Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Focus RS Interior/Exterior POV Review

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
This past weekend I got a chance to get up close with the Focus RS and record some video reviewing some of my thoughts on the car. There is also a link to detailed pictures I took of the car at the Chicago Auto Show.

[video=youtube;LwkLCmvqgK4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwkLCmvqgK4[/video]

[video=youtube;9eLscNdwSqo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eLscNdwSqo[/video]

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brgt350/albums/72157663928408049

Overall, the car is very impressive sitting still. I can only imagine what this thing is like on the street and track.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Great video. Did they not let you take a peak under the hood? lol

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Great video. Did they not let you take a peak under the hood? lol
nope, the hood latch was disconnected. :(

This was a US spec RS, which was good to see. Back when the Fiesta launched, most of the of the show cars were European models with US bumpers and exterior stuff. There are some slight differences between the US and EU interiors, such as the lack of the compartment below the headlight switch. I was very excited to find the RS unlocked and nobody was around it, so I took advantage of the situation and shot some video. I wanted to make some changes and reshoot, but went back later to find it always crowded with people. My first take with the review is all I could get.

The GT350 also had the latch disconnected, but somebody managed to get it popped open. I snapped a few pics and was quickly moved out of the way and the hood was closed. Strange since the GT350 is current production.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Nicely done review [MENTION=1313]BRGT350[/MENTION] .....thanks for posting!

Here's an under hood pic of Focus RS....

black-engine-technology-on-front-Ford-Focus-RS-2016-blue-color.jpg

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'll say this once....NEVER EVER EVER EVER BUY A FIRST MODEL YEAR OF ANY VEHICLE! First they are usually way overpriced....second it's the year of technical difficulties and bugs that still need to be worked out. Third....Don't be that guy.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
I actually have bought the majority of my cars all new and all the first year, the only exception being the ST which I missed the deadline for 2014 and my SVT Focus that I bought used. I never had any real problems that would deter me from buying a first year car.

Thanks BoostBumps for the link!

I do agree the RS looks best in white, just needs white wheels for me.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
The real question is how do I get a job as the person dusting the cars? Automotive Custodial Engineer, at your service.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Bought my ST in its first year and knock on wood no problems yet. And I would buy the hell out of the RS in it's first year if I could. No regrets.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I have a first year FiST. Been modifying/changing/logging/tuning since 700 miles. It's now at 26k with no issues. Needless to say, it's withstood a lot of abuse and I've only got one rattle that I caused. I dropped a cowl screw once and it disappeared. Ever since then, it rattles at two certain frequencies (rpm).

I'm usually on board with the "don't buy first year" thing, but someone has to buy them or they won't keep making them. That said, the RS is supposedly a limited production vehicle so who knows just how many years it will be made before it's discontinued. This is the one car that has me questioning keeping my FiST long term and I say that as someone that owned and didn't like the Focus ST. The RS is a beast and while a fair few of my issues with the ST are just as present in it, the beastly nature of the RS is probably more than enough to make me forget the things I didn't like about the FoST.

Here's what I'm waiting on...

1. Is it still being made in 3 years? I highly doubt I'll be willing to part with the FiST sooner than that.
2. What's the price looking like and are dealers marking them up due to the limited nature?
3. Can I walk into a showroom and buy one or do I have to jump through hoops?
4. Have there been any major mechanical issues of concern in years 1 and 2?
5. Finally, after it has been out for a bit, does it really live up to the hype?

$36k base price is decently high and there are a lot of cars you can buy with that kind of coin so it has to be just right or I'm not making the jump.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I'm usually on board with the "don't buy first year" thing, but someone has to buy them or they won't keep making them. That said, the RS is supposedly a limited production vehicle so who knows just how many years it will be made before it's discontinued. This is the one car that has me questioning keeping my FiST long term and I say that as someone that owned and didn't like the Focus ST. The RS is a beast and while a fair few of my issues with the ST are just as present in it, the beastly nature of the RS is probably more than enough to make me forget the things I didn't like about the FoST.

Here's what I'm waiting on...

1. Is it still being made in 3 years? I highly doubt I'll be willing to part with the FiST sooner than that.
2. What's the price looking like and are dealers marking them up due to the limited nature?
3. Can I walk into a showroom and buy one or do I have to jump through hoops?
4. Have there been any major mechanical issues of concern in years 1 and 2?
5. Finally, after it has been out for a bit, does it really live up to the hype?

$36k base price is decently high and there are a lot of cars you can buy with that kind of coin so it has to be just right or I'm not making the jump.
What cars fall under that price range that offer that performance though? Not being an ass, just wondering because I can't think of any.

And 36k is the base. You'll be going over 40k with a few options and the upgraded recarcos

What cars fall under that price range that offer that performance though? Not being an ass, just wondering because I can't think of any.

And 36k is the base. You'll be going over 40k with a few options and the upgraded recarcos
When you're going to $36k base price you can easily expand your options to include some pretty decently high end used cars as well and that can't be discarded. While you might have to make some serious compromises to buy a used Vette or Cayman at FiST money you have to make far fewer compromises on these cars at Focus RS money, especially when you consider, like you said, $36k is the base price and dealers are almost guaranteed to mark them up for the first year or two, then there is all the taxes and whatnot. Even without a single option, without a decent down payment, you're looking at $39k out the door since they probably won't haggle a car like this, but not including any potential market adjustment mark ups.

Regarding the options, they can keep all of them.

$1,995 on a "winter wheel" package? Hell no.

$1,990 on a forged 19" wheel w/ better summer tires? Considering I'd probably downsize to 17" anyway, super hell no.

$2,785 on the RS2 package for full leather, power driver seat, heated seats/mirrors/steering wheel & navigation? Not a chance. The base model comes with partial leather Recaros and I don't believe they are shaped any different so that's good enough for me. I'd miss the heated seats, but I don't use them enough in my FiST to justify the package because after 5-10 minutes they melt my ass and I turn them off. I'm fine with a manual adjust seat, one less electronic thing to break. Nav? I love having Nav, but all Sync 3 systems are getting a free upgrade to be Android Auto and CarPlay capable this year and that pretty much makes built in Nav a moot point if you don't mind using your phone for it instead (unless of course they hamstring some shit in there to only allow using CP/AA nav if you also have built in Nav, but if they did I'd just use nav directly on my phone and call it a day).

The base RS is plenty optioned and plenty capable and I see no reason to spend a dime extra on any of the available options.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
When you're going to $36k base price you can easily expand your options to include some pretty decently high end used cars as well and that can't be discarded. While you might have to make some serious compromises to buy a used Vette or Cayman at FiST money you have to make far fewer compromises on these cars at Focus RS money, especially when you consider, like you said, $36k is the base price and dealers are almost guaranteed to mark them up for the first year or two, then there is all the taxes and whatnot. Even without a single option, without a decent down payment, you're looking at $39k out the door since they probably won't haggle a car like this, but not including any potential market adjustment mark ups.

Regarding the options, they can keep all of them.

$1,995 on a "winter wheel" package? Hell no.

$1,990 on a forged 19" wheel w/ better summer tires? Considering I'd probably downsize to 17" anyway, super hell no.

$2,785 on the RS2 package for full leather, power driver seat, heated seats/mirrors/steering wheel & navigation? Not a chance. The base model comes with partial leather Recaros and I don't believe they are shaped any different so that's good enough for me. I'd miss the heated seats, but I don't use them enough in my FiST to justify the package because after 5-10 minutes they melt my ass and I turn them off. I'm fine with a manual adjust seat, one less electronic thing to break. Nav? I love having Nav, but all Sync 3 systems are getting a free upgrade to be Android Auto and CarPlay capable this year and that pretty much makes built in Nav a moot point if you don't mind using your phone for it instead (unless of course they hamstring some shit in there to only allow using CP/AA nav if you also have built in Nav, but if they did I'd just use nav directly on my phone and call it a day).

The base RS is plenty optioned and plenty capable and I see no reason to spend a dime extra on any of the available options.
Well when you say it like that, it's hard to argue. Ha.

Well when you say it like that, it's hard to argue. Ha.
Lol, yeah. Don't get me wrong though, I really do dig the RS and it may very well be my next car if the situation is right and I decide not to keep the FiST long term, I just don't see a lot of worth in the available options. In the end, I currently love my FiST a whole lot and I could easily see keeping the car very long term, but I'm also not stupid enough to guarantee that because 2-3 years can bring a lot of changed feelings toward a car. If in 2-3 years I do decide to dump the FiST I'm going to take a look at what's available and if the RS is still the best value and I can actually buy one without signing over my kidney, I might buy one.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
The RS will be my next car as well, but not in the near future. I plan on keeping my ST for at least 5 years, which is around my normal time for keeping a new car. I give the RS 2 years of production before the platform is changed and the RS will be on hold until later in that product cycle. Given my want for the RS since 2002, I imagine that won't change in a few years when it is time to buy a different car. I still 100% love my Fiesta ST and not ready to part with the car.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Ford Focus RS Interview at the 2016 Chicago Auto Show

FYI...

"That's one of the biggest myths or misconceptions out there....We are building way more than 2000 units" - Ford

Published on Feb 14, 2016

Interview with Ford's Marketing Director, Omar Odeh, about the new 2016 Ford Focus RS.

Interview date: February 11, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iclbyYGmlcc&feature=youtu.be

[video=youtube;iclbyYGmlcc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iclbyYGmlcc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

FYI...

"That's one of the biggest myths or misconceptions out there....We are building way more than 2000 units" - Ford

Published on Feb 14, 2016

Interview with Ford's Marketing Director, Omar Odeh, about the new 2016 Ford Focus RS.

Interview date: February 11, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iclbyYGmlcc&feature=youtu.be

[video=youtube;iclbyYGmlcc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iclbyYGmlcc&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Honestly they didn't give me much confidence. He said we're getting way more than 2,000 units, but he didn't say how many and he also majorly deflected the question about future model years. It could still very well be a 2-3 year run vehicle, or less, and "way more than 2,000" could also mean something like 6,000 cars. Time will tell I suppose, but we've been asking for the RS for yeas and Ford never cared so I could easily see them running the new one for 2 years, 5-10k per year, and then cancel it.