Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta flat towing

I am interested in flat towing a 2017 Ford Fiesta ST (manual transmission) with all 4 wheels on the ground. The Ford manual states all manual transmission Ford Fiesta St's can be flat towed. But Get Jerry.com and other online forums state it can not be flat towed. What Ford Fiesta models can be flat towed going up to 70 MPH? What automatic transmission Ford Fiesta models can be flat towed going up to 70 MPH? Are there any Ford Fiesta models that can not be flat towed?

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
Steve, thank you for the reply. This is the problem that I have. A member on this forum says he is flat towing his Fiesta ST, but you show a towing guide that says it should not. Who do I believe??

I would believe Ford Motor Company, they designed the car and tested the car.

As for the Wrecker Towing guide, have you ever seen what happens when a car is towed with the rear being carried and the front tires on the ground. If the steering wheel isn't tied down good and solid that car is going to swing into oncoming traffic at the first hard turn. Ford recommends a dolly as a means of securing the front wheels. Of course a wrecker can choose to lift the front end and tow it that way but it will do a lot of damage to the bumper cover.

Last edited:
OP
S
Thread Starter #6
I don't know if Ford says it is OK. That is another problem. I called Ford and they can not give me an answer. I typed something up wrong earlier in my first thread. Please also see the link below. This link says that all Ford Fiesta with a manual transmission can be flat towed. I assume that is the ST as well but I just want to make sure before I buy this car. Thank you. Your input is appreciated.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...A&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&buildtype=web

SteveS

1000 Post Club
don't have access to the owners manual; my wife drives the FiST to work. But if the owners manual says you can flat tow the car (the manual is written for all Fiestas) and there is no paragraph about ST's and there is nothing in the ST supplemental booklet, that would appear to mean you can flat tow it. Why the tow truck guide says you have to flatbed it is not explained.

I don't know if Ford says it is OK. That is another problem. I called Ford and they can not give me an answer. I typed something up wrong earlier in my first thread. Please also see the link below. This link says that all Ford Fiesta with a manual transmission can be flat towed. I assume that is the ST as well but I just want to make sure before I buy this car. Thank you. Your input is appreciated.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...A&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&buildtype=web
I imagine who ever you spoke with over the phone simply doesn't want to be liable for giving you wrong information. I'm pretty sure you're one of a very small handful of people to ever ask this question.
Also does the car have to be flat towed? A small single axle trailer would be like 1-1.5k more pounds to tow.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
This is from the Ford Fiesta Owner's Manuel.

Recreational Towing Note: Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to prevent exhaust fumes from entering the vehicle. Follow these guidelines if you have a need for recreational (RV) towing. An example of recreational towing would be towing your vehicle behind a motorhome. These guidelines are designed to ensure that your transmission is not damaged. Vehicles with a Manual Transmission Your vehicle can be towed with all four wheels on the ground or with the front wheels off the ground by using a tow dolly. If you are using a tow dolly, follow the instructions specified by the equipment provider. If you tow your vehicle with all wheels on the ground, follow these instructions: 1. Tow only with your vehicle in the forward direction. Release the parking brake. 2. Place the transmission in neutral. Note: Do not exceed 70 mph (113 km/h) when towing your vehicle.

Just a note from someone that once towed for AAA.
You should never flat tow a vehicle with an automatic transmission unless it is equipped with a transmission disconnect.
Also, the steering column must remain un-locked.

I would have to say that since the Fiesta ST has neither an automatic transmission nor a steering column lock, it is safe to flat tow.

Last edited:
OP
S
Thread Starter #10
Thank you everyone- I appreciate your help immensely. I wish I could get straightforward answers on flat towing from Ford. I just spoke to my Ford dealer and he sent me a tow guide that specifically says all Ford Fiesta's (except ST) can be flat towed. He can not explain to me why though. This is the nightmare for me. Why can all Ford Fiesta's (even automatic transmission) be flat towed except the ST??? I did see one link on this forum that states he flat towed his Fiesta ST without difficulty. Does anyone else have this experience?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I can find multiple people who have flat towed their ford fiesta st no problems. In my opinion you got two choices you can trust that those individuals told the truth which they did, or you can just buy a dolly. Have you tried direct messaging the individuals who have posted on this site that they have flat towed their fiesta st?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Also give the Focus ST community a look. It is a larger community see if you can find information from them, because ford seems to say the same thing about the Focus ST as they do the Fiesta about flat towing.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Ford dealer and he sent me a tow guide that specifically says all Ford Fiesta's (except ST) can be flat towed.
Can you post this?"

I have the 2015-2016 WRECKER TOWING MANUAL and I cannot find such information.

Also, why would the Fiesta Owner's Manuel say that you CAN flat tow.
Why not ask your dealer about that?

OP
S
Thread Starter #16
See post above. I agree the manual says manual transmission Ford Fiesta can flat tow. But my Ford dealer who I have known for 15 years says no. Thank you everyone so far. As you can see there is not one consistent answer.

Fiesta Towed.jpg
I have been flat towing my Fiesta ST for about two years with no issues. I think it is a great vehicle to flat tow. it is light behind the RV and fun to drive at my destinations. The nice thing about flat towing is you dont need a dolly or trailer or anything. Just unhook the towbar when you get to your destination and you are good to go.

Stetson

View attachment 53889
I have been flat towing my Fiesta ST for about two years with no issues. I think it is a great vehicle to flat tow. it is light behind the RV and fun to drive at my destinations. The nice thing about flat towing is you dont need a dolly or trailer or anything. Just unhook the towbar when you get to your destination and you are good to go.

Stetson
Can you even see the fiesta in your mirrors? LOL