Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Future-proofing reliability

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I see, it’s just from what I see I don’t see those cars at the top of reliability standards, so I expect the Fiesta ST to be around the same. I have a hard time knowing what to believe with these cars because I either see people get high mileage beating the snot out of the car every day with zero issues whatsoever and on the other side I see people getting horrible luck with transmissions, turbos blowing up, and all sorts of weird issues. It’s like there is no in between with these cars haha
Most of the reliability issues was because the of the aforementioned Powershift dual clutch trans they did not have Torque converters.. Ford put them in the Fiesta’s, Focus’s , Fusion’s. Between that and myford Sync all the cars got a bad rap.

I know I owned a Focus with one of those transmissions and like was also mentioned you had to know how to drive it. If you did not it would do things that manuals do but automatics don’t, which most people did not understand. Mine drove great because I knew.

That aside our engines are pretty damn reliable and so our are transmissions. People blow Turbo’s because they push them hard with too much boost. People have transmission issues because they beat on them .

I talked to my service guy at Ford about it because my car just came down with the dreaded blend door actuator disease.
The mating call of our cars. :LOL:
(I am a month away from the end of my 3 year 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty. Yikes its almost been 3 years I have owned this thing.)

He said they do not see many if any trans issues on all the FiST’s they service and they are the Worlds largest Ford dealer.
So ya I have tossed around the idea of an extended warranty only for the sake of stuff like that. Lots of people fix them on their own though. You just have to learn to be a contortionist to do it.:LOL:

The other thing to watch for is possible weeping axle seals. Thats another it does not happen to all but some thing.
Otherwise ya they are actually pretty damn good little cars.

I'm at 85k or so and have had no issues aside from the weak radiator and the blend door actuator (twice now). This car has been extremely reliable. I don't think there's any "major" issue to be worried about, just do frequent fluid changes and such, and she'll last a long time.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

OP
GreenEnvyFiST908
Thread Starter #23
Most of the reliability issues was because the of the aforementioned Powershift dual clutch trans they did not have Torque converters.. Ford put them in the Fiesta’s, Focus’s , Fusion’s. Between that and myford Sync all the cars got a bad rap.

I know I owned a Focus with one of those transmissions and like was also mentioned you had to know how to drive it. If you did not it would do things that manuals do but automatics don’t, which most people did not understand. Mine drove great because I knew.

That aside our engines are pretty damn reliable and so our are transmissions. People blow Turbo’s because they push them hard with too much boost. People have transmission issues because they beat on them .

I talked to my service guy at Ford about it because my car just came down with the dreaded blend door actuator disease.
The mating call of our cars. :LOL:
(I am a month away from the end of my 3 year 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty. Yikes its almost been 3 years I have owned this thing.)

He said they do not see many if any trans issues on all the FiST’s they service and they are the Worlds largest Ford dealer.
So ya I have tossed around the idea of an extended warranty only for the sake of stuff like that. Lots of people fix them on their own though. You just have to learn to be a contortionist to do it.:LOL:

The other thing to watch for is possible weeping axle seals. Thats another it does not happen to all but some thing.
Otherwise ya they are actually pretty damn good little cars.
Yeah I did the axle seals on my car, they were seeping a good bit

dhminer

2000 Post Club
For most of us, the passenger side mount isn't an issue. Some people drive them harder than others. Like any machine, the harder the use, the harder the wear.
I have a winter beater so my FiST doesn't have to deal with the salt soup. If you can manage it, that would do a lot to preserve your car long term.
I understand that many people don't have the space or budget for a 2nd car.
My mount had no issues. I wouldn't mess with it unless adding a lot of power.

I have 72k miles and the only unscheduled maintenance has been the blend door actuator (twice) and a purge valve that's stuck open. Has been modified since the week I got it and never had the slightest hint of slip in the transmission or any other issue whatsoever.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I see, it’s just from what I see I don’t see those cars at the top of reliability standards, so I expect the Fiesta ST to be around the same. I have a hard time knowing what to believe with these cars because I either see people get high mileage beating the snot out of the car every day with zero issues whatsoever and on the other side I see people getting horrible luck with transmissions, turbos blowing up, and all sorts of weird issues. It’s like there is no in between with these cars haha
Turbo's "blowing up"? Really? I must have missed that on this Forum.(not) Transmission troubles are fairly common on modded cars. The radiator is useless for cars in the southwest and I will put the Mountune radiator I have in the garage on before going to south AZ again this summer. With a mild tune my car is bulletproof other than the blend door which has jack to do with reliability or tunes. Racing does seem to cause numerous issues, no surprise. Does not affect the average FiST. Have no idea what "weird" problems you talk about that the average FiST owner faces indicating reliability issues unless they are the outliers in all makes and models with the occasional factory defective parts. Perfectly normal. This car was designed and warranted for about 220HP, the MP-215 was planned from the inception of the FiST. Highly modded cars can have issues, that is true of any car. Driven within the designed parameters it is a very reliable car. You cannot judge reliability with a car that has illegal mods or raced, totally different animals, not designed by Ford, supplied by Ford or warranted by Ford. To my knowledge the only performance mod authorized by Ford for our car was the 2014-16 MP-215.
The standard Fiesta WITH known transmission issues is rated Average per the internet when I looked today. The FiST is not rated separately. Drop the auto transmissions problems and I'm sure the Fiesta goes well above average. It has been a top selling car in the UK and EU for many years and still is partly due to good reliability.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
From internet, be happy!

"The Ford Escape Reliability Rating is 4.0 out of 5.0, which ranks it 16th out of 26 for compact SUVs. The average annual repair cost is $600 which means it has average ownership costs. The severity of repairs is average, and major issues are less frequent than average, so major repairs are not common for the Escape."

The engine is a major repair.........."not common". My average repair cost a is $200 per year on the FiST. So I believe you can be assured you have bought a reliable car other than cooling issues. You still have the old design head and a band-aid approach to the overheating recall. Where you are located I doubt you will ever see cooling issues. I have been to 30 states in my FiST and the only cooling issues were in SW Colorado and AZ in the Summer. You can do a resonator delete to get a little more sound from your exhaust without spending much $$ but not a lot louder from inside your car. I want an exhaust but keep spending money on guns and trips, and my audio is almost always dimed out with 60's and 70's rock CD's so I wouldn't hear it much. Keep a close watch on your cooling reservoir and Wrench On! Enjoy your FiST, you will never find a comparable car.

OP
GreenEnvyFiST908
Thread Starter #27
From internet, be happy!

"The Ford Escape Reliability Rating is 4.0 out of 5.0, which ranks it 16th out of 26 for compact SUVs. The average annual repair cost is $600 which means it has average ownership costs. The severity of repairs is average, and major issues are less frequent than average, so major repairs are not common for the Escape."

The engine is a major repair.........."not common". My average repair cost a is $200 per year on the FiST. So I believe you can be assured you have bought a reliable car other than cooling issues. You still have the old design head and a band-aid approach to the overheating recall. Where you are located I doubt you will ever see cooling issues. I have been to 30 states in my FiST and the only cooling issues were in SW Colorado and AZ in the Summer. You can do a resonator delete to get a little more sound from your exhaust without spending much $$ but not a lot louder from inside your car. I want an exhaust but keep spending money on guns and trips, and my audio is almost always dimed out with 60's and 70's rock CD's so I wouldn't hear it much. Keep a close watch on your cooling reservoir and Wrench On! Enjoy your FiST, you will never find a comparable car.
Thanks! I love the car so much and want to preserve this gem for a long time. Nothing drives like it and nothing will ever again