Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford Finally Offers Apple Siri Eyes as a Free Update

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
December 3, 2015

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-finally-offers-apple-siri-eyes-free-as-free-update/

MyFordTouch_Phone_CallProgress_screen-626x382.jpg

Ford owners can now enable Apple Siri Eyes Free for the first time, via a free software update. But unlike most automakers, Ford is extending the upgrade to older cars, including any vehicle with MyFord Touch or MyLincoln Touch from 2011 onward.

Since Eyes Free debuted in 2012, other manufacturers have already integrated Apple’s voice assistant, which lets the driver start Siri commands with the vehicle’s talk switch instead of holding the iPhone’s home button. (Honda, GM, and Ferrari were among the automakers offering it in 2013, but Ford’s partnership with Microsoft prevented such a deal.) Eyes Free can dictate text messages, look up information from the web, and complete a range of other cloud-based tasks that Ford’s system can’t. Like previous MyFord Touch updates—and there have been several of them - owners can download the update to a USB stick and plug it into their cars. About five million vehicles are eligible. Whether or not Eyes Free and other voice controls actually work, studies have shown they can reduce a driver's concentration and be distracting despite their hands-free capabilities.

The company’s MyFord Touch has had a bumpy go of it. The system bombed shortly after it was introduced to fanfare in 2010. Laggardly, slow, and complex, the interface essentially ruined Ford’s original Sync voice-activated system, which it had revealed on the 2008 Focus. When combined with touch-sensitive radio and climate controls, MyFord Touch dragged down the company’s quality ratings for several years until Ford quietly started adding back physical knobs and buttons. The latest Sync 3 - which no longer runs on Microsoft componentry - is new for 2016 and currently available on 10 Ford and Lincoln models: Escape, Focus, Fiesta, Mustang, Transit, F-150, C-Max, MKC, MKX and the 2017 MKZ. By the end of 2016, all of Ford’s 2017 models will use Sync 3. We’ve tried it and came away impressed.

Okay, so I bought my 2014 FiST on the 16th of November. I updated Sync to Version 3.8 on the 18th of November. I just checked for the new update today, and there isn't one. So this news is a bit old. Either that, or Ford announced the next update before making it available.

The update I installed two weeks ago has Siri integration. It's not perfect. You have to hold down the talk button for about 5 seconds, sometimes longer, before Siri picks up. And it won't do more than play music or make calls. Siri can't, for instance, interface with the Nav or any of Sync's other commands. But it works.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #3
Yeah...Apparently the C/D article released today is referencing the latest update which Ford released awhile ago...

This is what was included in the last update which is copied directly from Ford's Sync update website...

EA5T-14D544-AD Gen2 - V3.8

ABOUT THE LATEST UPDATE

The new software update for SYNC® with MyFord Touch® systems includes all the improvements from previous updates, plus additional benefits such as:

Siri® Eyes Free*:
◾Now iPhone users can use Siri® Eyes Free with SYNC® with MyFord Touch®. With simple voice commands, SYNC® with MyFord Touch® enables you to operate the iPhone and SYNC® together. Siri® Eyes Free can be activated by pressing and holding the voice button for at least 3 seconds.

Secure, simple phone pairing:
◾Phone pairing is now easier.

Automatic reconnection:
◾If your phone disconnects, SYNC® with MyFord Touch® will automatically reconnect it.

I updated my 2014 back in mid-October. I just went to the SYNC update site and checked the change log for V3.8... sure enough Siri Eyes was there. I'll definitely start trying this out.