Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

EZ Pass Transponder

I just got an EZ Pass toll transponder and according to the instructions you are suppose to put it between the top of the windshield and the rear view mirror. Unless the window has tint, then you are suppose to put it below the tint. The dot matrix stuff count as tint right? I looked in the owners manual for any info on this, no luck, but did find in a VW manual that on the dot matrix is an acceptable location. Anyone has experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
I have tint, so mine is right below the FRIT to the right of the review mirror so I don't see it. It is enamel and does not affect passes. Many posts on the web saying so.

FYI: The frit is a black enamel band that is literally baked into the edges of the windshield glass, accompanied by the border of black dots you are wondering about. The purpose of the frit is to provide an etched surface that allows adhesive to bond to the glass. When a manufacturer installs a new windshield, the glass is bonded to the vehicle with the frit as the contact point between the glass and the frame.
There is a dual purpose here, though. While the inward facing side of the frit allows adhesive to bond to the glass, the outward facing side of the frit acts as a shield against UV radiation in order to protect the adhesive bond, which would otherwise be weakened by continual exposure to direct sunlight.
Cosmetically, the frit also nicely conceals the adhesive used to install the windshield and provides a more “polished” appearance. The dissolving/shrinking effect of the black dots provides a more visually appealing transition from the black border of the frit to the transparent glass, and also provides a small amount of heat dissipation. The dots do provide some level of sun shade as well.
Some manufacturers use this to the occupants’ advantage by expanding the dot pattern downward between sun visors to create a kind of “third visor”, which helps to reduce glare from sunlight that the driver and passenger visors can’t block. Some car makers even take it a step further and use small logos or other unique designs in place of the traditional circular dots.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I looked in the owners manual for any info on this, no luck, but did find in a VW manual that on the dot matrix is an acceptable location. Anyone has experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I keep mine behind the dots and it's mostly invisible from the outside; no issues. I'm not even sure they're using the transponder aspect as much with regards to cashless tolling - I think they're mostly utilising license plate readers. So, just make sure to log into your account and register all of your vehicles.

DEss