Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford Warranty myths and fairy tales

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
After over 4 years on this Forum I see the same silliness about our warranties over and over. The three that irk me the most are below

1. The Dealer voided my Warranty.

Not true, the dealer per Ford cannot alter your warranty. If a dealer tries to claim this tactic it is plain and simple fraud and illegal. Get it in writing and go to your DA and file fraud charges, I promise you will not get it writing but an audio recording from your phone will also work.

Also call Ford and complain, I was in the Services Managers office when he got reamed from Ford for telling me If I have installed the MP215 he would void my warranty, Ford also told me the General manager was instructed to have the Service Manager trained on warranties and they wanted written proof the Service Manager received "training" (ass reaming) on the subject.

From the Ford Warranty Guide 2016 but applies to all years ( my bold)

" The New Vehicle Limited Warranty for your 2016-model vehicle LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMERS
All of the warranties in this booklet are subject to the following limitations and disclaimers: The warranties in this booklet are the only express warranties applicable to your vehicle. Ford does not assume or authorize anyone to assume for it any other obligation or liability in connection with your vehicle or these warranties. No person, including Ford employees or dealers, may modify or waive any part of these warranties."

2. Mods will void your warranty.

From a Post in reply to questions to Ford and Ford's answer about calibration (tunes). It applies to ALL mods. My bold

" you have to also remember that just because your vehicle has an aftermarket calibration, that does not automatically void any warranty, extended warranty or not. The failure HAS to be PROVEN to be caused by the calibration".

The reason for this is the Moss-Magnuson Act (The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). This act also tells you your warranty and the law is between you and Ford not the dealer.

If you mod your engine to hell and back and it blows Ford will not repair it if the mods caused the problem. Anything else on your car is still covered. If your Sync 3 dies they fix it, if your heater core leaks they fix it. About the only reason Ford can deny all warranty issues is racing a car in timed events.

3. Ford Performance/Mountune parts are not covered under your warranty.

Again from Ford post (Ford's answer in bold, question by member)

Who is responsible for fixing an issue caused by warranty approved mountune part (MP215, Intercooler, short shift kit, etc), Ford or Mountune? I believe I answered that above, but the answer is Ford Performance.

Warranty on you car with warranty approved Ford performance parts including Mountune will be paid for from Ford performance $$, any other warranty claims are paid for by Ford manufacturing $$. All transparent to you the owner, just a matter of internal accounting. You may have to register them and have them installed by Ford, Mountune or an ASE certified mechanic for coverage.

Any warranty questions should be directed to Ford, not the Forum. Too many myths and fairy tales.......

HBEcoBeaST

valuable information. It really helps to have mod friendly dealers, makes all the difference when something goes wrong.

At least with other platforms, I've seen dealers deny drivetrain warranty claims due to aftermarket 'power adders' which add 'excessive wear' to the components, causing them to fail. Something minor like an intake or exhaust won't be an issue, but tunes, turbos, fuel systems, fuel types, fluid types (including transmission), etc are all grounds for denying warranty. Even fluids can be iffy because even if you're using a 'higher quality' product, if it doesn't meet manufacturer's specs you can be SOL.

I am not refuting the OP and everyone should talk to FORD about their warranty claim instead of consulting the forum. But, I still recommend either finding a mod friendly dealer, or reverting your car's motor to mostly stock before trying to make any warranty claim.

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
valuable information. It really helps to have mod friendly dealers, makes all the difference when something goes wrong.

At least with other platforms, I've seen dealers deny drivetrain warranty claims due to aftermarket 'power adders' which add 'excessive wear' to the components, causing them to fail. Something minor like an intake or exhaust won't be an issue, but tunes, turbos, fuel systems, fuel types, fluid types (including transmission), etc are all grounds for denying warranty. Even fluids can be iffy because even if you're using a 'higher quality' product, if it doesn't meet manufacturer's specs you can be SOL.

I am not refuting the OP and everyone should talk to FORD about their warranty claim instead of consulting the forum. But, I still recommend either finding a mod friendly dealer, or reverting your car's motor to mostly stock before trying to make any warranty claim.
You can have a 400HP modded engine and that will not block warranty repairs on the rest of your car so no need to try to hide any mods as per Ford's statement. If on the other hand you want to try to con them to repair problems caused by your mods that is another story. "Tunes, turbos, fuel systems, fuel types, fluid types" will always cause warranty issues on your powertrain warranty and should if not approved. At least three of them violate Fed laws.

HBEcoBeaST

You can have a 400HP modded engine and that will not block warranty repairs on the rest of your car so no need to try to hide any mods as per Ford's statement. If on the other hand you want to try to con them to repair problems caused by your mods that is another story. "Tunes, turbos, fuel systems, fuel types, fluid types" will always cause warranty issues on your powertrain warranty and should if not approved. At least three of them violate Fed laws.
I agree. But, before the recall, something like a tune or power upgrade could make a dealer not warranty the overheating issue many of us (including me) have experienced. I wouldn't consider that a 'con' by reverting your car to stock before taking it in for anything serious. But I understand what you're saying. Don't try to warranty a ruined cylinder if you're running nitrous and a big turbo lol.

On a platform like the FiST where there aren't too many common drivetrain issues it's not much of a problem. Something like a new GTI however, have so many random problems that dealers love to deny modded cars and blame them for their inherent issues. I wanted a GTI so bad before I realized any mods would potentially void a warranty claim and didn't want the extra hassle. Even those piggyback JB4 controllers are traceable and dealers know how to look for them.