Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST NASA TT5, Build-ish, Results, Track Videos

OP
S
Thread Starter #101
Got all Dyno'd up and certified for the championships. Detuned the S280 to a flatish ~225. We have to be under 233 with our weight of 2750, and we figure the dyno in Monterey will read some higher as the air temp and the elevation will be lower.

1662154018412.png

OP
S
Thread Starter #102
So NASA Championships have come and gone. We came home without a win, and only 5th place of 13. We ran a 1:41.1 as a best for the weekend. There were several laps that were in the mid and low 1:40s, but always unlucky with traffic, or the occasional mistake. Either way the car worked pretty well, but we were out driven and out carred. We were beaten by 3 BMW 330 SpecE46 race cars, and a well driven and well built S2000 race car. I think we could/should have had 4th, but 1-3 were out of reach this time. Time to decide if we continue with the Fiesta or get into a more appropriate car for the class for next year.

Video of best session, 1:41.13

2 Big learnings:
1-Car doesn't like rough curbing. We had it shut itself off 2 times coming out of turn 3 on the exit curbs. The entertainment screen said "cannot reach 911......" or something like that, and the engine shut off, all buttons became unresnsive, including the on/off button, and the horn and flashers were going off like a car alarm. We had to roll off of the track and a corner worker actually had a wrench to pull the battery for us to reset it. Nothing would happen with the car until battery was pulled....
2-Wrong car to compete within the class. Could be because it is still a street car with most of the interior, AC, and no cage for rigidity, or just the limitations of a beam rear axle and struts, but I am not sure what it will take to get to a 1:39 flat. I need to figure out if its possible in the car before we move forward. It needs to be in 1:38.9 to win.... I need to improve, but the car needs to give more also. Strip it, get the weight lower, a little more power or lower weight with a few modification changes, and maybe some more weight rearranging from front to rear(front crash bar, AC delete, etc.)

Thanks for everyone's support. I didn't embarrass us, just didn't embarrass everyone else either(by beating them with a fiesta). It certainly felt out of place on grid, being more like a minivan than a race car.....

Last edited:

Nitelife

Premium Account
So NASA Championships have come and gone. We came home without a win, and only 5th place of 13. We ran a 1:41.1 as a best for the weekend. There were several laps that were in the mid and low 1:40s, but always unlucky with traffic, or the occasional mistake. Either way the car worked pretty well, but we were out driven and out carred. We were beaten by 3 BMW 330 SpecE46 race cars, and a well driven and well built S2000 race car. I think we could/should have had 4th, but 1-3 were out of reach this time. Time to decide if we continue with the Fiesta or get into a more appropriate car for the class for next year.

Video of best session, 1:41.13

2 Big learnings:
1-Car doesn't like rough curbing. We had it shut itself off 2 times coming out of turn 3 on the exit curbs. The entertainment screen said "cannot reach 911......" or something like that, and the engine shut off, all buttons became unresnsive, including the on/off button, and the horn and flashers were going off like a car alarm. We had to roll off of the track and a corner worker actually had a wrench to pull the battery for us to reset it. Nothing would happen with the car until battery was pulled....
Not sure if you have read through Woods247 thread on similar issue with 911 + engine shut off. I forget if there was a resolution. Definitely not something you want to trigger in the midst of a race.

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/airbag-light-hazards-horn-honking-no-power-and-911-call.25419/

Thanks for representing the FiST out there!!!

OP
S
Thread Starter #104
Some images from the races.

Attachments

OP
S
Thread Starter #105
Also, a brake update....
We love the EBC kit. The SR-11 pads last so long. The image of 2 pads shows a new pad(copper color) and the pad we finished the NASA race on. We already had 100 track laps on the pads and rotors, and put on around 60+ Laguna Seca laps on them and these are images taken when we got home to put the street pads back on. Never faded, no brake problem or inconsistencies. I will be putting them on any other track cars we use in the future.

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Also, a brake update....
We love the EBC kit. The SR-11 pads last so long. The image of 2 pads shows a new pad(copper color) and the pad we finished the NASA race on. We already had 100 track laps on the pads and rotors, and put on around 60+ Laguna Seca laps on them and these are images taken when we got home to put the street pads back on. Never faded, no brake problem or inconsistencies. I will be putting them on any other track cars we use in the future.
Those hood louvers really work? Gauging my interest in a set for sale

OP
S
Thread Starter #107
Those hood louvers really work? Gauging my interest in a set for sale
They work very much. Surprisingly. Air pressure numbers didn't seem to change that much under hood. But water and oil temps are significantly lower. It was convincing enough that i cut up a nice carbon hood after testing our vented stock hood against the carbon one. This testing was in Phoenix in summer on the road, so exaggerated ambient temp. This made it easier to see the differences because the car water temp was over the thermostat open temp.

Last edited: