Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ENGINE SWAP PARTY AT MY HOUSE - May 14/15 2016 in Whittier, CA -- PART I - REMOVAL

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Bored tomorrow and within driving distance of whittier, CA? Come on over to my house tomorrow for the official PULL THE ENGINE OUT OF NICK'S FIESTA ST party! tomorrow May 14th.

I've got the tools, you bring yourself, I provide the beer and will be BBQing later on. Wrenches start turning @ 10am

PM for address if you don't already have it. Located in Candlewood Country Club (Valley View/Leffingwell/Telegraph)

Bottom end failed, FoMoCo denied my warranty (thanks a lot FordService. Good job noting "mountune" as "tune".

So I have that 5000 mi ST drivetrain out of the wrecked ST in San Diego, a few bits will need to be transferred from the blowd up motor onto the good one.

Good job noting "mountune" as "tune".
Can you explain this, please? If you are implying what I think you are implying, this is why I created this thread: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/7014 Corporations are corporations. NEVER EVER associate your real name with your mods. Even now that "FordService" seems to be gone, there is always the fact that this board itself may be owned by Ford, or the data found on the board can be sold to Ford by whatever company owns it.

Also, I used Mountune's tune for a while but switched back to Cobb's off the shelf tune for something more conservative. What was your tune situation?

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Im also curious what happened Nick.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I'd love you help !!
Its a bit of a drive for me though....

Mountune = no warranty ? Lmao. I called that not happening a long time ago. Window tint or using 6th gear is known to void a ford fwd turbo car warranty.

Cyborg turbo, TBE, panda TR6 intercooler, drop in green filter.
245whp 293Tq V-dyno
13.3@104mph

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Long and short of it is the bottom end failed. Removal starts 10am

11617 breckenridge dr, whittier ca 90604

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
When listing my mountune parts the dumbass service advisor at ken grody wrote "tune chargepipe" instead of "mountune chargepipe". Eff you Raul rodriguez, you suck. Son of a bitch never listened when I told him stuff.

I had a mountune chargepipe and short shifter on the car and was otherwise mechanically stock on oem tune.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
What the hell. That's a joke. Good luck with the swap. I never trusted the ford service bs people when they tried helping me.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
It went boom after making unhappy noises driving from Ken Grody who did nothing with the car for three months to Ford of Orange who was unable to help afterKen Grody bungled everything

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
The board is not Ford owned trust me lol.
I am a forum sponsor (or at least set it up for the sales guys to take over [MENTION=348]ModBargains[/MENTION] on here).

I honestly only read the first post. If your motor popped that sucks. Did you turn it into a BBQ? All the FiST forums really needed this. Well done. If I was in CA I'd be there.

This rant is meant for every Ford dealer tech that has ever had to deal with this BS. This is for you guys....
This is for having to deal with "time by the book" and "approved time." Not to mention the whole, "it's just a screw and a bolt" crowd.

I feel that everyone with an FiST should see [MENTION=282]BlueBomber[/MENTION] 's post. If you're new to the community, the 1.6L has proven itself as being pretty f**kin solid. [MENTION=282]BlueBomber[/MENTION] paved the way for a lot of FiST owners. Myself included. He's the reason I copped Euro headlights to deal with the sh!t5y output of the stock USDM housings. And if you're laughing... DHM has hit this platform with 425hp..... To each their own.....

After trading my FoST (35k miles) for a FiST..... At 700 miles there was a squealing bearing noise coming from the trans at 2k rpm to 3k rpm. It took 6 months and 8,000 miles for Ford to admit that there was an issue. For half a year of my life I had to listen Loyd Christmas deliver the most annoying sound in the world on my way to work. Only at 65mph and only on throttle tip in.
My dealer informed me that my trans was defective and that the output shaft bearing was shot. No sh$t Ford.
Myself, the service writer. and tech were forced to wait because Ford was only willing to wait for output shaft bearings to become available to fix the issue. 6k miles later the part came in.
And....... the tech knew exactly what I knew from the beginning. Bearing noise, metal in trans, swap trans.... Once they got the output shaft bearing delivered and the tech tore down my trans..... Wow metal in the trans case. We need a new trans..... Myself, the dealer, and the tech had to wait for the inevitable. And a f*&^ing trans was available in 3 days from the depot.

That's the game though. Don't blame or vilify the techs. @BlueBomer don't do that.... Your service writer and the tech that looked over your car...For every 1, there are 10 that will actually torque my lugs in a cross pattern to avoid rotor warping.
Why does stupid sh$t happen? Cause our car friends get paid to deliver under the quota that the factory (Ford) deems necessary for the job.

*Fun fact, when Dodge had to replace hundreds of head gaskets for sealing issues with the Neon in the late 90's, the factory billed 4 hours. Techs learned they could loosen the head studs and boost the head up with a trans stand under the exhaust manifold. No need for timing adjustments, and they could slip a new head gasket under/over the head studs.... 25min job. Got paid for 3 1/2 hours. Service manager just padded the fu&* out of his quota......

If you have a good dealer and techs, don't ever dish out sh^t like this. Honestly good techs are extremely hard to find. I'm tired of them getting sh*t on. Not directed at you [MENTION=282]BlueBomber[/MENTION]
But seriously, 80% of the people on this forum can't explain the difference between a 2-stroke and 4-stroke motor.

Newbies:
1. AP3 and e-tune from Randy or DHM
2. Intercooler - More consistent power.
3. Hybrid turbo, downpipe, exhaust........tuned

There's a reason that Ford stopped reviewing all forum threads. There's also a reason why Ford Racing stopped engaging forum threads.
It's better to review later that engage now..... Especially when it comes to a bunch of ass%^ts.

Dealer techs.... Thank you..

Lets get you in touch with www.speedperf6rmanc3.com They're local to me and are exclusively focusing on building motors for the EcoBoost platform. First to diagnose and solve the 2.0 ring land failures. They would love a 1.6 build. PM me and deliver your short block to my place. I'll drive it up there. No joke.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
They had the car for three months and did not inspect or dismantle any part of the car. And the service advisor never called to follow up.
The car's motor got hurt in DECEMBER. It's may now.

I fought long and hard on the warranty issue and a failure to listen is part of why it got denied. I paid extra to have the 60kmi everything-is-covered warranty.
I was denied primarily because my car looks like it does.

Coming to terms with that has been hard but that said Ken Grody deserves to be thrown under the bus on this one. Ford of Orange tried to help but Ken Grody had already bungled it with Ford. There is a reason Ken Grody has one star on yelp. :(

Anyways if you're coming today please let me know so I can buy food accordingly. :)

dyn085

2000 Post Club
This thread should be linked to everyone that thinks Magnusson-Moss is an automatic savior for modifications and those that think all Mountune parts are warranty-friendly.

This thread should be linked to everyone that thinks Magnusson-Moss is an automatic savior for modifications and those that think all Mountune parts are warranty-friendly.
That's what I was basically trying to get across. At the same time though I don't want people new to modding to get turned off by this. I understand [MENTION=282]BlueBomber[/MENTION] 's frustration. It took me a lot of researching to find a Ford tech that was willing to work with modded cars. Even then it's on his time if I have a problem and I get billed accordingly. The service manager just doesn't want this on his shop time, and rightfully so.
We can claim Magnusson-Moss all we want. Bottom line, manufacturers deny claims all the time. Car warranties are worse than 1980's HMO's. Deny, deny, please go away, deny, deny.......
With that said, COBB, Stratified, Mountune.... they put a lot of time into their calibrations and work. The rate of failure due to one of their products is probably less than 2%. And when those failures occur its well within the standard deviation of factory failures. The only way to get warranty coverage is to not f*&k with your car. Get the dealership to do every oil change, keep all service records, etc.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Yup

What got me was the (redacted) brand rmm failed, yanking on oil cooler lines and sandwich plate causing catastrophic oil leak.

I had no idea how bad it was, as I was driving home I thought something sounded off all of a sudden and felt weird, and I was a few blocks from home, so I figure ok, I'll jack it up when I get to the house, and then the oil light came on and bad noises started.

At which point it was too late.

I am tired of fighting Ford so as I said I bought a complete motor and trans to pop in, may as well have a newer clutch and turbocharger in there, you know?

My friend Kevin's on his way with a 1.5gal keg of homebrew and my friend Phillip from Hot Rod mag is also coming by.

I've done as much as I can solo for now, I need additional manpower to move the car around into the right spot

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club

Proof that Mountune parts are a joke and waste of money. Their only angle was being warranty safe ( which plenty of us know better than that ).

If one dealer screwed up and another tried to make it right, who was denying making it right ? Regional ford... Pretty clear this is how they do business.

Maybe threads like this will help focus rs buyers make a choice too. Ford dealers are not gonna want to touch that car with a 200ft pole.