Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

(early) Springtime tune up advice needed

Happy new year from the great white north!

So this might be kind of a vague question but hopefully somebody can steer me in the right direction. My 2014 FiST is just about to approach 150,000 km (94k miles) and it's probably a bit early for a spring tune up but I just want to get an idea.

The car runs great, there's no issues or codes/lights, but I have noticed my fuel mileage isn't as good as I think it should be. I seem to average around 10.5 L per 100 km in city driving. Or roughly 26 miles to the gallon Imperial, which I believe is around 23 in the smaller US gallon. Which I don't think is up to snuff because I don't beat the car up!

So I don't have records of the o2 sensors being done. And I would assume probably replacing the plugs and air filter would be a good plan. Am I getting close to being due for the timing belt?

Anything you guys would recommend for this kind of mileage? Cheers!

Business6

Replace the weather seals around the sunroof if you have one and the windshield. Lube the locks again and uh, I dunno, general maintenance? Check the usual suspects for rust?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do both 02 sensors as they get dirty over the course if time and become less responsive. Id be also doing some spark plugs and replacing or cleanng the air filter depending on the type of filter you have in the airbox. Make sure all the tires are at the Pressure fomoco wants* unless your tracking the Car.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
You'll always get worse mileage in the winter. Sometimes much worse. It takes a long time for the engine to get up to temperature. Just do the regular things, and if it still gets crappy mileage when it warms up, then you have a problem. Ford says to change the belt @ 150,000 m/240,000 km, so you're not there yet.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I thought the timing belt was due at 100k miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
FOR REF.

I DID MINE AT 150K ON A 2017 AND THE BELT LOOKED BRAND NEW. NOT NEW BUT SHOWED NO SIGNS OF ANY WEAR, BUT AS WITH THE OTHER BELT THREAD.....THE BELTS GO. THEY DON'T USUALLY SHOW MUCH AGE

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
Thanks for the input. The car doesn't have a sunroof but that's a good idea about the weather stripping on the doors.

I was curious about the o2 sensors because I figured if they were getting faulty or old that they would throw a code and a check engine light? As far as I know they are original and the car now is 8 years old but again it seems to run well and because it has been unseasonably cold up in Vancouver the mileage dip would make sense. I think I might just do them because they're not really that expensive, as well as the plugs and air filter.

Good to know about the timing belt interval. Looks like I have a ways to go assuming it's 150k miles not kilometers.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks for the input. The car doesn't have a sunroof but that's a good idea about the weather stripping on the doors.

I was curious about the o2 sensors because I figured if they were getting faulty or old that they would throw a code and a check engine light? As far as I know they are original and the car now is 8 years old but again it seems to run well and because it has been unseasonably cold up in Vancouver the mileage dip would make sense. I think I might just do them because they're not really that expensive, as well as the plugs and air filter.

Good to know about the timing belt interval. Looks like I have a ways to go assuming it's 150k miles not kilometers.
The o2 sensors get Dirty due to exhaust * they become less reactive over time and drag fuel economy down. Its simple....Things wear overtime with use no matter what the item is. They should be replaced every 75k as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
IM WITH TYPHOON

NO MATTER WHAT I DON'T GET TOO GOOD MPG ANYMORE SO I'M GETTING CLOSE TO PUTTING NEW O2s

OP
T
Thread Starter #13
Excellent! I'm coming from a BMW 330 Coupe, which although was an awesome car, it did seem to throw the cel lights a bit often as the mileage climbed! Lol. This little thing has been bulletproof so far so I want to get everything I can out of it and keep it running at its optimum. Thanks guys

Sam4

I'm ordering that vapor/check valve spiderweb which apparently is the cause of the fill up hiccups and quasi-stalling (D2BZ-9C047-E). I grabbed the valve itself (Bosch) from Rock, but all the hoses are that plastic molded crap - I'll retrofit off the car and reuse as my future inventory. If you're under there is all I'm saying!! I've recently replaced the vapor tank in the rear, too. Not by choice. Rear shock mounts tend towards movement. Just put a socket on every bolt and nut you see.

OP
T
Thread Starter #15
I've had that stumbling ever since I've had the car last June but it hasn't really bothered me as it works itself out pretty quickly.

I did go to Rock and lookee up the O2 sensors and it looks like there's just an upstream and downstream one but there's quite a few different brands so I'm not sure if it makes a difference? Any recommendations as far as Denso, Motorcraft, Bosch etc...?

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I've had that stumbling ever since I've had the car last June but it hasn't really bothered me as it works itself out pretty quickly.

I did go to Rock and lookee up the O2 sensors and it looks like there's just an upstream and downstream one but there's quite a few different brands so I'm not sure if it makes a difference? Any recommendations as far as Denso, Motorcraft, Bosch etc...?
Motorcraft

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

Denson is mostly all main manufacturers go to* One of the Best in the Industry. Stay away from Bosch*

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Mine did this after the last fill up for the very first time since taking delivery of the car new, in 10/16 (and 36K miles), but it was very slight and cleared out within 5 seconds.

OP
T
Thread Starter #19
Mine did this after the last fill up for the very first time since taking delivery of the car new, in 10/16 (and 36K miles), but it was very slight and cleared out within 5 seconds.
From my understanding is as soon as the gas pump clicks full, you don't top it up, at all! I think this can be the cause of the problem, but I found basically if there is any stumbling just after a fill it's gone pretty quickly. Hasn't bothered me.

And thanks for the input regarding the O2 sensors!

One last question to those reading this. Assuming the car is 100% stock (except for the bilstein coilovers) - when it comes time to change my plugs should I just go with the OEM gap - ford/Motorcraft plugs?

Sam4

Denson is mostly all main manufacturers go to* One of the Best in the Industry. Stay away from Bosch*

Bosch is only the inventor of modern fuel injection. Motorcraft will have the actual manufacturer of whatever is in their box stamped on the item.