Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine running poor after timing belt

Jwerve

I did the timing belt over the weekend right down to the ford manual. Now that the car is back together its not driving correctly. Not a single engine code. It idles normal but as soon as the clutch goes in its starts to bog down and stumbles for a second almost stalling out. Went for a drive around the block and it doesn't seem to accelerate at all, it builds boost just fine but no ass. I'm kind of at a loss here and I'm ready to spend my savings at a shop.... Any insight would greatly be appreciated!

kevinatfms

Did you use new TTY fasteners for retiming of the engine?

Crank pulley bolt, VCT sprocket bolts are all TTY fasteners that need to be replaced EVERY time you loosen them. This is especially needed due to the crankshaft and camshafts being of the keyless design. Any loss of clamping force can allow them to move out of time.

Another thing we encountered was the crank sensor that was nearly frozen in place. When prying on it did you maybe crack the housing?

Also check the crank pulley that the sensor tone ring wasnt damaged in some capacity.

OP
J

Jwerve

Thread Starter #6
Did you use new TTY fasteners for retiming of the engine?

Crank pulley bolt, VCT sprocket bolts are all TTY fasteners that need to be replaced EVERY time you loosen them. This is especially needed due to the crankshaft and camshafts being of the keyless design. Any loss of clamping force can allow them to move out of time.

Another thing we encountered was the crank sensor that was nearly frozen in place. When prying on it did you maybe crack the housing?

Also check the crank pulley that the sensor tone ring wasnt damaged in some capacity.
Honestly everything came out like butter. Yes new bolts for just about everything that came out, new timing cover new everything i really didnt cheap out on parts. At 135k now and nothing was really froze in place. But everything is possible, ill have to pull it apart AGAIN

kevinatfms

Id check the back of the crank pulley with a telescopic mirror. The tone ring is just a small slit in the ring on the back but if you insert the tool the incorrect way and tighten it down you can actually bend the ring in to where it wont read properly and lose crank signal.

Logging PIDs is another good way to watch the signals and see if any flat line when you tip into the throttle.