Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Gas smell when the heat is on auto.

So yesterday after filling my gas tank, I started noticing a strong fuel order only when the heat was on auto. I popped the hood, sniffed everywhere, and smell anything. It only has that Oder when the heat is on auto. I have heard about some evap issues with theses and I did have the intake off the other day to put on a mountune short shift kit. Any suggestions on a fix, no codes, my is a 2017, stock air box.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I don't have an answer, but BUMP.

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
So mysteriously the issue vanished today. I’m pretty sure it is an evap/purge valve system issue. Yesterday the idle was a little rough too, wonder why it never threw a code. I’ve already ordered the 14-15 retrofit harness from Whoosh, hoping that will permanently solve the issue.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Did you happen to fill up the tank, and go way past the first click stop of the pump handle (to 'round up' the amount, or get maximum fuel into the tank) right before this happened??

OP
S
Thread Starter #5
Did you happen to fill up the tank, and go way past the first click stop of the pump handle (to 'round up' the amount, or get maximum fuel into the tank) right before this happened??
I don’t think I did, but honestly can’t remember. Is there something that breaks when that happens?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I don’t think I did, but honestly can’t remember. Is there something that breaks when that happens?
I don't think you broke anything. If you overfill it, you risk getting fuel (rather than just vapors) in your evap system. That can cause the symptoms you described.
Fill it just to the first click, and wait a few seconds for it to settle.

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
I don't think you broke anything. If you overfill it, you risk getting fuel (rather than just vapors) in your evap system. That can cause the symptoms you described.
Fill it just to the first click, and wait a few seconds for it to settle.
Thank you! Hoping that is all it was. I’ll be extra cognizant in the future when I fill up.

make sure the dipstick is seated all the way and the o-ring is still good, because the oil also has a smell similar to gasoline... the oil cap is another possiblity make sure it's tightened down and the seal is still good. i mention this because these are very close to the fresh air intake on the cowl