Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta st coil pack upgrades

The search for upgraded fiesta at coil packs began when my car quit lighting off e75 while i was trying to wrap the tune up on the dyno for Focus Rising dyno day πŸ˜… this so far is the outcome much larger coil with data and dwell times readily available and some modifications to things. It was either this of LS smart coils and this solution seems to be the simplest for a pnp option. Im hoping to see a few things from this experiment. The ability to light off e85 at the boost pressure needed to make power without having to bend the hell out of the straps. And maybe alittle fuel economy bonus? Testing starts tomarrow! Once i know this works the whole setup is off to will @worfab to hopefully get prettied up with some sweet mounting plates then i may start selling these as pnp kits. There more then likely is zero gain for 99% of the community but this will be for that 1% wanting to go the extra mile πŸ˜… ill keep this updated as i begin testing πŸ€™
1E01C7C5-D8F5-47EC-9237-8E2C7414AFC1.jpeg

OP
Thread Starter #3
Heres a different picture with all the temporary mounting plates. These will get alot prettier if this whole fiasco works out πŸ˜… D34E1C3B-F61F-400F-AE8C-1E20F077C91B.jpeg

OP
Thread Starter #9
This is with every thing mounted up on a mock up engine. I have to go pull the car off the trailer and get everything swapped to see if its actually going to work. There are a few minor details i have to figure out still but nothing major.
C4E8C935-1A7A-4650-8A37-4CB8FEF0EDFE.jpeg

OP
Thread Starter #11
So quick little update and some backstory as well.
The first fire was on the oem ignition coil table data. The car ran and idled perfectly. But since these coils where robbed from another car I decided to do the logical thing and rob the dwell times and table data from that car. Took the car for a test drive and it felt absolutely amazing! No weird issues, no misfires ext. Then i decided to do a pull and wow! The car’s attitude completely changed and it pulled harder then i have ever remembered it pulling at 30psi between all the different turbo setups ive had. So i decided to drive it to work roughly 25 miles one way and made it here without issue. This seems super promising and im stoked its working as well as it is so far!

On to the backstory:
So ive been in the community for a long time since early 2015 and ive had several setups on my car. Currently I have a Wor fabrications xona rotor turbo kit, strat 4 port aux (fuel lines replumbed to eliminate the T fitting), aem 3.5bar map and 4 bar tip sensor, bravo alpha aem 340 intank and ba intercooler then all the other possible bolt ons and mods you can do. So like 6 months ago i had the car strapped down to the dyno and i noticed some issues. I ran the car completely out of fuel on e50 @ 32psi so lowside fuel pressure was dipping down to 55psi wot and the car would go extremely lean and it could not be tuned out. Reason being fuel pressure was 55psi and boost was 32psi we only had a 23psi delta pressure across the injectors and confirmed later on with egt sensors that cyl 1&2 the last to be feed fuel where running hotter then 3&4. Also i noticed the car wouldnt make boost correctly on the dyno so i checked the intercooler for a pressure drop and sure enuff i had massive pressure drop across the old cpe intercooler i was using at the time. So the fix replaced intercooler with bravo alphas and also replaced the fuel pump with patricks aem340 and i redid the fuel lines to feed the aux fuel rail first then lastly the hpfp witch doesnt care as much about the lowside fuel pressure so if it starves im starving the hpfp and its more easily controllable. So i went threw all of this i did find rerouting the fuel lines with the stock lpfp was worth a few hp on e50 15-20ish then when I swapped to the aem 340 fuel pressure holds perfectly on e85 at target of 95psi i was done done mixing fuel never agian will i mix haha. So back on the dyno to setup straps for focus risings dyno day and also play with the fiesta. So started turning the car up got to a point it was acting like spark blow out with the brisk plugs gapped at 0.024 so swap them out for ngks gapped at 0.020 and bam do a pull car picks up 40whp. Sweet so i look at the log and its a bit fat when the aux kicks on so i pull a touch out and do another pull.. car lost 20whp dustin (dyno owner) says idk what you did but it didnt like it. I said only thing i did was pull some fuel out lets do one more to be sure. So one more and it lost another 20 and started breaking up agian 40whp loss total. So im thinking okay those coils have to be getting hot but im trying to wrap this thing up today for the following days dyno day. Talk with dustin decided to feed it some more dwell time and see what happens and the car completely hated its life. Okay so coil packs are SOL. Talked with dustin had this coil pack idea in my head for a minute now. Dustin also sells smart coils for ls’s so the idea was if this idea didnt work smart coils and some rewiring it is lol the whole idea here though is to get the e85 lighting off witch is proven now it does! The next step is to open the gap up at 30psi untill i run into spark blow out to see how far i can open them up then from there ill tighten it back up and start shoving boost to it untill the inevitable happens and something gets sent to mars. Then ill swap in my built engine and i know i need a larger throttle body at the mass airflow the car is pushing so thats also one of the next steps. So i keep running into all of these walls witch most dont even realize are there all in the hopes to make as much power as possible with this tiny displacement engine πŸ˜…

The ls smart coils are definitely the truth. My friends used to joke that they'd light water. You'll probably avoid blowout until you are up around 600ish with the "big gap." That's just me guessing though. Sounds very similar to the ignition journey we had with the 4g63's. You got any vids of the animal?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am a bit perplexed as to why the much smaller CP-E intercooler displayed pressure drop, but the much larger BA did not. [???:)][???:)]

Is it the inlet/end tank design which is not as conducive to high boost/BT apps, and loses boost, or something else (core, etc.)??

OP
Thread Starter #14
OP
Thread Starter #15
I am a bit perplexed as to why the much smaller CP-E intercooler displayed pressure drop, but the much larger BA did not. [???:)][???:)]

Is it the inlet/end tank design which is not as conducive to high boost/BT apps, and loses boost, or something else (core, etc.)??
The pressure drop was due to the intercooler core itself being a restriction. So the end tanks arnt a issue at all but the core itself. It was actually bad enuff to the point when i swapped to the ba intercooler (i was never a fan of this intercooler untill It made me a believer on my own car lol) the car picked up about 9 pounds of boost. So i had the wastegate springs dialed at 21psi with the cpe intercooler when I swapped to the ba it was making 29psi on gate pressure and i had to swap Springs around to get my gate pressure back down to 20-21

Peterson

Premium Account
The pressure drop was due to the intercooler core itself being a restriction. So the end tanks arnt a issue at all but the core itself. It was actually bad enuff to the point when i swapped to the ba intercooler (i was never a fan of this intercooler untill It made me a believer on my own car lol) the car picked up about 9 pounds of boost. So i had the wastegate springs dialed at 21psi with the cpe intercooler when I swapped to the ba it was making 29psi on gate pressure and i had to swap Springs around to get my gate pressure back down to 20-21
Dang. I just put a CPe IN my car. πŸ₯²

maybe it won’t be so bad because I’m on stock turbo

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Awesome..., now my OCD won't let me stop thinking about the pressure drop over my Whoosh V3. Thanks! ;)

Where did you tap for the pressure transducers? I'm thinking that the end caps would be perfect and, while I'm there, maybe another tap for temp. How are you datalogging? Something simple like a Raspberry Pi with a hat or are you using a commercial datalogger?

OP
Thread Starter #18
Dang. I just put a CPe IN my car. πŸ₯²

maybe it won’t be so bad because I’m on stock turbo
Theres nothing wrong with the cpe intercooler. Its a great intercooler for most people. I actually made 378whp with my old gtx2860 setup and the cpe intercooler πŸ˜… a better cooler would have probably done better but it worked at the time

OP
Thread Starter #20
Awesome..., now my OCD won't let me stop thinking about the pressure drop over my Whoosh V3. Thanks! ;)

Where did you tap for the pressure transducers? I'm thinking that the end caps would be perfect and, while I'm there, maybe another tap for temp. How are you datalogging? Something simple like a Raspberry Pi with a hat or are you using a commercial datalogger?
So i have a npt bung welded on the hotside chargepipe now and i was using plx for my egts and would log the output with hptuners and the profeatures set but that was a major pita. So anyway now i use a datamonster in my 3.5eb f150 i also tune with hptuners but since the ngauge is no longer available and i didnt buy one before hand i ended up buying a datamonster so i can log and view without having to have my laptop anyway now i pull the datamonster out of the truck when i need to log egt, pre intercooler map or emap then just daisy chain everything into the datamonster and log everything that way. Banks is missing a few pids compared to cobb or hpt but it’s nothing relevant to the data im looking at. Its a whole cluster but the simplest solution ive found so far untill i can get a standalone ecu in the car. But standalones are expensive πŸ˜…