Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

fiesta st line turbo

flxvko

hey i have a 2019 fiesta st line 5 spd, and i was planning on putting on a turbo on it and i was wondering what i would need besides a tune, a turbo and an inter cooler? much help would be appreciated

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The engine in your Fiesta ST-line is fundamentally different from the 1.6L ecoboost engine that comes in the fiesta ST. It would not be worth it to turbo it. You are better off selling and getting a Fiesta ST. This "tune" you speak of for your engine would likely require a standalone ECU as to my understanding, there are no off-the-shelf ways to tune the Fiesta SE/ST-Line ECU.

To give you a rough number, you are likely looking at $7.5K to properly turbo your car.

The fact that you are asking a question like this tells me you would not be up to this challenge hence my recommendation to just start with a car designed to be turbocharged.

Edit: This article is a good starting point on how to properly turbo an NA car. I found it within 5 seconds of google searching: https://www.torquecars.com/tuning/adding-turbo.php

I had a na Fiesta also, and looked into doing what you are asking. The biggest roadblock you will have is state emissions. If you add a turbo and aftermarket ECU chances are you can not register it for the street. If you are fortunate enough not to have inspections then it will bite you if you try to resale the vehicle. I ended up trading it for an ST. Never regretted that decision.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
The engine in your Fiesta ST-line is fundamentally different from the 1.6L ecoboost engine that comes in the fiesta ST. It would not be worth it to turbo it. You are better off selling and getting a Fiesta ST. This "tune" you speak of for your engine would likely require a standalone ECU as to my understanding, there are no off-the-shelf ways to tune the Fiesta SE/ST-Line ECU.

To give you a rough number, you are likely looking at $7.5K to properly turbo your car.

The fact that you are asking a question like this tells me you would not be up to this challenge hence my recommendation to just start with a car designed to be turbocharged.

Edit: This article is a good starting point on how to properly turbo an NA car. I found it within 5 seconds of google searching: https://www.torquecars.com/tuning/adding-turbo.php

WHAT HE SAID..........of all the projects to do...ugh... sell it and get an ST.

OR.....drop an LS in there...lol. Sloppy Mechanics have not done one yet, but somebody has to be first. They DID put one in a Winnie....

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Hey, that one nutter over in Jolly ol' England dropped a blown Coyote into a fully flared-out FiST, complete with an IRS, and open tracks/time trials the little terror, so why not?!?!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
OP... Curious: What do you like about the ST Line that the ST doesn't have?
It was cheap due to them being out of production and car sales are slumping and ferd wants the good ol Govt. to do another cash fer da clunkers! [raceflag]

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
The red kicks ass on fiesta. I was waiting to buy one in that color. Still pissed they didnā€™t offer

This would be cool for people who don't drive manual, great way to add some oomph if you can pull it off, because it's a gutless little bastard. I swapped grilles with an ST-Line and we both had to remove our bumpers; one thing's for sure there's plenty of room to install the intercooler.

HBEcoBeaST

This would be cool for people who don't drive manual, great way to add some oomph if you can pull it off, because it's a gutless little bastard. I swapped grilles with an ST-Line and we both had to remove our bumpers; one thing's for sure there's plenty of room to install the intercooler.
Don't they have the same auto
transmission that Ford is getting sued for? I'm sure it'd do just fine handling the extra power [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
hey i have a 2019 fiesta st line 5 spd, and i was planning on putting on a turbo on it and i was wondering what i would need besides a tune, a turbo and an inter cooler? much help would be appreciated
I'll echo what's been said.

The 1.6 NA engine is not built to handle the extra stress of a turbo. Neither are the auto, nor the 5-speed transmissions.

The ST comes with an engine and drive train that are built to handle a turbo from the factory, and are put in much bigger vehicles than the humble FiST.

Don't spend a fortune just to destroy your car with a turbo it's not built to handle. Sell it, and find a clean ST.

People occasionally sell very nice ones right here on this forum.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The SE's 3 cylinder, 1.0 liter turbo uses that 5 speed, but yes, it has significantly less power output from the factory than our boosted, 1.6 liter 4 banger. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I wonder if anyone has tried to up the power on the three banger???
Some have, but there is not a big aftermarket for those cars, sadly. [:(]

The WRC R2 class Fiestas use a 200+ to the wheels HP version of that engine, but it is fed through a Sadev 5 speed sequential gear box (with a built-in limited slip diff) in those cars, which is FULLY up to the task of handling that (and MORE) power. [wink]

Last edited:

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I followed a thread where a guy swapped a 2.0EB into a Focus sedan just because and it turned out great.

Modding a stock turbo car brings enough risk as it is, there are WAY more components you need to worry about adding forced induction to an N/A car.

I've been tempted to get a used Fiesta SE sedan and a good tranny/engine from and ST and build an ultimate sleeper. Heck, if I hit the lottery I would see if Rousch Racing would transplant a complete RS powertrain into a Fiesta Sedan and then build the engine to the point where it was a Hellcat Humiliator. Picture old Billy Bob in his Hellcat Red Eye at a light and he gets totally spanked by some little silver sedan with Fiesta SE on the trunk lid. If I ever hit the lottery it will happen. Of course I would have to get out the crowbar and pry open my wallet to buy a lottery ticket for that to happen.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I wonder if anyone has tried to up the power on the three banger???
There are tuners in Europe, where the Fiesta is popular, but not here. The 1.0 was an optional engine, and they didn't sell many here. You know how Americans feel about manual transmissions.

I believe there are stage 1 or 2 tunes that can kick the power up to around 140 hp, but you can't use them on the American car.