Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fidanza Flywheel

LucasHigh

Premium Account
Just bought a Fidanza lightweight flywheel and have a buddy telling me I have to get retuned for a lightweight flywheel. I'm not the most technical and was wondering if anyone has some insight on this

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just bought a Fidanza lightweight flywheel and have a buddy telling me I have to get retuned for a lightweight flywheel. I'm not the most technical and was wondering if anyone has some insight on this
You will lose reverse* Read up my friend! All those who lose reverse have lightweight flywheels...FYI*

Sam4

While I still have reverse, and a 5000 mile tranny, LISTEN to TyphoonFist! Try to afford to do the dual-mass (maybe non-Fidanza) set up. I cannot catch leaving in 1st the same way twice, hill-hold helps, but its a disaster over all.

OP
LucasHigh

LucasHigh

Premium Account
Thread Starter #8
interesting... I wonder why that is... I do have an rts that ill probably get resurfaced then

Dialcaliper

You will lose reverse* Read up my friend! All those who lose reverse have lightweight flywheels...FYI*
Has anyone figured out the cause/failure mode?

A quick search is suggesting that the failure is occurring with all lighter-than-stock flywheels (both dual mass and single mass), but is not a common failure with OEM (or stock weight single mass flywheels?) Maybe also in the case of single mass + unsprung clutch?

Resulting chatter is killing reverse (or occasionally other gears). Failure is either shift fork or synchros. Does that sound correct?

Some VW's needs to be recalibrated for SMF due to increased vibration in the engine causing false knock and eventually throwing a code. Talked to my cousin, he's a mechanic, and it needed to be adjusted with VW specific tester. He was doing an OE DMF to SMF on a Polo when I asked.

As @Dialcaliper mentioned, the issue might come right down to vibration/chatter. Going unsprung SMF and unsprung clutch is likely a recipe for disaster in these gearboxes. I know SPEC and RTS have sprung clutches for the IB6. Might leviate some issues with chatter/vibration and lightweight SMF.

Dialcaliper

Some VW's needs to be recalibrated for SMF due to increased vibration in the engine causing false knock and eventually throwing a code. Talked to my cousin, he's a mechanic, and it needed to be adjusted with VW specific tester. He was doing an OE DMF to SMF on a Polo when I asked.

As @Dialcaliper mentioned, the issue might come right down to vibration/chatter. Going unsprung SMF and unsprung clutch is likely a recipe for disaster in these gearboxes. I know SPEC and RTS have sprung clutches for the IB6. Might leviate some issues with chatter/vibration and lightweight SMF.
It sounds like these problems are occurring even with the proper spring clutch in place on the SMF

SMF plus an unsprung clutch would fairly quickly wreck most modern transmissions, that’s not even a mystery

General rule is that you can have a SMF or an unsprung clutch and the trans be fine. It's when using both that people are allegedly breaking transmissions.

Dialcaliper

General rule is that you can have a SMF or an unsprung clutch and the trans be fine. It's when using both that people are allegedly breaking transmissions.
It’s worth noting that trying to put a sprung clutch disc on a dual mass flywheel (if it even fits) is *also* bad. Maybe not as bad for the transmission as no springs at all, but with both in series you can set up all kinds of crazy resonances..

Basically you need one spring in the driveline - either the one inside the dual mass, or a spring clutch. At least one, not both 🤷

Ironically it’s more actually more important on small boosted engines with smaller class gearboxes. With less mass in the rotating assembly (crank/pistons/rods) and higher power levels, there’s just not enough inertia in the engine itself to damp out the combustion pulses and crank vibrations from transferring into the driveline - hence the rather hefty OEM dual mass flywheel - it’s not there just to make the car smoother or even just to make engaging the clutch easier. Without the clutch spring, the only compliance left in the systems between the engine and the relatively rigid ground is transmission, driveshaft, tires.

Last edited:

Fusion Works

I am 15K miles into a light weight flywheel, broke a stock clutch and swapped to a SPEC clutch with sprung hub. Both times I looked in the trans and there is nothing wrong with my reverse gear setup. Not sure how people are breaking a syncronized reverse setup.

OP
LucasHigh

LucasHigh

Premium Account
Thread Starter #16
I am 15K miles into a light weight flywheel, broke a stock clutch and swapped to a SPEC clutch with sprung hub. Both times I looked in the trans and there is nothing wrong with my reverse gear setup. Not sure how people are breaking a syncronized reverse setup.
Is this with a factory trans or a upgraded clark unit? I wonder if carbotech synchros would solve this "problem"

Fusion Works

Plain old factory trans. What problem would a different manufacture of carbon syncros solve? You probably shouldn't jam the trans in reverse while driving, maybe people wouldn't break reverse.

Yes the stock transmission comes with carbon lined syncros from Ford.