Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Transmission Chatter

bmx182

Hello,

My car has been at the dealership for almost 3 weeks now and they have not been able to determine what the issue is. They keep saying "without taking apart the car, we cannot pinpoint the issue". Wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem before. The video is not mine, and the owner of it has not responded to any comments with his solution.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFYck-jOVs8&fbclid=IwAR2kUgLZx3dtpRh_LeNGeYvg8E5NRrI8Anhd3Yx4Ct7-c5dXUuVsAHNveS4

I've received the following comments already and am looking for input:

"
Does your sound like this? Sounds a bit like gear chatter.
If it does it with the clutch pushed in then it would be the throw out bearing or something on the clutch.
If it does it only with the clutch released in neutral then something on the input shaft.
If only in gear with the clutch released then likely a bearing on the output shaft.

I had some bearings die in my transmission, but they didn't sound like this, just whining likely because it caused the gear angle to change slightly."

"
Sounds like the dual mass flywheel to me
"

That does sound like dual mass flywheel. If you hear that noise just sitting stationary in neutral revving the engine, i would say that's it.

Sam4

And I go with tranny bearings. Ford screwed the pooch with this trans - we're all paying. Mine left the building at 59K, had to park it to keep it under warranty, and finally those bastards covered it. 20K later - 5th no longer accepts downshifts, and reverse (lock out?) is beginning to get weird. All kinds of clutch left - its all syncros and soft metal....

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Mine has been making that noise ever so quietly since new, the dealership bounced me several times until my warranty ended :| it's super duper quiet and I only hear it rolling to a stop with the clutch in though. But it sounds almost identical, the difference being volume and frequency.

Yelbom15

U.S. Army Veteran
I’m just bringing this up. My transmission does the same exact noise but much quieter. Was there a universal fix to this or just the nature of the beast?

Yelbom15

U.S. Army Veteran
Dusting off this subject with an update. I replaced the transmission fluid with a full 2 liters of Motul 300…chatter went away.
I don’t really know why but the transmission noises have completely died down. I didn’t measure the amount of fluid that came out but everything looked good visually. Unsure if it was just a little on the low side? Anyways, I think I see why Motul 300 is a favorite from a lot of users.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^It is substantially thicker than the 'water-like' DCT fluid factory fill, and a bit more viscous than the popular on here MTF2 fluids, so yeah a bit more 'cushion' could quell some gearbox noise.