Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Electrical/wiring horn question

jeff

2000 Post Club
Non ST question here but please chime in if you can help, lots of smart guys here I figured someone would know the answer...

I'm not a master electrician, I can wire fans and add outlets and etc. but that's about it. Very simple solution to my issue I am sure but I can't figure it out.

SO

I have a project car, the car has an aftermarket steering wheel with a hub adapter. The adapter has a red power wire that hooks up to the car, no black ground, to power the horn, and it works. Enter quick release adapter which I'm fitting between the wheel (which has the working horn button) and the hub adapter. The quick release adapter has both power (red) and ground (black) wires both where it interfaces with the hub adapter and the wheel itself. The wheel itself, which has a horn, only has a red wire.

CAR----->HUB ADAPTER (red wire only) ----->QUICK RELEASE ADAPTER (red and black wires to on both sides) -----> WHEEL w/HORN (red wire only)

The horn works fine before I added the quick release adapter. Once I add the quick release and wire it up, the horn does not work. The black has nowhere to go. I tried grounding the black wire on the wheel itself but the horn still doesn't work. If I touch the red wires to the car anywhere, the horn beeps.

Ok that's my story. I'm confused and can't figure this out. Any insight would be epic. Thanks.