Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Exhaust sound has changed since install

This going to sounds crazy and I think I'm crazy but I just installed a used Thermal cat back exhaust a couple weeks ago and just a few days ago the sound completely changed. The first 2 weeks were bliss. Plenty loud enough with all the raspy and poppy low rpm goodness with none of the drone. Just as the thermal should be. The Sounds were amazing. Now though, the car seems noticeably quieter and the rasp and downshift pops have all but disappeared. When the hammer is down the exhaust wakes up but something just feels off. It's most noticable when you cruising around the in first 4 gears during the quick pulls and downshifts. I compared it to the video I took the day I installed it and even my wife noticed the sound it most definitely different from before. I'm going to pull the entire exhaust off and check for leaks but was also wondering if anyone here has some theories. Could one of the resonators be coming apart internally?. Sorry for long post just looking for some insight.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This going to sounds crazy and I think I'm crazy but I just installed a used Thermal cat back exhaust a couple weeks ago and just a few days ago the sound completely changed. The first 2 weeks were bliss. Plenty loud enough with all the raspy and poppy low rpm goodness with none of the drone. Just as the thermal should be. The Sounds were amazing. Now though, the car seems noticeably quieter and the rasp and downshift pops have all but disappeared. When the hammer is down the exhaust wakes up but something just feels off. It's most noticable when you cruising around the in first 4 gears during the quick pulls and downshifts. I compared it to the video I took the day I installed it and even my wife noticed the sound it most definitely different from before. I'm going to pull the entire exhaust off and check for leaks but was also wondering if anyone here has some theories. Could one of the resonators be coming apart internally?. Sorry for long post just looking for some insight.

Check all the clamps* i own a Thermal and check them periodically....they do loosen up over time*

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
J_Bolts
Thread Starter #3
Check all the clamps* i own a Thermal and check the periodically....they do loosen up over time*

I'll definitely do that. I think I'm going to break the entire exhaust down clean it and reinstall. It was a rush job so I installed it in two pieces and I didn't check any of the other clamps.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'll definitely do that. I think I'm going to break the entire exhaust down clean it and reinstall. It was a rush job so I installed it in two pieces and I didn't check any of the other clamps.

You got the right idea. It probably just needs a more thorough install. It's easy to miss a beat when you're in a hurry.

The exhaust has broken in and has soot throughout it. On all my vehicles new exhausts were louder for the first few weeks and then tamed up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The exhaust has broken in and has soot throughout it. On all my vehicles new exhausts were louder for the first few weeks and then tamed up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shouldn't it be already "Broke in" due to it being used already? Food for thought*

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What others have said about the clamps and re-install. [wink]

You were lucky to score a silver FiST! [thumb]

Also, Keyport Joyzee, or one of the 75 or so other ones in this nation?

OP
J_Bolts
Thread Starter #8
What others have said about the clamps and re-install. [wink]

You were lucky to score a silver FiST! [thumb]

Also, Keyport Joyzee, or one of the 75 or so other ones in this nation?
I bought the second to last Fist on the lot at Toms Ford in Keyport.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Cool! [thumb]

I remember going through Keyport on Route 36, every weekend in the summer when our family was on the way to Sandy Hook, WAY BACK when I used to live in Union, as a young kid.

I bought the second to last Fist on the lot at Toms Ford in Keyport.

Another fellow NJ FiST owner here. If you haven't already you should join NJST club on Facebook. It's a pretty active group and we usually do something about once a month like a drive or a meet.