Not to highjack thread, but if E85 is less expensive than gasoline, doesn't it behoove the E85 distributors to err on the rich side rather than the lean side? I.e. isn't it less expensive (more profitable) to sell true E85 than E80?

Hello people. First thread so I don’t know if this belongs on this board but…

I am currently about to run an e30 custom flash tune with Stratified. And in need of a comprehensive guide on the procedure of fueling with e30, what to do on my first fill up etc. Just general pointers really.

My brother is adamant that running e30 as a daily driver is a pain in the ass(he’s never even run ethanol before lol), which probably isn’t the case for us FiST owners.

thanks !
Pretty simple if you live near an e85 pump and assume what comes out is close to 85%. Put in 3 gals of e85 and fill the rest with premium. After that, use .75 gal e85 per quarter tank; so, if you have a quarter tank left, do 2.25 gals and the rest in premium.

Your brother isn't wrong. E30 is fun but the torque hit can really overwhelm the front grip. G'luck.

DEss

OP
Volker45
Thread Starter #7
The general consensus is the following:
- Fill up with 3 gallons of ethanol and top off with pump gas for the rest
- When refilling, wait until you're at 1/4 tank or less and repeat the above
- On your first tank of E30, don't run your car hard for the first few minutes as you need to burn off the pump gas that's still in your lines.
- Once in a while it's a good idea to check the ethanol content of your ethanol station, and to also run a tank of regular pump gas to "reset" the mix of gas in your car.

I may have missed a few things but that's the major stuff. Enjoy your E30 tune!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
THANKS ! Cant wait to rip it

How often should I reset the mix of gas?

I have just one E85 station near me and the gas AVERAGES around E55 (I have measured it as low as E50). I have a large 14 gallon gas can with a hose and hand pump and I hand mix every fill up because my I don't trust the E content. For me to fill that 14 gallon can it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 5+ gallons E85 with around 7-9 gallons 93. his will last me 2 weeks of DD so I really don't mind doing it. If I'm taking a long trip somewhere, I just go back to my 93 tune. The E30 tune is super fun though, and the E85 is about .85 cents per gallon cheaper than 93 octane.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do you need to do anything special to mix up the 93 and e85 in the gas tank, or does pumping it in mix it sufficiently?

jeff

2000 Post Club
@Volker45

1, there are good apps that show how much mixture you need for what size tank and ethanol percentage you are aiming for...I posted a screenshot below of what I use...honestly just screenshot that pic to your phone, it's all you need if you're filling up a mostly empty tank...

2, definitely test the ethanol before you put it in your car...I carry a little kit (Amazon, cheap) around and it's super quick, once you're at the pump just put a little in a cup or in your gas jug cap, test real quick, you're good...make sure you have pre-filled your tester with the right amount of water...if you can't find decent ethanol you should use pump gas...

3, your brother is right and wrong...I ran ethanol 30 for a few years, then had to make a long road trip where I couldn't guarantee good ethanol so I went to pump tune for the trip, lo and behold the car was more manageable and better mpgs of course....drove it on 93 for the next 18 months or so...about 2 weeks ago I figured what the heck I'll be dead soon and so I put some healthy ethanol in there again, whoah nelly I forgot how nice that extra 27hp and 15tq was....no only is there more power everywhere but power delivery is the thing I was surprised about in a good way, it comes on much quicker...the smiles are bigger...sure there's some drama when I floor it in 2nd but that's half the fun....at this point I'm gonna stay on ethanol for awhile for the fun factor....nothing like those 3rd gear pulls....

I also posted my dynos of 93 vs. e30 for reference below.

PS for all you Pumaspeed haters my car's redline in the dyno below was 6500rpms...later I had it raised to 7200rpms...I am sure there would be a few extra hps had I dyno'd it to the 7200rpm redline. :whistle:

Hope that helps!

https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/newer-fiesta/1643201576914.html]
[/URL]

https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/pipes-1/fixed-jst-93-vs-rg.html]
[/URL]

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is probably a dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get my e85 from a gas can into my gas tank. There's some interlock on the inner door that I can't figure out how to open. Am I missing something?

Jabbit

2000 Post Club

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
There is a Little funnel that you get with the FiST....it should be in the back with spare tire or side enclaves. This funnel is to be used when adding fuel or addtives into the FiST. If the funnel isnt used it will just dump onto the ground. This is a part of the capless EVAP system.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
There is a Little funnel that you get with the FiST....it should be in the back with spare tire or side enclaves. This funnel is to be used when adding fuel or addtives into the FiST. If the funnel isnt used it will just dump onto the ground. This is a part of the capless EVAP system.
I bought mine used, and the Jack and funnel were missing.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
This is probably a dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get my e85 from a gas can into my gas tank. There's some interlock on the inner door that I can't figure out how to open. Am I missing something?
You could make your life MUCH easier by purchasing one or two of these. I fill each with 6gal e30 mix and keep them at home. 6gal is 1/2tank so when I get below 1/2 on the gauge, I just dump a can in and the car is full again. VP nozzles insert without any issues and the fuel dispenses quickly.

Edit: I can’t hotlink from my phone for some reason. Try this: VP Racing Fuels 3512 + 3044B 5 Gallon Square Red Racing Utility Jug w/ 14 Inch Deluxe Filler Hose https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AVQC01U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_A75NRV567K68GM968EG4?psc=1