Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FLP/ Fuel Low Pressure sensor DIY

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well i popped codes of P0087 Fuel rail pressure/system pressure too low and P008a Low Fuel pressure detected in the system.

Here is a list of tools I used to do the repair.

1. Gather tools

3/8 ratchet
3/8 stubby ratchet
3/8 to 1/2 inch adapter
15/16 Deep socket
Two long 3/8 extensions
Towel
Skinny Arms

2. If you have skinny Arms like I do....put the Towel preferably a medium sized one down near the sensor which is at the supply line into the HPFP near to exhaust manifold. The towel will be used to catch an excess fuel that may come out and prevention of a car-b-que. You can see the sensor barely here but the towel is underneath it. DO THIS ON A COLD CAR ALSO TO PREVENT BURNS.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

3. Get your sensor out. Here is the part number and what it looks like. It will fit nicely into the 15/16ths deep socket also BTW. If you have small Arms like me...i could fit them in between the Intake pipe and finaggle the Stubby onto the old sensor. It doesn't take much to undo/ remove the old one either. Unscrew the old one and remove it. Then install the NEW ONE BY HAND NOT WITH THE TOOL TO AVOID CROSSTHREADING IT. Spin it down until it can be turned anymore.

4. After it is Finger tight get the Two long 3/8 extensions and link them together or use one long one. Then you will put the socket onto the sensor and then insert the extensions through the little area by the intake pipe to the socket and tighten the sensor. DONT HE-MAN IT ON THERE. It is maybe a 1/4 turn thats it.

5. Start up the FiST and check for leaks and erase codes and go hauls ass during the test drive....I know I did!

6. Most of all have a Happy 4th of July

Last edited:
How many times has the code popped up so far? Mine ran funny like it was missing when I was just lightly passing someone on the highway. No codes until I was setting up a new scanner at work at just scanned the FiST for shits and giggles and I had that code and one for the torque. Cleared it and it just came back on a few days ago. I'm at 67K. I thought it was just bad gas because I got it a Circle K in OK.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Woods247

2000 Post Club
@TyphoonFiST did you relieve the fuel pressure before removing the sensor? I’m about to attempt this today. I gotta remove the cowl and/or induction hose to get to it though. I still haven’t been able to locate it back there.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #6
@TyphoonFiST did you relieve the fuel pressure before removing the sensor? I’m about to attempt this today. I gotta remove the cowl and/or induction hose to get to it though. I still haven’t been able to locate it back there.
I just let the vehicle sit for a couple hours and cool down. Best idea EVER. [emoji362] it is very easy to do. Difficulty on a 1-10 ...10 being Rocket surgery and 1 being playdoh....I give it a 1.5 out of 10.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I just let the vehicle sit for a couple hours and cool down. Best idea EVER. [emoji362] it is very easy to do. Difficulty on a 1-10 ...10 being Rocket surgery and 1 being playdoh....I give it a 1.5 out of 10.

Ok cool. Since the time I posted, I managed to remove both cowls and induction hose to get a better view. Is this it?
96BC2DDD-3BFF-4F39-A183-A799CBC9DBC5.jpeg

I've been getting soft codes for P018C and P008A (Low Pressure Circuit and Low Pressure Fuel System, Low...)

Just replaced the pump after I thought it sounded like it was going out... turns out that is normal... I'm going to try the sensor next and if neither fix the problem... I really don't wanna go any further on my own haha.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
I've been getting soft codes for P018C and P008A (Low Pressure Circuit and Low Pressure Fuel System, Low...)

Just replaced the pump after I thought it sounded like it was going out... turns out that is normal... I'm going to try the sensor next and if neither fix the problem... I really don't wanna go any further on my own haha.
I also have been experiencing those codes, the 18C one persisting after clearing. Did replacing the sensor remove those codes?

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Did the same today myself! Along with the towel, I popped out the fuel pump relay/fuse and ran the car until it died before swapping out the sensor; still got 2-3 teaspoons of gas on the towel so I'm glad I did it. Needed the 24mm to get the original sensor off as it was really on there tight, and taking out the intake hose (not crossover) helped a lot too for the additional space. After a light spray down with some water and some time to evaporate all codes were clear and the car ran fine. Thanks for the write-up!

Fin

I wanted to mention this in case other people have similar symptoms maybe this will help.
I had a very strong gas smell
coming from my car. (2016 90k miles) I replaced my evap purge valve a while back (maybe around 60k a few years ago) so I knew this wasn’t the issue. I was getting codes P008A and at one point P018c and when i replaced the low pressure fuel sensor this fixed my issue. I now no longer have the codes nor the gas smell. so the sensor going bad can be the raw gas smell. or (potentially just the O-ring around the sensor could of went bad and may could save you the money) (sensor cost me 50$ on rock auto for motorcraft genuine sensor) hopefully this helps