Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Going from a FoRS to a FiST.....am I crazy?

This is a legit question and I am curious what others who have done similar think.

Long story short, I got a great deal on a RS last year (Aug 2017) and have really enjoyed it. This is NOT my first AWD performance car as I have owned Evo's and STi's over the years.

I took a new job recently that requires around a 100 mile commute....mostly highway. The miles are going to start racking up like crazy on the RS, and truly I never imagined it would be my DD especially with that amount of driving. Anyway....I have driven the FiST and I did enjoy it. Obviously, it does lack some things but for what i need at this point in my life I believe it will suit my needs. I am filling up every 2 1/2 days, racking up miles, and driving my car into a large city (potholes, parking decks, etc). So far she is dent free, but it is only a matter of time.

Thoughts from folks who went from RS to FiST? Thoughts in general welcomed too!

[/IMG]

Last edited:

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
The FiST does get some amazing mileage considering its performance. I usually am around 29-30 mpg in mixed driving. Some say the FiST is more fun to drive, like Matt Farrah. I've also owned Evo's (4) and STi's (2) and the FiST is right up there in the fun factor. It's one of the best cars I've ever owned. In highway only mileage you can expect mid-30's on up so significantly better fuel economy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
A
Thread Starter #3
The FiST does get some amazing mileage considering its performance. I usually am around 29-30 mpg in mixed driving. Some say the FiST is more fun to drive, like Matt Farrah. I've also owned Evo's (4) and STi's (2) and the FiST is right up there in the fun factor. It's one of the best cars I've ever owned. In highway only mileage you can expect mid-30's on up so significantly better fuel economy.

Awesome, thanks. Appreciate the input!

I went from an RS to my second FiST last year. I should’ve never gotten rid of my Spirit Blue ‘14, but I don’t miss how the RS felt over gaps in the freeway, or bumps, or almost causing a crash every time I needed to make a uturn. The Fiesta is much cheaper to insure, I found it challenging to get better than 24mpg of PREMIUM.
I wouldn’t tell someone who owns an RS that they’re wrong for doing so, but in my mind.. there’re better choices for a DD

jeff

2000 Post Club
I know this isn't what you're asking but my .02 here, have you considered keeping the RS and getting a beater (older Corolla or Civic, under $5k) for your commute car? That way you don't put the miles/dents/wear on your nicer car but still get to keep it.

On that note I don't know that I'd want an RS as a daily driver for a variety of issues but to each his own.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I know this isn't what you're asking but my .02 here, have you considered keeping the RS and getting a beater (older Corolla or Civic, under $5k) for your commute car? That way you don't put the miles/dents/wear on your nicer car but still get to keep it.

On that note I don't know that I'd want an RS as a daily driver for a variety of issues but to each his own.
That’s kinda what I was thinking. I shied away from an RS because it would have lived it’s life sitting in traffic. We’re i to get one (and were I not married!!) I’d have an RS, and maybe a fiat 500 electric for commuting.

OP
A
Thread Starter #7
Valid points about buying a cheap DD. I went down that path before, but i think I just want one vehicle, thatis still fun to drive, but not as pricey as the RS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could keep the RS and buy a well used Fist. If you’re putting that many miles on it daily why not buy a well kept one with miles on it. It would set you back half of a new fist. There are a few clean 40-70k mile Fists in my area for ~11k

You're still racking up miles and going to have to deal with potholes/dents/etc with the FiST, unless you plan to get the fiesta and throw all F's out the window. It comes down to enjoying your drive, and being able to enjoy yourself when you AREN'T driving to/from work.

I don't have experience with AWD. But I DO have experience with car payments. I prefer the ones that are less, and I think the FiST would be that compared to the RS.

OP
A
Thread Starter #10
You could keep the RS and buy a well used Fist. If you’re putting that many miles on it daily why not buy a well kept one with miles on it. It would set you back half of a new fist. There are a few clean 40-70k mile Fists in my area for ~11k
No doubt! Absolutely looking for a used one. Completely agree there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I don't know if you have rapid chargers there but a fiat 500e is only 49 bucks a month lease here; have almost picked one up several times because my commute is short and they're fun. Here, since every third car is a Tesla, there are rapid chargers in every single parking lot, chargers at work, etc.

Going from an RS to an ST for the reasons you list makes sense though - to me, my '17 FiST is my beater that I can occasionally have fun in; if I'd pulled the trigger on a FoRS it was going to be a fun car that I felt bad about commuting in.

OP
A
Thread Starter #13
Sounds like a win, win!

I think so!

I don't know if you have rapid chargers there but a fiat 500e is only 49 bucks a month lease here; have almost picked one up several times because my commute is short and they're fun. Here, since every third car is a Tesla, there are rapid chargers in every single parking lot, chargers at work, etc.

Going from an RS to an ST for the reasons you list makes sense though - to me, my '17 FiST is my beater that I can occasionally have fun in; if I'd pulled the trigger on a FoRS it was going to be a fun car that I felt bad about commuting in.
valid points as well, thanks

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
There are a dozen cars that I would rather have for RS money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
A
Thread Starter #15
There are a dozen cars that I would rather have for RS money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yea I can totally understand that, but i didn't pay any of the stupid market markups for mine. I do feel sorry for those folks that had to have the 16's as soon as they hit the lot. 10-15k markups in my area were common. So yeah, 50k+ for a focus....no thanks

meFiSTo

There are a few of us on this forum that have both. If you can afford to keep the RS, I'd do that and find a car that better suits your commute. Whatever that is. The Fiesta is a good in-town car, but I'd sell it long before selling my RS.

Having said that, I do not have a daily commute so my cars are extremely low mileage.

Jerickson88

Something to make the Fiesta a little more daily friendly, 205/45-17, 215/40-17 tires, or even go to a 16x7 and a 205/50-16. Made a big difference for me to add a little more rubber.

I’d go for the most basic ST if I were downgrading from an RS

OP
A
Thread Starter #19
There are a few of us on this forum that have both. If you can afford to keep the RS, I'd do that and find a car that better suits your commute. Whatever that is. The Fiesta is a good in-town car, but I'd sell it long before selling my RS.

Having said that, I do not have a daily commute so my cars are extremely low mileage.
This is the struggle. I can keep the RS, and pick up a cheaper daily no issues financially there. However, I have done this in the past with other cars, but then I have a hard time having two cars and one just sits in my garage for "nice days". I have a feeling if I buy an ST or any car for that matter, and my RS is sitting there 6 days a week it will drive me crazy.

Now if I owned the RS outright it wouldn't likely bother me as much as making payments for a car I drive very infrequently. I buy car's to drive them, but in this case I didn't foresee a 100+ mile daily commute in the RS. Love the car....I really do. At this point I am putting on about 2,500 a miles a month in the RS hence the struggle.

Jerickson88

This is the struggle. I can keep the RS, and pick up a cheaper daily no issues financially there. However, I have done this in the past with other cars, but then I have a hard time having two cars and one just sits in my garage for "nice days". I have a feeling if I buy an ST or any car for that matter, and my RS is sitting there 6 days a week it will drive me crazy.

Now if I owned the RS outright it wouldn't likely bother me as much as making payments for a car I drive very infrequently. I buy car's to drive them, but in this case I didn't foresee a 100+ mile daily commute in the RS. Love the car....I really do. At this point I am putting on about 2,500 a miles a month in the RS hence the struggle.
I am likely in the same boat but with my ST. I’m picking up a company van today and I also have a paid for Tahoe that’s been sitting in our garage for over a month and the wife has a 16’ Civic. So basically the ST will be cleaned and garaged I guess.