Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

General tire service life question

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I've had my car just shy of 3 years now. Typically only put about 1000 miles or so a year on it (garaged from November-Aprilish). I put my oem wheels with original Bridgestones on for when its garaged and when I take it out I put my OZ wheels with Dunlop Direzza on.

Treadwise, the Dunlops are golden but wondering how many years should I go before looking for a fresh set? I guess generally how long does a tire like this remain safe, treadware not being a factor?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You need to read the date code on the tire* This will let you know the true age of the tire. Most tires should be replaced every 6-10 years most manufactures say. Even if they arent driven that much the Ozone will start to break down the tire just from sitting in the garage.

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/how-do-i-determine-the-age-of-my-tires

OP
akiraproject24

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thread Starter #3
You need to read the date code on the tire* This will let you know the true age of the tire. Most tires should be replaced every 6-10 years most manufactures say. Even if they arent driven that much the Ozone will start to break down the tire just from sitting in the garage.

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/how-do-i-determine-the-age-of-my-tires
Just found it. mine are 5120. I'll round up and call em 2 yrs and 5 months old. Appreciate it.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Generally depends on the manufacturer. Michelins dry rot/crack pretty quickly if they're not worn down in a decent amount of time. Basically just depends on that and the conditions they've been exposed to and if they have dry cracks or not

General tire life in the elements ends at 5 years regardless of how much tread you have because of tires dry rotting, like mentioned before in a garage they can last up to 10 years. This also doesn't factor in potential heat cycles from racing which makes the tire life even shorter.