Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

False knock....where to look?

wetwea33

I'll add that to the list. The boroscope showed up yesterday so sometime this week I am going to inspect the cylinder bores of each cylinder to compare as well as the piston tops to look for evidence of knock. Mitch is thinking it's false knock as well.
What about the knock sensors themselves? I wonder if they are interchangeable... You could swap them around to see if it changes anything.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
What about the knock sensors themselves? I wonder if they are interchangeable... You could swap them around to see if it changes anything.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Seems unlikely they would fail from my conversations with some knowledgeable people. They would also be a complete nightmare to get to.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #43
Was any of this occurring before you switched tuners?

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #44
UPDATED TROUBLESHOOTING LIST

Starting to think this is real knock..

Here is what I have investigated so far without success in trying to find the reason for cylinder 1 knocking on E85 but the others not knocking at all:
  1. New posi-tap connection for aux fuel cylinder 1, fixed the remaining lose connections
  2. Swapped coil pack from cylinder 1 and 2
  3. Removed plug on ST200 intake box for the bottom hose (thought maybe I was starving the engine of air)
  4. Swapped spark plugs 1 and 3, no change
  5. Upgrade passenger side engine mount to vibra-technics, decreased torque steer but no change to knock count
  6. Secure OEM exhaust manifold heat shield with lower bolt, no movement, no change to knock
  7. Nothing is making contact near the engine/knock sensors
  8. Removed skid plate, no change
To be completed next week (engine mount is en route and injector just ordered)
  1. Replace cylinder 1 direct injector with new injector
  2. Use boroscope in cylinder 1 to look for piston damage or evidence of knock
  3. New Brisk Racing spark plug in cylinder 1 (Replace Brand New NGK 6510)
  4. Compression test
  5. Replace CP-E lower engine mount with another upgraded unit (although no movement detected from CP-E unit)

Reallyyyy hoping it is just a clogged injector since I have pretty much ruled out everything else.
So....Reviving this thread. What have you Found JDG? If anything at all!

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #45
Seems unlikely they would fail from my conversations with some knowledgeable people. They would also be a complete nightmare to get to.
What did you end up figuring out?