Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Federal 595 RSR 205/45/16 $369.43 Shipped from Online Tires

Just passing along the word, these tires are extreme performance tires in the same category as the RE71 or the Direzza SS2, etc, but for about half the price. My buddy uses them on his fist and it grips just as good if not a little better then my RE71Rs. My potenzas are still going strong but I can really notice the increased sliding and less overall grip as compared to when they were new. I decided to give these a try seeing as again, they are literally half the price of buying new RE71Rs.

https://www.onlinetires.com/search/...es/all_sizes/all_tires/all_speeds/page_1.html

SKU Description QTY Price Total Shipping
950K6AFE 595 RS-R RACING - 205/45-16 FEDERAL 595 RS-R RACING 83W BSW - FEDERAL 595 RS-R RACING 4 $74.90 $299.60 $69.83

J2FoRS

Good find.

This sentence though? "Even DOT approved or E-Mark approved Federal competition tyres are designed and compounded for competition use only and are not intended for highway or road use."

So thsee are track only I assume?

MPA

I have the 595RSRs in that size and like them a lot so far. the only time I've been able to push them a little is through my favorite cloverleaf exit ramp, but I'm looking forward to some back road drives once I have some free time.

I saw a few bad reviews for onlinetires.com, so I ended up buying them through Ebay for $400 shipped - I figured if there was any issue. I could go through ebay and paypal to make sure they're resolved, but I had no isses.

How is the road noise, tire wear, autoX/trackability, and wet performance of these RSR's?

+1 on the road noise question.

My Rival S are annoying over 40mph, I need some new 16's.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Wimp,
What is your toe set at? Very much toe in or out will cause a lot more noise.

My 225/45/15 Rival S tires are far quieter than the 201/45/17 Mich PS3 AS had on the car and I hardly notice them above 50 MPH.

Maybe the taller sidewall which transmits far less vibration into the chassis is the main reason.

------------

I have probably said this already, I really wish I could try the Federal, just do not make my size:(

MPA

I mostly drive with rindows up, and have an exhaust, so I don't notice any road noice.

But I will take a quick ride as I head out to lunch with the windows down.

I got an alignment done when I got the tires put on, toe is at the factory spec.

There is no need for me to roll down the windows, it is loud with them rolled up, hard to have a conversation loud. I think it is causing cabin resonation like a droning exhaust too.

When I turn the noise reduces in volume.

It seems to coast pretty freely too, if there is too much toe, it is not enough to scrub off speed.

MPA

on a concrete road at 40mph, I could hear some tire noise, but it was hard to hear over the wind noise. On asphalt at 50, I heard nothing over the wind noise.

OP
mercdank
Thread Starter #14
Good find.

This sentence though? "Even DOT approved or E-Mark approved Federal competition tyres are designed and compounded for competition use only and are not intended for highway or road use."

So thsee are track only I assume?
They aren't track only, but they are definitely dry weather tires. If you notice they have no center drainage tread so when it does rain, you will need to drive with extra attention and slow down, and avoid standing water like the plague. I always slow down a lot when it rains due to bad experiences in the past, so this is taken into consideration and I still am comfortable with the purchase.

I run the 595 Evo's from Federal and taken them on the track and was thoroughly impressed with the grip. I will probably need another set after my next track day, where I plan on purchasing these RSR's. I'm glad to see some good reviews on the tires, and actual real world experiences.

Young L

I run the 595 Evo's from Federal and taken them on the track and was thoroughly impressed with the grip. I will probably need another set after my next track day, where I plan on purchasing these RSR's. I'm glad to see some good reviews on the tires, and actual real world experiences.
Do you daily the evo's? im lookin at the tread pattern and its got a center section but not very good outter channels to let the water out.

MPA

Just drove with them in a decent rain shower. They definitely spin under acceleration a little easier than I thought they would when accelerating to merge, but a little less throttle and it seemed fine.

I didn't hit any standing water except on side streets, but I don't think the 30mph was enough to hydroplane.

I DD my car, and I don't go crazy in the rain anyway, so I'll see how they do next time it rains.

I've been running the 215/40-17 RSR for about 1.5 years now, no complaints about road noise. It's slightly louder than the stock tires (which to me are pretty much silent) but especially with an exhaust I can't hear these tires at all. My buddy has a very different experience on his E92 with the RSR and the noise is more noticeable.
The RSR was great on track and didn't overheat on me like the stock tires did. For the price as a Summer tire I'd definitely buy it again, especially because in comes in FIST friendly sizing (17")

In the Fall of 2015 I dropped my car off at the dealership to address a transmission issue, unfortunately due to back order of parts this ended up taking > 2.5 months and I picked up my car about a week before Christmas (with the RSR's still on)
DO NOT leave these tires on in Winter conditions (unless you live in a pretty warm area of course), I'm in Vancouver and it only drops to about 0 degrees Celsius (32F) but they were still enough to crack these tires
All 4 tires now look like this and I'm not comfortable tracking on them any more

Trying the RE-71R which should be here next week. Online Tires is backordered on these (same situation in 2014 actually) and last time it took > 2 months but I didn't mind the wait since I didn't have my wheels yet

MPA

Oh wow. I have winter wheels and tires, so they'll be in the basement when it gets cold. I saw some markings on the sidewall for sections - Is that crack where the sections meet?.

Interesting that you'd still buy them again even if you cracked a tire. And I'll be interested in how they compare to the RE-71s.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
All summer only tires can have issues in freezing temps so you must protect them from it, sorry it happened to you at the dealer and it took so painfully long to fix your car.