Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

E30 tune...maybe

So I finally am going to use my e30 tune, there is only one station relatively close to me w/e85 so I have not had the ambition to do it yet. Went today and filled a 14 gallon gas can with 3.4 gal e85 and 9.6 gal of regular 93 for 13 gallons of e30....so I thought. I grabbed and extra can and put another gallon of e85 in it just in case. Being the paranoid type I bought an ethanol tester because I wanted to be sure, ummm how about e15!! I then checked the straight e85 and it measures e55!!! WTF? I know it will not always be perfectly e85 but that just seems ridiculous to me. I took out 3 gallons from the big can and added the remaining gallon of e85 and now I'm at e20 or so. I'm kind of pissed but very relieved I did not just fill up and hope for the best. I guess back to the station for another 5 gallons and custom mixing.

Erick_V

I wouldn't be concerned, most tuners state on their site to pump 3 gallons of E85 and the rest with 93 anyways. My station is pretty consistent so I always know the minimum that I have to pump in. I know tester kits are pretty cheap but I don't have the patience for that so I just installed a gauge and now I don't have to worry lol. I would invest in a gauge if you're really paranoid because once you use Ethanol you don't want to go back, I've only ran one tank of 93 in the past 2 years.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I spoke to a very prominent and well-regarded tuner about running E30 and he definitely advised running a sensor to avoid potential engine damage due to bad mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Geebs
Thread Starter #5
I hand mixed and tested today about 5 times before I came up with the right mix, on the plus side I have a full tank and about another 8-10 gallons of gas so it should last me a few weeks.....a sensor WILL be in my future:)

Erick_V

I spoke to a very prominent and well-regarded tuner about running E30 and he definitely advised running a sensor to avoid potential engine damage due to bad mix.

I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind this. Not because I want to call them wrong or argue just purely out of curiosity.

Brianmc27

I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind this. Not because I want to call them wrong or argue just purely out of curiosity.
Also seems odd to leave the tuner’s name out... not like it’s a bad recommendation or anything.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I don't bother with ethanol sensors, I just keep the OAR up on my accessport. It's only gone above -1.00 to -0.99 because I tried filling up with 87 with E85.

If I ever see the OAR change to anything more than -1.00 I'll just swing into a station and add another gallon or so.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Also seems odd to leave the tuner’s name out... not like it’s a bad recommendation or anything.
Randy at Mountune. I was picking his brain on running E30 and he definitely advised on running a sensor to avoid catastrophic engine failures he’s seen with bad E30 mixes.

I’d like to think he might be correct.

with each change in season I take a mason jar to the gas station and take a sample of their E85 so I can test it. The tester is cheap and it takes about five minutes. At the station I use here in Central Ohio I have always tested it and it is right at 85%. A label on the pump warns that it can be lower, but in the last couple of years it never has been.

CSM

1000 Post Club
E85 is anywhere from 51 to 83%.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
SUPPOSEDLY.

When I lived in Charlotte, the BP in Fort Mill SC ALWAYS tested consistently at 90%.

WHen I lived in Atlanta, there was a Circle K near my house that tested as low as 25% one time!!!

CSM

1000 Post Club
with each change in season I take a mason jar to the gas station and take a sample of their E85 so I can test it. The tester is cheap and it takes about five minutes. At the station I use here in Central Ohio I have always tested it and it is right at 85%. A label on the pump warns that it can be lower, but in the last couple of years it never has been.
I'm also in Ohio, and i have to say, Speedway E85 almost always tests at 80-85% near my house, between three different stations

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm also in Ohio, and i have to say, Speedway E85 almost always tests at 80-85% near my house, between three different stations
Man, I WISH I could say that bolded above in reference to E85 dispensing stations in my area!! [:(]