Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

from rags to riches - my first wheel painting experience

So I picked up a set of OEM 4 bolt focus 15" wheels for $60 on kijiji. They had some paint chips and needed some TLC so I decided to paint them myself.

here's the process I followed.

1. Degrease and clean wheels thoroughly.
2, Sand away any nicks or curb marks ( I used 220 grit sand paper)
3. Clean wheels thoroughly with dish soap and let dry.
4. 2 to 3 coats of self etching primer.
5. 2 to 3 coats of high heat enamel or wheel paint (I used rustoleum brand)
6. 2 to 3 coats (to desired finish) of gloss clear coat.

Here are the pics,

Now to settle on winter tires. Overall a pretty easy DIY anybody thinking of painting your own wheels give it a shot I'm happy with my results.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Looks GREAT, and if I was not so much in love with the way the Sparco Terras, or Assetto Garas looked for winter wheels, I would do the same thing myself. ;)

neeqness

1000 Post Club
How long did it take you?

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
cbizz
Thread Starter #6
3 to 4 hours, once they are ready for paint it goes quick. I let the wheels dry overnight between primer and top coats. Both cans of primer and paint said they dry in 30mins. So this could be done all in one shot

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I am even thinking about 'writing out' the TPMS codes/system from the BCM completely, IF that is possible? [dunno]

neeqness

1000 Post Club
^^^I am even thinking about 'writing out' the TPMS codes/system from the BCM completely, IF that is possible? [dunno]
Agreed I want to lower my pressure but the light keeps coming on. Wish I could at least set it a few psi less...

Sent using Tapatalk

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Agreed I want to lower my pressure but the light keeps coming on. Wish I could at least set it a few psi less...

Sent using Tapatalk
Pretty sure if you learn the TPMS while at the pressure you want it will take it as the correct value and adjust to be less for the fail. Reason I say this is my winters have less and they don't throw codes after I learn them via the TPMS tool.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Pretty sure if you learn the TPMS while at the pressure you want it will take it as the correct value and adjust to be less for the fail. Reason I say this is my winters have less and they don't throw codes after I learn them via the TPMS tool.
Hmm, what TPMS tool? I'll have to look into that.

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
cbizz
Thread Starter #14
getting these installed this afternoon, went with GT Radial Champiro Icepros in 185/60/15. Planning on using the oem wheel lugs/nuts does anybody foresee having an issue?

getting these installed this afternoon, went with GT Radial Champiro Icepros in 185/60/15. Planning on using the oem wheel lugs/nuts does anybody foresee having an issue?
OEM lug nuts should be fine. A friend of mine who changes wheels more than most women change shoes has had just about every Ford wheel on his Focus, including the factory wheels off my ST. No issues ever.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Fiesta ST Discussions 4