Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

First Oil Change: Asked for Synth but got Semi Blend?

iso100

1000 Post Club
So my car finally had the transmission replaced under warranty (see my other thread, "Gear noise?" for details) at 2400 miles and asked the dealer to also do an oil change. I specifically requested Synthetic just to be sure although I know fully synthetic is required for all EcoBoost engines.

I get home and go over the paperwork to see the oil part number as:
XO*5W20*BSP MOTORCRAFT SAE 5W-20 API GF-5

Upon searching around I see that BSP is a semi-synthetic blend. This is very concerning to me since the manual calls for QSP (Prem Synt Blend) or QFS (Full Synth).

Do any of you have your oil change paperwork laying around with the model number the used?

I read this thread and see that it's actually just bulk synthetic oil but want to make totally sure:
http://www.f150forum.com/f70/another-ecoboost-oil-177486/#post2127611

Then again:

* Synth Blend : https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica... Synthetic Blend Motor Oil&category=Motor Oil
* Fully Synthetic : https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica...0 Full Synthetic Motor Oil&category=Motor Oil

Let's look at the last three letters in the part number:

* The First letter in the last three is Q for quart, D for drum and B for bulk.
* The second and third are the type. SP = Synth Blend. FS = Full Synthetic.

Looks like I get to go back to the dealer AGAIN.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Oh, not full synthetic? I guess as long as Ford approves it then I don't have warranty concerns.

Thanks.

The Semi-Synthetic Motorcraft 5w-20 is a superb oil. The full synthetic is not usually stocked in any real quantity, and is triple the cost. For the price of the fully synthetic oil there are better options out there, and the only noticeable difference between it and the Semi-Synth is how much lighter your wallet will be.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Great information especially because dealer oil changes are free for me.

Another pro-tip, if you feel brave enough to tackle oil changes by yourself, Walmart sells a 5-quart jug of the Motorcraft 5w20 Semi-Synth for $17. It's a hell of deal.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Good to know, thanks!

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
For general information.
It is better NOT to use FULL-Synthetic Oil in the first 5K miles.
This allows the engine to break in properly.

I too have my oil changed at the dealer and I now use FULL Synthetic.

Dave

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
What does that run you? $69?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
What does that run you? $69?
I am sorry, I really don't know.
I bought the maintenance package with the car and got the upgrade to Full-Synthetic every 5K miles for free.

Dave

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I just got the "works" done last for my 7500 mile service and it cost me around $60 for full synthetic.

YIN

My paperwork only shows :CXO*10*L engine oil.
I don't know what is that...

I've always heard that so long as you don't change your oil prematurely, you can go to full synthetic on your first change. The reason being, there are detergents in the oil from the factory necessary for break in.

That said, I wouldn't go with something like Penzoil Platinum right off the bat. In my experience it stripes the engine clean, and is too harsh for at least the first 15,000 miles or so. I'd lean towards a cheaper synthetic with no cleaning agents.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I did a full synthetic change for my first oil change, 7,500 miles. I've heard you can switch back and forth though between semi and full. That whole "you can't switch" thing is a myth apparently.

Ford Community Posts