Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford has updated the Engine Oil Dipstick / Engine Oil specs for 2017 ST!

]While at my local Ford Dealership I was peeking around at the 2017 ST they had and I pulled the engine dipstick. Turns out Ford has redesigned the engine oil dipstick for 2017. Owners of the 2014's had complained about the horrible dipstick so Ford updated that for 2015/2016 models however the engine dipstick illustrated in the owner's manual/supplement manual did not reflect the change.

Ford has updated the 2017 ST's dipstick to BM5Z-6750-C which came from the Escape Turbo 1.6L. This dipstick is much easier to read and only cost around $6.

I guess Ford has been listening to their customers and they have also updated the owner's manual too.

[/IMG]

And Ford is also recommending both 5W20 and 5W30 engine oil!

[/IMG]

Last edited:
OP
M
Thread Starter #4
I ordered one this morning after I saw the update on the 17. I have the updated -B dipstick however my o-ring does not seal so I went with the updated 2017 dipstick.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
THANKS for this update info!! [thumb]

It seems that they added the 948B Euro spec 5W-20 to the list as well, which is good to see since that's the spec on the Motul Specific 5W-20 oil that went into my FiST's sump last week. [:)]

haste

1000 Post Club
Booyah. I've been running 5w-30 since 5k miles when I switched to full synth. [tongue]

Yay! Thanks for the info, will be ordering soon. Glad about the oil too, I just switched to 5W 30 last oil change!

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I'm assuming 5W-30 is recommended in Canada and not the US because of climate differences. I'd still be using recommended 5W-20. Interesting to know Ford switched to full synthetic instead of the blend, though.

KKaWing

I'm assuming 5W-30 is recommended in Canada and not the US because of climate differences. I'd still be using recommended 5W-20. Interesting to know Ford switched to full synthetic instead of the blend, though.
That's the thing though, wouldn't colder = thinner oil? Is the cooling systems on the FiST that deficient it would need every last ounce of heat extraction advantage the drop from 5w-30 to 5w-20 would bring? Or is it just fuel economy??

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Oil recommendations can vary by region for a variety of reasons. There could be mechanical differences, climate, emissions and mileage standards, etc.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I guess this 5W-30 option obviously PROVES that this engine does not need the 5W-20 for the variable valve timing/cam phasers to function properly.
(As IF the recs for heavier oils in other regions of the world did not already PROVE that fact! [wink])

At 10K miles, I may just go to one of the out of spec (but WAY WAY BEYOND better than the 'specced' oils as far as base stocks/add packs go) 'boutique' full synthetics (Red Line, Motul 300V, Torco SR5, Millers CFS, etc.) in 5W-30, especially for summer use, and take my chances with the whole; Moss-Magnuson/warranty/Ford doing a spectral analysis of my oil after an engine failure thing.

OP
M
Thread Starter #12
Got my new dipstick yesterday and it is so much easier to read. Highly recommend. Cost was $5.41.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
]While at my local Ford Dealership I was peeking around at the 2017 ST they had and I pulled the engine dipstick. Turns out Ford has redesigned the engine oil dipstick for 2017. Owners of the 2014's had complained about the horrible dipstick so Ford updated that for 2015/2016 models however the engine dipstick illustrated in the owner's manual/supplement manual did not reflect the change.

Ford has updated the 2017 ST's dipstick to BM5Z-6750-C which came from the Escape Turbo 1.6L. This dipstick is much easier to read and only cost around $6.

I guess Ford has been listening to their customers and they have also updated the owner's manual too.

[/IMG]

And Ford is also recommending both 5W20 and 5W30 engine oil!

[/IMG]
I found this helpful post while researching a small oil overfill by my dealer(which I determined probably wouldn't hurt anything, but I pulled some oil out anyway.) My '16 with a build date of 7/16 also has this updated BM5Z-6750-C dipstick as shown in the diagram above. As you said, the regular and supplemental manuals don't reflect the change, showing the earlier cable version in both of my '16 manuals.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
My 2016 also, already has the pictured dipstick. It is still very easy to overfill. 1/2 quart overfill isn't detrimental by any means, but it is definitely not good for the emissions (read: catalytic converter) equipment.

The warmer climates would benefit from the oil that remains more viscous (thicker) at higher temperatures. My guess for the backwards recommendations from Ford on oil weight, is that it is related to the differences between emissions/mileage regulations between the countries. Synthetic oil tends to be thinner than mineral so it's a little less important, but 5W-30 is the better option unless you're in a climate that sees frigid cold starts. (note: the "5W" denotes that they should be the same for cold starts) You're going to benefit more from changing your oil more often versus sticking *THE* most expensive product you can find and keeping it in there longer. Even the best oil, still gets dirty.

In the UK, we have had 3 dipstick revisions, our latest one looks like your latest one. 5w20 was only recommended for a short while here (2014) then they switched back to 5w30 which i've always used regardless, engines tend to be a little quieter and I feel happier using a 30 weight over a 20 on an engine running 100whp more than stock.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You're going to benefit more from changing your oil more often versus sticking *THE* most expensive product you can find and keeping it in there longer. Even the best oil, still gets dirty.
True, but one could always do BOTH, if they don't mind the slightly higher expense involved. [wink]

koozy

3000 Post Club
I was ordering some parts from Tasca, so I went ahead and got the latest dip stick for $3.16. Here are some comparison photos.

Heres a shot after both were pulled out of the motor to see if the difference was noticeable. The table I place the dip sticks on is slanted, so the oil started running towards MIN side, but they were both at the MAX line. I think the newer dip stick is easier to read.

Those are pretty easy to read. Mitsubishi and Volvo have a hard on making dipsticks as cheap/impossible to read. Pulled the handle out on a 09 jetta, and that was the only thing that came out. [gunfire]