Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine sounds more buzzy

So I come back from a drive a few days ago and notice that engine noise became more... buzzy. It's not terrible, but definitely audible if you're used to how it sounds normally.

It can't really be heard on idle and sounds a bit more pronounced at a few RPMs, like maybe 2.2k... It can be heard on revs with depressed clutch, so it's not the regular DMF/transmission rattle. There's no thrown codes and loss of power and engine sounds even otherwise. There are no fluid leaks that I can see. Powertrain has zero mods and is completely stock; 75k km on the odometer. Going in for inspection in the shop next week.

Has anyone had similar symptoms and how were they resolved?

Cheers,

Perhaps a vibration with a loose exhaust shield type of sheetmetal or cats with loose pieces... can you examine the engine bay or ather areas while it's revving slightly?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sound clip if possible....this could help us determine the noise better than shooting from the hip there bud!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #6
5 months since last one, scheduled to go for next one in Sept. The idle clackity clack does sound normal, its the higher pitch whine on revs that sounds irregular to me...

green_henry

1000 Post Club
5 months since last one, scheduled to go for next one in Sept. The idle clackity clack does sound normal, its the higher pitch whine on revs that sounds irregular to me...
Have you checked your serpentine belt? They can deteriorate over time and/or lose tension

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #8
Have you checked your serpentine belt? They can deteriorate over time and/or lose tension
Haven't checked anything myself, but isn't the lifetime of those things around 100k? I guess if i'm driving aggressively and autocrossing, it may deteriorate earlier? Service apt is tomorrow, I expect they will check this stuff...

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #10
Its direct injection clatter.....what mileage are you changing the oil at?
It's at ~75k km, so if I'm going in next month per schedule, the change will happen at around 76k km. FWIW, I maintain regular 6 month intervals and it never sounded like that immediately before a change.

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #13
Well, as expected, dealer techs say they hear DI noises. Did an autocross this weekend; car pulled fine and nothing exploded, except the temperature creeping up at the end of the run as usual... Got 3 people to listen to it and they all say those are DI noises. Are injectors known to get louder over time?

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #14
Update on the noise... Got an independent mechanic to listen to it and he says it could be that valves are getting out of spec; looks like not an issue for now but might need to get tuned later. Apparently it's a rather lengthy job and each valve bucket is something like $30 a pop and only from a dealer.. At 80k km now, considering doing it at 100-120k along with timing belt just to set myself up for the next 100.

Erick_V

Update on the noise... Got an independent mechanic to listen to it and he says it could be that valves are getting out of spec; looks like not an issue for now but might need to get tuned later. Apparently it's a rather lengthy job and each valve bucket is something like $30 a pop and only from a dealer.. At 80k km now, considering doing it at 100-120k along with timing belt just to set myself up for the next 100.
Interesting. Never heard of valve issues with higher mileage motors. Keep us updated. I’m keeping mine for the long haul so this is in the back of my mind