Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Flashing then steady TPMS light

Just got my tires replaced with Firestone Indy 500 last Monday. Yesterday the tire light flashed for about a minute then stayed on. It does this every start up. Tire pressure seems okay. Is this a malfunction/broken sensor?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ya I had that because my tire guys did not have a reprogram tool I tried doing the manual reset routine which involved deflating each tire completely while in target learn mode. It was sketchy at best and did not work.
I went on Amazon and bought a reprogram tool for Fords for like $12 and literarily put the car in learn mode and pointed the thing at the base of the valve stem while holding the button down.
Boom Horn honked and moved on to the next week ten minutes later no more TPMS light or flashing saying it could not read my TPMS sensors. . Its been fine ever since. Well worth $12

The procedure in the supplement DOES NOT WORK. Tried this myself and no joy so I went to he Firestone dealer who had installed the tires and still no joy. What works is the older method of the dance between brake pedal and ignition. Good news is there was an Old Hand at the Firestone dealer who had the ignition/brake pedal dance down cold. Had my tpms system reset perfectly in about 2 minutes.

Following is what I found on the Net.

1) Get the TPMS fault light to come on.

2) Re-check the tire pressure to make sure all 4 are correctly inflated.

3) Make sure the car is off.

4) Press and release the brake pedal

5) Press ignition button on, off, on, off, on.

Make sure the system boots up all the way before turning it off each time. If you do this too fast it won't work.

6) Press and release the brake pedal.

7) Press ignition button off.

8) Press ignition button on, off, on, off, on.

The horn will beep once and a message about training the front left tire will appear on the display.

9) Use the training transmitter to train each wheel.
Start at the front left, front right, rear right, then rear left.
Hold the transmitter against the sidewall of the tire, near the valve stem.

Once all 4 tires have been reset the horn will beep twice.

Note, I have not tried this particular method myself but it seems to be what that mechanic at Firestone did. Me, I cheat. I just take the car into the Ford Dealer and get "The Works". BTW, part of this package is a Tire Rotation. Hey, it's zero cost as a perk for purchasing a new Ford and I still have 3 more of the Works in my Fordpass account. Also have something like 45,000 points left and IRRC I get more points whenever I go in and get "The Works". The way its working I may not have to pay for an oil change for 3 or 4 years.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The procedure in the supplement DOES NOT WORK. Tried this myself and no joy so I went to he Firestone dealer who had installed the tires and still no joy. What works is the older method of the dance between brake pedal and ignition. Good news is there was an Old Hand at the Firestone dealer who had the ignition/brake pedal dance down cold. Had my tpms system reset perfectly in about 2 minutes.

Make sure the system boots up all the way before turning it off each time. If you do this too fast it won't work.

The horn will beep once and a message about training the front left tire will appear on the display.

Note, I have not tried this particular method myself but it seems to be what that mechanic at Firestone did. Me, I cheat. I just take the car into the Ford Dealer and get "The Works". BTW, part of this package is a Tire Rotation. Hey, it's zero cost as a perk for purchasing a new Ford and I still have 3 more of the Works in my Fordpass account. Also have something like 45,000 points left and IRRC I get more points whenever I go in and get "The Works". The way its working I may not have to pay for an oil change for 3 or 4 years.
This is exactly what I did except you had to do the turn off turn on like 6 times. I got the info off googling it on my phone . As with different Fords the sequence number varies. I did then use the reprogram tool .
Oh and most people do not like going to the Ford dealer for this stuff let alone getting the works Iol.

Weird. I’ve used the procedure in the supplement about a month ago. I did notice you have to deflate the tire to like 15-20psi before it would honk at you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Weird. I’ve used the procedure in the supplement about a month ago. I did notice you have to deflate the tire to like 15-20psi before it would honk at you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried the tire deflation reset procedure after having my TPMS sensors switched to my new aftermarket wheels a while back, and it didn't work for me either. The problem then as you said is that you've let most of the air out of the tires, so I find it a really annoying procedure.
In my case it turned out the tire place had broken two of the sensors transferring them over, so the procedure may have worked if the sensors weren't broken, but I still think it's a really stupid procedure that requires you to let so much air out of the tires.

The reason why I get The Works is because a) it is free, and b) a tire rotation is part of the package. Don't know about you but for me rotating the tires is a distinct PITS. Maybe someday if I can afford a 4 post lift that will change but getting it done for free is a no brainer. BTW I carry a torque wrench in the FiST and am not the least bit shy about using it to check the dealers workmanship.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
BTW I carry a torque wrench in the FiST and am not the least bit shy about using it to check the dealers workmanship.
Same here, since in effing Pennsyltuckey, at our required privatized only inspections, they mandate that two diagonal wheels be removed to check the brakes.

I tell the kiddies working at the station to just get the lug nuts on with the air wrenches which they INSIST on using (some of these places have the audacity to charge you an extra $10.00+ PER WHEEL for hand tightening/torquing requests! [mad]) snug by stopping when the gun just slows down a bit, and then torque them properly before driving off when done.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The light is off on its own now, and hasn't came on since I made the post. I hate TPMS.
If I knew for certain that I could trust FORSCAN to NOT eff up my whole BCM system (or that I would use it properly so that this would not happen), like it has for some on here, I would just dump the whole POS TPMS BS forever!!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I check the air in my tires regularly, but I still like having a TPMS system as a backup. The stock tires are so low profile that it's hard to tell if they're significantly down on air just by looking at them, and I don't always look at them before getting in the car anyway. The one time my TPMS light was activated, it turned out I had picked up a nail and the tire was down to about 16 lb of air. The system saved me from driving off and possibly trashing that tire.
I do wish our system told you which tire was down on air, and was easier to reset.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
If I knew for certain that I could trust FORSCAN to NOT eff up my whole BCM system (or that I would use it properly so that this would not happen), like it has for some on here
I feel the same way about FORSCAN, that if I ever tried to use it I would definitely brick my car.