Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine stud backed out - trying to install AWR PMM

So, didn't even make it to removing all the bolts before running into an issue. One of the engine studs backed out with the nut on it. Several questions:
1) PB blasted the nut to try and remove it from the stud, but short of holding it in the non-threaded portion in the middle, how do i get it off without damaging the threads? fixed.
2) Even with all the nuts off and lower bolts out, the oem motor mount won't budge (bottom of engine is supported on passenger side with jack and piece of wood in between). The studs appear to be resting on the mount but can't really tell.
3) If i'm able to get the aforementioned stud back in, how far do I run it down and what's the torque spec?

See pics for reference.

Attachments

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So, didn't even make it to removing all the bolts before running into an issue. One of the engine studs backed out with the nut on it. Several questions:
1) PB blasted the nut to try and remove it from the stud, but short of holding it in the non-threaded portion in the middle, how do i get it off without damaging the threads?
2) Even with all the nuts off and lower bolts out, the oem motor mount won't budge (bottom of engine is supported on passenger side with jack and piece of wood in between). The studs appear to be resting on the mount but can't really tell.
3) If i'm able to get the aforementioned stud back in, how far do I run it down and what's the torque spec?

See pics for reference.
Looks like the studs are an inverted torx bit* that's a holding point to not damage the threads trying to remove the nut.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
358R
Thread Starter #3
Looks like the studs are an inverted torx bit* that's a holding point to not damage the threads trying to remove the nut.

Ok, got the nut off the stud and kinda have it back in. Still can't get mount to move.

OP
358R
Thread Starter #5
Read it. I think i've done everything by the book so far. Not sure it matters, but my wheels are turned at an angle...perhaps this is binding the suspension and keeping the mount from letting go? Or do i just need to start jacking until it lets go?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Read it. I think i've done everything by the book so far. Not sure it matters, but my wheels are turned at an angle...perhaps this is binding the suspension and keeping the mount from letting go? Or do i just need to start jacking until it lets go?
Could play a factor * have you lowered the engine any? Or tapped on the mount with a dead blow hammer? Or combo*

OP
358R
Thread Starter #7
Could play a factor * have you lowered the engine any? Or tapped on the mount with a dead blow hammer? Or combo*

No, haven't lowered it nor raised it. Wood block is simply touching and then a slight pump to put *some* pressure on it.

I put a ball joint separator against the mount and hit it a few times with a dead blow in a few different directions. It kinda makes it twist a little, but won't let go.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No, haven't lowered it nor raised it. Wood block is simply touching and then a slight pump to put *some* pressure on it.

I put a ball joint separator against the mount and hit it a few times with a dead blow in a few different directions. It kinda makes it twist a little, but won't let go.
View: https://youtu.be/DkYP1geEBzw

Go to 2.30 min in and watch*

OP
358R
Thread Starter #9
View: https://youtu.be/DkYP1geEBzw

Go to 2.30 min in and watch*

Seems the entire engine was indeed leaning against the last stud. I had to jack up a few inches to get it to "pull right out". Straightening the wheels had no effect.

In fact, I had to jack up and let down several times whilst pushing and pulling on the engine. Not sure why it was in such a bind...but here we are and Bob's your uncle. Now the damn bushing bolt is in the way. But, it's in. Jeez. What an operation. Whatever time whoever quoted for this job is a liar and thief.

Attachments