Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

F-RC vs FD-R ?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Lubing the creaking Cobb RMM the other day, I discovered that the CV joint boot on the driver's side had split... As much as it bothered me to lay out $100 for some rubber and a couple of Oetiker ear clamps, I bought the Ford CV joint boot kit and it came with two boots, actually, which is a nice bonus as it wasn't really obvious from the description...

But, it included 3 packets of grease: 2 of F-RC and 1 of FD-R. Googling didn't really yield much clarity on these - it would appear that it is all the same stuff, more or less, for the CV joints.
Is F-RC meant to go into the outer boot and FD-R into the inner or is it the other way around - or it really doesn't matter??

Any ideas as to how much to pack in the CV boot and, if it makes a difference, which of the 2 types I got? I have a tube of Red and Sticky too, as it was what I used on the RMM and, while I was there, I smeared some of it inside the boot as well, for good measure.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Lubing the creaking Cobb RMM the other day, I discovered that the CV joint boot on the driver's side had split... As much as it bothered me to lay out $100 for some rubber and a couple of Oetiker ear clamps, I bought the Ford CV joint boot kit and it came with two boots, actually, which is a nice bonus as it wasn't really obvious from the description...

But, it included 3 packets of grease: 2 of F-RC and 1 of FD-R. Googling didn't really yield much clarity on these - it would appear that it is all the same stuff, more or less, for the CV joints.
Is F-RC meant to go into the outer boot and FD-R into the inner or is it the other way around - or it really doesn't matter??

Any ideas as to how much to pack in the CV boot and, if it makes a difference, which of the 2 types I got? I have a tube of Red and Sticky too, as it was what I used on the RMM and, while I was there, I smeared some of it inside the boot as well, for good measure.
You better spin that CV axle grease through your fingers to see if theres any sand in it....if there is chances are the embedability of the bearing is compromised and you should just buy a new CV axle...and not one from a parts store as they all use neoprene rubber boots that dont last for shit.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
You better spin that CV axle grease through your fingers to see if theres any sand in it....if there is chances are the embedability of the bearing is compromised and you should just buy a new CV axle...and not one from a parts store as they all use neoprene rubber boots that dont last for shit.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
You mean to see if there is sand in the grease that is currently in the joint? I was going to look at it closely, when I pry the split one off... Do tell on the boots though - I got mine from Tasca, and it's FORD OEM kit.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Happened again! The same boot - the new one now - split again. Argh! Now I’m replacing the whole half shaft - it’s a marginal increase of the cost vs just the boot kit. WTF with a rapid failure, I’m wondering.