Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Front control arm replacement general advice

Looking at upgrading and replacing my front control arms because the ball joint has gone. Firstly, do I need to replace the bolts with it because I’m not sure if they use stretch bolts or not. Secondly, does anyone have the torque specs for a 2014 ST180 for the 3 bolts that connect the wishbone to the car. And third, is it worth just paying to have it done? I head someone say that lock tight is used at factory and even an impact driver couldn’t get the bolts off. Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Looking at upgrading and replacing my front control arms because the ball joint has gone. Firstly, do I need to replace the bolts with it because I’m not sure if they use stretch bolts or not. Secondly, does anyone have the torque specs for a 2014 ST180 for the 3 bolts that connect the wishbone to the car. And third, is it worth just paying to have it done? I head someone say that lock tight is used at factory and even an impact driver couldn’t get the bolts off. Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
With what I encountered with my 2015 and the lower ball joint retaining bolts being frozen into the Knuckles....I would tell you if you don't have an air hammer with a punch I wouldn't even bother. Based on your geographical location and amount of snow and salt you get It's a crap shoot. All the bolts and Nuts should be replaced in this job also* the front control arm bts are torque to yield and definitely need to be replaced. The ball joint bolts and nuts just get crusty and also should be replaced and lubed up with some antiseize for easy removal in the future if needed. The Further most bolts for the Bushings I am unsure of though as I have never taken those out or loosened the up ever.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sam4

The link to the shop manual doesn't seem to work anymore, but the spec on those bolts has to take into account that they're stretch bolts - like 1/2 rotation following suggested torque.