Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Front Mounted Intercooler

Hello All!

Trying to make a decision and would like everyone’s thoughts and insight. I am deciding whether to purchase the Mountune FB1 or FB2 package. They only difference between the two is the Front Mounted Intercooler. I can’t decide if it’s needed or would make much of a difference? I live in New Jersey and do drive spirited but don’t plan on any track driving or further performance upgrades other then the Mountune lowering sport springs. I do spend some time in Florida with the car due to work, but its a very limited amount of time. So wondering if I should get it and how much of a difference or help the FMIC would be? Does it help produce more HP and TQ or really just maintain it for longer and more consistently? Is it better to have it in the sense of making the car safer, more reliable and overall longevity of the car, engine and components? Any downsides to installing it verses not? Also Mountune requests to know if you have a stock intercooler or aftermarket. I assume because the tune is different based on which you have?

Thank You and I Appreciate any and all help and insight on this to help me make an educated and correct decision.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Hello All!

Trying to make a decision and would like everyone’s thoughts and insight. I am deciding whether to purchase the Mountune FB1 or FB2 package. They only difference between the two is the Front Mounted Intercooler. I can’t decide if it’s needed or would make much of a difference? I live in New Jersey and do drive spirited but don’t plan on any track driving or further performance upgrades other then the Mountune lowering sport springs. I do spend some time in Florida with the car due to work, but its a very limited amount of time. So wondering if I should get it and how much of a difference or help the FMIC would be? Does it help produce more HP and TQ or really just maintain it for longer and more consistently? Is it better to have it in the sense of making the car safer, more reliable and overall longevity of the car, engine and components? Any downsides to installing it verses not? Also Mountune requests to know if you have a stock intercooler or aftermarket. I assume because the tune is different based on which you have?

Thank You and I Appreciate any and all help and insight on this to help me make an educated and correct decision.
A FMIC is important in our cars because the factory one is small to start with. If you do any canyon driving you can heatsoak it. That will rob you of power. With the larger intercooler the tune can make more power because the intercooler does not heat soak.
I consider a larger intercooler one of the few things one should do right off the bat with the car.

I did buy the FB3 package at this time last year. They already had a good standard discount and with the labor day discount on top. It came out to a really good price plus it was only like $100 more to get it with the intercooler so it was like why not. Put aftermarket intercooler for the tune if you buy the FB3 package because you will have that.

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #3
A FMIC is important in our cars because the factory one is small to start with. If you do any canyon driving you can heatsoak it. That will rob you of power. With the larger intercooler the tune can make more power because the intercooler does not heat soak.
I consider a larger intercooler one of the few things one should do right off the bat with the car.

I did buy the FB3 package at this time last year. They already had a good standard discount and with the labor day discount on top. It came out to a really good price plus it was only like $100 more to get it with the intercooler so it was like why not. Put aftermarket intercooler for the tune if you buy the FB3 package because you will have that.
Appreciate your input and all makes sense. Was leaning towards getting it and just wanted to get some confirmation. How do you like the FB3 package and how did the car feel and differences after installed ?

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Hello All!

Trying to make a decision and would like everyone’s thoughts and insight. I am deciding whether to purchase the Mountune FB1 or FB2 package. They only difference between the two is the Front Mounted Intercooler. I can’t decide if it’s needed or would make much of a difference?
RMM and larger IC are the first two mods to make. Even w/o an AP & tune... (of course, I bought almost everything used here, so I bought in reverse order, but held it until the list was done) I'm running the DepoRacingIC.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
RMM and larger IC are the first two mods to make. Even w/o an AP & tune... (of course, I bought almost everything used here, so I bought in reverse order, but held it until the list was done)
ya and he gets all of this stuff in theFB3 package(AP with custom tune, intercooler , RMM along withe Mountune intake box and hose and filter.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
If you don't end up with the Mountune one (which I hear is pretty phenomenal) I recommend the V3 from Whoosh. It's the ultimate bang for your buck without other discounts from other brands.

HBEcoBeaST

i'd get the package IC unless you plan on upgrading the turbo. i know the mountune isn't the best for hybrid turbos. it's more than adequate for anything the stock turbo can throw at it

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #8
i'd get the package IC unless you plan on upgrading the turbo. i know the mountune isn't the best for hybrid turbos. it's more than adequate for anything the stock turbo can throw at it
I don’t plan on any other performance upgrades other then the Mountune FB2 package. So it seems I should be good based on all the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #9
The FB3 package has the intake box and hose. But don’t think that really provides much of a performance upgrade. Seems more sound and aesthetics.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
I don’t plan on any other performance upgrades other then the Mountune FB2 package. So it seems I should be good based on all the feedback.

Yeah, that package is pretty solid overall and has a lot of everything you'll really need. The FB3 is a bit better due to the extra air intake but it's not totally necessary. One thing I can say is that you should make an account with them so you get reward points for your purchase. With those, you can buy something else in the future if you're interested like maybe their Catback exhaust which I have on my car. Highly recommend with upgraded hangers (if it fits right...). Also, before you buy it, I would call them to make sure that everything is in stock. The website lies. I just bought lowering springs which says they're in stock, but got a call from them saying that it actually is 3 weeks out...

OP
DaveZtoA
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for the advice and I will create an account for sure before placing my order. Going with the FB2 and the lowering sport springs. Heard great things about both. I know what you mean, I have spoke with them a few times and get a different answer each time. Sometimes they say it’s all in stock and other times it’s not and a couple of weeks out, So who knows. Either way I want to order this weekend because of the 20% off and just wait it out.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
except all the negative is based off their old tube and fin Intercooler that was smaller . The newer one has a larger core that is Bar and plate and works well enough that they sell it with the MRX Turbo in a kit.
So what you are talking about is based off outdated info and they no longer sell the Intercooler that did not work well with Hybrids.

For the OP I feel for the extra $100 getting the Airbox as well is a really good deal. You have to look at it as it lowers the overall cost of everything. Plus Ford took the ST200 Airbox design directly from the Mountune and the ST200 did have more HP than the ST180. It is a true cold air intake and that is a true benefit for our cars.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the advice and I will create an account for sure before placing my order. Going with the FB2 and the lowering sport springs. Heard great things about both. I know what you mean, I have spoke with them a few times and get a different answer each time. Sometimes they say it’s all in stock and other times it’s not and a couple of weeks out, So who knows. Either way I want to order this weekend because of the 20% off and just wait it out.

I'm not too sure about how the points work, so there may be a delay when it comes to recieving them. Order whatever is most expensive first, wait to recieve the points, and then get the other thing, probably the springs, with the points. I'm sure you already figured this out tho, just thought I should clarify.

HBEcoBeaST

except all the negative is based off their old tube and fin Intercooler that was smaller . The newer one has a larger core that is Bar and plate and works well enough that they sell it with the MRX Turbo in a kit.
So what you are talking about is based off outdated info and they no longer sell the Intercooler that did not work well with Hybrids.

For the OP I feel for the extra $100 getting the Airbox as well is a really good deal. You have to look at it as it lowers the overall cost of everything. Plus Ford took the ST200 Airbox design directly from the Mountune and the ST200 did have more HP than the ST180. It is a true cold air intake and that is a true benefit for our cars.
Interesting since I was just going off their description.
The mountune High Performance Intercooler Upgrade for the Ford Fiesta ST includes everything you need to optimize the performance of your ST and is the foundation for further power upgrades. Using a 7-row extruded fin core with inner-fin tube design gives a massive improvement in both Air Charge Temperatures and pressure drops ensuring optimum charge air temperature and increased power. Our intercooler also maximizes available vehicle package space while retaining the essential air management ducting for the Ford cooling system.

Extruded fin core isn't tube / fin? Or did they not update the website?

Either way the IC would be fine for the OEM turbo

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Interesting since I was just going off their description.
The mountune High Performance Intercooler Upgrade for the Ford Fiesta ST includes everything you need to optimize the performance of your ST and is the foundation for further power upgrades. Using a 7-row extruded fin core with inner-fin tube design gives a massive improvement in both Air Charge Temperatures and pressure drops ensuring optimum charge air temperature and increased power. Our intercooler also maximizes available vehicle package space while retaining the essential air management ducting for the Ford cooling system.

Extruded fin core isn't tube / fin? Or did they not update the website?

Either way the IC would be fine for the OEM turbo
Yes they did not update their website. When I ordered my package I was expecting the Tube and Fin . Imagine my surprise when I opened the box and discovered a Bar and Plate lol. Then when I was at the Spring MoFoCo meet I specifically asked them about it and they were like oh ya we upgraded to a larger bar and plate core a year or so ago. lol They also told me they had been running the newer one with the MRX
Then I saw them offering the MRX kit with it. Sir Sinclair bought a car that had a full MRX kit on it with the same intercooler and he Mustang dynoed at over 250hp and the Mustang dyno rates lower than a dynojet.
So it seems to work.

HBEcoBeaST

Yes they did not update their website. When I ordered my package I was expecting the Tube and Fin . Imagine my surprise when I opened the box and discovered a Bar and Plate lol. Then when I was at the Spring MoFoCo meet I specifically asked them about it and they were like oh ya we upgraded to a larger bar and plate core a year or so ago. lol They also told me they had been running the newer one with the MRX
Then I saw them offering the MRX kit with it. Sir Sinclair bought a car that had a full MRX kit on it with the same intercooler and he Mustang dynoed at over 250hp and the Mustang dyno rates lower than a dynojet.
So it seems to work.
Thanks for the info. You think they'd update the site. Definitely think it'd increase sales.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Thanks for the info. You think they'd update the site. Definitely think it'd increase sales.
Ya they are kinda funny like that. Its just like their whole shipping deal. You have to have patience with them as sometimes stuff does not ship right away. My FB3 package came in like 3 shipments granted the shipping was free due to the overall cost,
Though I got my airbox and RMM first followed by my AP and then my intercooler lol.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
So it seems to work.
You think you could explain the difference between the two of them?

HBEcoBeaST

Ya they are kinda funny like that. Its just like their whole shipping deal. You have to have patience with them as sometimes stuff does not ship right away. My FB3 package came in like 3 shipments granted the shipping was free due to the overall cost,
Though I got my airbox and RMM first followed by my AP and then my intercooler lol.
I've had issues with them too. They don't pick up their phone or answer my emails. No communication and took 3 weeks after I ordered to tell me they were out of stock. Hard for me to give them my money after that

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
I've had issues with them too. They don't pick up their phone or answer my emails. No communication and took 3 weeks after I ordered to tell me they were out of stock. Hard for me to give them my money after that
I've had the same issues. My catback from them did not fit at all. I sent pictures and everything, and they somehow still denied the issue, even as my bumper was being burnt off. Another $300 on top of everything to fix it after the $700 or whatever that it costs to get. I never want to do business with them again, but I had reward points and discounts I wanted to use so I just bought lowering springs. The website says in stock. Phone call says 3+ weeks. They're a shit company tbh, even if their products are good.

Ford Community Posts