Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Flywheel dilemma

My slave cylinder went out. Shocker. That part is cheap and I have no problem getting one. OEM Clutch kit is affordable and available.

The stock flywheel isn't exactly cheap, and I can't seem to find one.

My car is basically stock, and I like to use Motorcraft parts. The cars I've driven with aftermarket or lightweight flywheels have not been great experiences, maybe its great on the track but this isn't a track toy it's my weekend driver. I'm looking for a factory driving experience, and reliability. Are there any flywheel options that produce a stock or close to factory driving experience with similar reliability? Or should harder to try and find a factory flywheel?

Flywheel Inspection - 1.6L EcoBoost (132kW/180PS) – Sigma
Inspection

NOTE: Do not clean the dual mass flywheel with compressed air.

NOTE: Do not clean the dual mass flywheel with any kind of fluid, use a dry cloth only or damage to the dual mass flywheel may occur.

NOTE: Do not clean the gap between the primary and secondary mass. Only clean the bolt connection surface and the clutch surface or damage to the dual mass flywheel may occur.

NOTE: The dual mass flywheel cannot be machined.

1. NOTE: The dual mass flywheel should be replaced if it has been scored by the clutch or if it has large cracks. Minor heat cracks and heat discoloration do not effect the function of the dual mass flywheel. The dual mass flywheel can be re-used if it has minor heat cracks or heat discoloration.
    Inspect the clutch contact surface for damage.
    1. If large cracks or scoring are found on the clutch contact surface, install a new dual mass flywheel.
      Refer to: Flywheel (303-01C Engine - 1.6L EcoBoost (132kW/180PS) – Sigma, Removal and Installation).
    1. Minor heat cracks on the clutch contact surface is acceptable wear. Do NOT install a new dual mass flywheel.
    1. Minor heat scoring on the clutch contact surface is acceptable wear. Do NOT install a new dual mass flywheel.

1. NOTE: This check should be done at room temperature.
    NOTE: Move the secondary mass by hand right and left several times before proceeding with the freeplay check.
    Place a reference mark on the secondary mass of the dual mass flywheel.

1. Using light hand pressure, rotate the secondary mass clockwise to the end of the freeplay. Place a reference mark on the primary mass of the dual mass flywheel, in line with the reference mark on the secondary mass.

1. Using light hand pressure, rotate the secondary mass counterclockwise to the end of the freeplay. Place a second reference mark on the secondary mass of the dual mass flywheel, in line with the reference mark on the primary mass.

1. Measure the rotational freeplay between the 2 reference marks on the secondary mass of the dual mass flywheel. If the rotational freeplay exceeds 10 mm (0.394 in), install a new dual mass flywheel.

1. Inspect the dual mass flywheel ring gear. If the ring gear is damaged, install a new dual mass flywheel.
    Refer to: Flywheel (303-01C Engine - 1.6L EcoBoost (132kW/180PS) – Sigma, Removal and Installation).

1. Inspect the dual mass flywheel guide pins. If the guide pins are missing or different lengths, install a new dual mass flywheel.

1. Inspect the transmission bell housing for traces of grease. If there is an excessive amount of grease 46.4 mm (1.83 in) from the front edge of the bell housing, install a new dual mass flywheel.

My slave cylinder went out. Shocker. That part is cheap and I have no problem getting one. OEM Clutch kit is affordable and available.

The stock flywheel isn't exactly cheap, and I can't seem to find one.

My car is basically stock, and I like to use Motorcraft parts. The cars I've driven with aftermarket or lightweight flywheels have not been great experiences, maybe its great on the track but this isn't a track toy it's my weekend driver. I'm looking for a factory driving experience, and reliability. Are there any flywheel options that produce a stock or close to factory driving experience with similar reliability? Or should harder to try and find a factory flywheel?
Did you end up replacing it? I opted to skip the flywheel when I replaced my slave cylinder as well. 2k miles and no issues so far.

I had the slave cylinder fail at 30,000 miles on my ST, so it was fully covered under the bumper to bumper warranty.. Prior to pulling the transmission I had to sign that I would be responsible for the R&R cost for the transmission if the problem I was having was traced to a wear item. The cost for the transmission R&R was 1546.00 dollars last July. So they pull the transmission and it's a daily thing "you should really replace the clutch while we have the transmission out". Because if I replace a "wear item" that R&R cost shifts to me. Being sensible I did NOT replace the clutch, Flywheel, or the pressure plate. BTW the dealer did inspect the clutch and in the service notes for the warranty work it was noted that "There was no Visible wear to Clutch of Flywheel". Note, I've been driving a Stick since 1967 so I do have a bit of experience with a manual transmission.

That said eventually the clutch will need to be replaced. When that happens I intend to replace the whole works, Flywheel, Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Slave Cylinder. Because when R&R costs are that high you don't try and get an "extra" 50,000 miles out of the original Flywheel.

OP
Colorado Darren
Thread Starter #8
Did you end up replacing it? I opted to skip the flywheel when I replaced my slave cylinder as well. 2k miles and no issues so far.
I did, I was able to find a factory flywheel. I probably could have reused it, but I'm glad I had all new parts in there when I put it back together.