Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Easy wire under dash to use for illumination?

I just installed a mechanical boost gauge and would like to hook it up to an illumination circuit but I’m pretty sure most of the dash lights are LED and probably don’t use a standard 12v signal. I’m also pretty sure the auto headlights are complicating things further and I would really like to retain the use of the Auto function for the lights. Is this possible?

Also, damn these modern electrical systems.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Why not just wire it to a hot when running fuse behind the glove box.
What difference does it make if it is lit all the time.
During the day you wont even notice the light and at night you will want to see it whenever the engine is running.

OP
bflan2001
Thread Starter #3
Why not just wire it to a hot when running fuse behind the glove box.
What difference does it make if it is lit all the time.
During the day you wont even notice the light and at night you will want to see it whenever the engine is running.
That might be what I end up doing, I was just hoping to find an illumination circuit so that I could dim the gauge with the rest of the dash. In my experience most of these aftermarket gauges are way too bright at full power. Maybe it would be easier to just throw a resistor inline to dim it.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
You should also check because most aftermarket gauges, the LEDs don't dim.