Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST - P0087 - High Pressure Fuel Rail Fault - Stalling While Driving

alex4580

Hello,

I've been having some really headache inducing issues with my stock 2015 Fiesta ST. It all started one night a few weeks back when leaving the Wal-Mart parking lot. At around 10MPH, the vehicle randomly stalled out. When I started it back up, the EML didn't come on, and the vehicle ran perfectly fine with no further issues. I made it all the way home, and figured it was a fluke; maybe just cold weather.

Fast forward a week, and I'm driving home for lunch, and my vehicle stalls out again. This time, in traffic. Well, maybe it's not a fluke, I thought. I start it back up, taking only a few cranks to come back to life; no weird sounds, no seeking, no limp mode. So, I pull into the gas station, check my oil (which I admittedly have gone about 2K mi over it's due date). It's a bit low so I get home, after stalling out a few times, and top off the oil for now. Off work, I get in my car, and now the EML has come on. So, I drive it to the shop to get the code read. It's popping a P0087 with a description that reads, "High Pressure Fuel Rail Fault." Okay, but that's not very precise, now is it? The next day, I drive over to the lift to change my oil, but they're closed. At this point, the car is stalling out far more often, posing some serious safety issues. So, I haven't driven it in over a week now. I still have to change that oil...

The part that frustrates me is that when the vehicle is running, it does not sound any different, does not idle differently, and does not do anything but randomly kill. I've put some fuel treatment in and have successfully held it at about 2K RPMs, revving the engine periodically, for over 15 minutes from cold start, but then it will inevitably stall out. Once it stalls the first time, subsequent runs tend to stall out much sooner.

I don't want to buy the entire catalog of High Pressure Fuel System components to see if I get lucky with one of them. Does anyone know what my issue could be?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
What causes the P0087 code?

• The most common cause is a clogged fuel screen or filter
  • A failing fuel pump
  • A restricted fuel line
  • Improperly reading fuel pressure sensor will set P0087 as well
What are the symptoms of the P087 code?

• Check Engine Light illuminated on the dashboard
  • Vehicle may run poorly
  • Loss of engine power, noticed during acceleration
  • Engine misfire
  • Vehicle may stop running
How does a mechanic diagnose the P0087 code?

• A mechanic will begin by using a scan tool to read any codes present.
  • Once these codes are identified and the freeze frame information looked at for each code they will be cleared.
  • Next a road test will be performed under similar conditions as the freeze frame data.
  • If the Check Engine Light comes on a visual inspection of the fuel tank, fuel lines, and fuel filter will be performed.
  • Manual fuel pressure readings will then be taken at the fuel rail and compared to specifications. A scan tool will then be used to compare manual readings to what the ECM sees.
  • Lastly, the fuel pump will be tested.
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0087 code

• Mistakes are made when steps are skipped or not completed.
  • Though the most common cause is a clogged fuel filter this will not fix all vehicles and circumstances.
  • It is important to follow the steps so unnecessary repairs are not performed wasting time and money.

If you have an AP you can actually read your high pressure and low fuel pressure see if one of them is out of range. Then see what the ohm range is for the high pressure pump and test that. I've only had to replace them in GMs so far. Haven't replaced any on any other manufacturers yet.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Change the oil. Id look at the part that rides on the cam itself that the hpfp uses. It could be worn out enough that its causing a pressure drop. This is a wild shot in the dark mind you.