Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford Focus ST diesel confirmed

Fiesta ST News

Staff Member

Ford reveals extent of the changes to the Focus ST hot-hatch, including a diesel version to rival Golf GTD

Ford is following VW?s example with the 181bhp Golf GTD, by offering a diesel version of the Ford Focus ST for the first time. The announcement came at a dinner hosted by Mark Fields, Ford?s chief operating officer, in Geneva.

Powered by a 2.0 TDCi engine, the diesel ST will have 182bhp (1bhp more than the GTD) and cover 0-62mph in eight seconds ? 0.5 seconds slower than the Golf. CO2 emission will be 114g/km, while the chassis will get the same suspension and steering tune as the petrol-powered Focus ST.

Changes have also been made to the Focus ST range as a whole, including the styling updates ? inside and out - from the recently-facelifted Focus, plus an improvement in fuel economy of seven per cent for the 247bhp petrol version. Images of the revised car have yet to be released.

A ?heavily revised steering mount to reduce wheel hop and eliminate steering thump? has been added, along with new wheels and tyres and further tweaks to improve steering feel. The new Focus ST range goes on sale in the UK this summer.

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
I dont know how I feel about an ST diesel. A regular focus with a diesel I could get behind.

Perry

Meh. The torque numbers are fair, at best, it seems. The CO2 emissions looks to be about a third less than the gas-powered version, so that's a plus. Fuel costs in the states will be higher, so that's a negative. Can probably be run on diesel-like alternatives with modest mods--perhaps a positive, in the right hands. And then with depressed hp numbers, well . . . meh.

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
I like the concept but still prefer gas turbos over diesel.

Is this a European release only or will we get to see it over here in the U.S. too? I can see a diesel option for the S, SE, and Titanium version in the U.S. being profitable but an STd [giddy] might be, dare I say, too much of a niche car at this point in time. Heck of a collector car though!

Yeah, it isnt coming to the US. I completely agree with a Focus Titanium-D. That would be a fantastic car. I just want them to call it the Focus STD. "The hot hatch you've been itching for."

ryst

You thought the torque steer in the normal Focus ST was bad... imagine this car with a tune.

I'll take a diesel over a hybrid any day! Ford is stepping up and hopefully add diesel's to its North American lineup...especially in the compact, subcompact cars and 1/2 ton P/U's.

For those that have not experienced a "rodded" diesel might be surprised at how great they perform...check out some of the diesel tuners and the results they get...there are some strong F-250's with PowerStroke's that will put out some shocking numbers.

Etyrnus

I'll take a diesel over a hybrid any day! Ford is stepping up and hopefully add diesel's to its North American lineup...especially in the compact, subcompact cars and 1/2 ton P/U's.

For those that have not experienced a "rodded" diesel might be surprised at how great they perform...check out some of the diesel tuners and the results they get...there are some strong F-250's with PowerStroke's that will put out some shocking numbers.
Why do I get this mental image of a FoST "rolling coal"?