Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

failed smog visual inspection - need to reinstall symposer

Went to get my car smogged today and had no issues with the sniffer. However, the referee had an issue with the symposer delete. Does anyone know what the oem part number for the diaphragm as well as the connector hose is?

Attachments

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Resonator
C1BZ-9P437-A
1.6L turbo.

The hose comes with the Symposer/Resonator

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Inspector likely a democrat.....
Hey now, I'm a democrat. That doesn't mean I don't think it's stupid... Running without a cat to me is stupid, deleting a system that doesn't actually do anything other than put sound into the cabin and recircs back into the intake to be used and go through the cat and failing smog? Yeah that's stupid. Op, let me guess cali? Their smog laws have made a physical impact on the environment and it has shown that stricter laws on emissions can be very beneficial to everyone in a large city. Theres pictures on google of what it used to look like in the 70s it was bad. But what the op did had nothing to do with emissions and sounds like incompetence on the refs part to me.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

OP
ray_bandz0
Thread Starter #6
Thank you D1JL.

Yea it's in California, the guy didn't even know what it was at first. I showed him an article explaining how the symposer is only used to pump sound into the cabin. He read something about the symposer delete needing to be a tight seal to not lose boost pressure and he used that in his argument and didn't back down.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thank you D1JL.

Yea it's in California, the guy didn't even know what it was at first. I showed him an article explaining how the symposer is only used to pump sound into the cabin. He read something about the symposer delete needing to be a tight seal to not lose boost pressure and he used that in his argument and didn't back down.
Well at least it's a once every 3 years thing for you guys right? Just put it back on for the inspection, take it off after, keep it in the garage til the next one I guess haha.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Regardless, the law in California is that you cannot modify anything between the mass airflow sensor and the cat.
Unless there is an EO to allow it.
So as stated above, just put it back on before a smog check.

pixelzombie

Regardless, the law in California is that you cannot modify anything between the mass airflow sensor and the cat.
Still idiotic when you think about it. Wasn't it California that wanted Starbucks to put cancer warning labels based on a single study regarding coffee?

My understanding and personal anecdotal experience is that you cannot modify any engine component unless the replacement part includes an EO number specific for your vehicle. This includes components forward of the mass airflow sensor such as air filter, air box etc. [1]

I also understood anything past the cat was fair game, but apparently there are circumstances where this is not true, such as a leak in the exhaust pipe that allows additional oxygen into the exhaust before the tail pipe. However it appears mufflers are specifically exempted, which makes sense because it's a noise control device, not emission control. [2]

[1] https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/replacement-parts-guidelines-aftermarket-performance-and-add-parts
"Any replacement air cleaner elements may be used as long as they meet original factory specifications. Any air cleaner that does not meet the original factory specifications requires an Executive Order to be legal for street use."

[2] https://www.smogtips.com/aftermarket-performance-parts.cfm

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
So an ST 200 intake would be OK, according to that law?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just pack up all your stuff and move to the land of 10,000 lakes of Rioting and looting. Mn was smart and got away from the Emissions testing in the mid 90s as most cars these days run very clean compared to 30 years ago. I drive past some of the old test buildings sometimes and they look like the belong on Mysteries of the Abandoned on Science channel! (Great show BTW)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So an ST 200 intake would be OK, according to that law?
It could pass visual as most guys would look at it and think stock.

As far as stupidbuttā€™s comment goes...The mandate issued by Gov Newsom was not forcing people to get rid of gas powered cars. It was a proposal to require all new cars sold in California by 2035 to be Electric. It said nothing about used cars.
Also there is a high likelihood it will not come to be . It was political grandstanding by our idiot gov who advised against large gatherings due to Covid and then actually attended one himself. Ya he had to publicly apologize and his word donā€™t mean shit. Maybe you should change your SN :ROFLMAO:

P.S. if you donā€™t live in California and think your state is great or better why do you feel th need to criticize us? Jealous much, Insecure,.
If you really are happy then you should keep your mouth shut instead of trying to shit on us.

Last edited:

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
My understanding and personal anecdotal experience is that you cannot modify any engine component unless the replacement part includes an EO number specific for your vehicle. This includes components forward of the mass airflow sensor such as air filter, air box etc.
Here they are talking about the air cleaner/air box assy. not the air filter.
On the FiST, the MAF is in the top of the air box so anything before it is fair game.
Therefore you can change the bottom of the air box or air filter without any violation.
This is why the Mountune or ST200 lower air box is legal.

I sure hope you don't have to spend good money on a symposer. Living in CA there is likely a number of members here who did not throw out their symposer when they took it out. Hopefully you can borrow one and your rubber hose is still on your car with a simple plug in it. As far as the hose to the firewall goes, it is often also left in place, pushed back and sometimes plugged.

OP
ray_bandz0
Thread Starter #19
TemecFist - I'm a few hours away from Temecula, if I was any closer I'd take you up on it lol.

apex1 - Luckily the rubber hose is still attached and was routed behind the battery. I'm trying to buy a used one off a forum member but if anyone near the ventura county area or near the SFV can spare one for a quick test I'd appreciate it!