Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford and VW potential merger??

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Hm. Seems like a great way to make Fords less reliable and VW's customer service worse.

christ on a cracker go check out a 1year graph of vw's stock price lol - that cliff is nuts.

OP
add_lightness
Thread Starter #5
The only benefits I can possibly see are interior upgrades for Ford and Quattro/DSG technology borrowed.

VW would get pick-up trucks. I doubt they would stuff a coyote V8 in anything they make...

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
This is nothing new.
Ford has merged with or bought parts of other car companies before.
Mazda
Jaguar
Volvo

Who knows we could end up with a Festiva Beetle.

Dave

me32

1000 Post Club
This is nothing new.
Ford has merged with or bought parts of other car companies before.
Mazda
Jaguar
Volvo

Who knows we could end up with a Festiva Beetle.

Dave
Ford has sold/killed off all but Lincoln these days.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Ford has sold/killed off all but Lincoln these days.
Your comment is correct. [:)]

First, a merger may not happen at all.
Second, Ford may not keep any relations with VW in the future either.

This topic is about a potential merger, not a possible dissolvement.

My only point to this topic was that Ford has done this before.
So there is no reason to get excited.
We will just have to wait and see.

The "Festiva Beetle" was just a poor attempt at humor.

Dave

I don't see much controversial stuff in the article.....

I think the main thrust of the discussion between the companies regards possible platform sharing and some commercial vehicle power train development. It is not sounding like any sort of takeover. Nobody should get their hopes up regarding any sharing of quatro or Coyote hardware. I think they are just trying to grapple with the industry wide issue of development costs and platform proliferation. Joint component development is nothing new. Ford and GM recently co-engineered a transmission for their respective full size trucks that shares every component except for the cases. Our own Fiesta's are an example of a platform sharing agreement with Mazda. Ford Europe used a Flat 500 platform for the previous generation of Ka city car. This isn't a new practice. It is very likely to be the future of most Auto makers. The dev costs for vehicles is simply staggering. There is a broad consensus in the industry that cooperation is better than just spending ourselves into Oblivion.

Jerickson88

Most of the plants I go in to service lifts are making several parts for several manufacturers. I see Volvo, Audi, Mercedes, Hyundai, and a few others in the same plant for interior pieces, and exhaust manufacturers for several of them at other plants. Thereā€™s a few places that do wheel and tire assemblies and sheer metal work as well down here. All using the same place to produce and ship.

Hell, I have seen full body Mercedes SUVā€™s in logistics waiting to be shipped to MBUSI for build.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I don't know if I would like the logo.

Dave

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
People can't read. It says nothing about a buyout or merger, just shared platforms and technology. Geez!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk