Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Gold foil, turbo 'blankets', and other radiant heat shielding??

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I see that some on here are using the gold foil for aftermarket intake box heat shielding, but has anyone used it elsewhere (intake manifold, injector rails, underhood fuel lines, etc.)??

It is all over the place in the engine compartment when the hoods of WTCC/BTCC, and WRC cars are open to view, so I was just wondering.

Also, do any of the various turbo heat shielding blankets/covers help at all, even on a stock or mild turbo system, or are they only necessary on hard core turbo upgrades?

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I did the air box (top and bottom), snorkel (which was probably a waste of time), the induction tube to the turbo inlet, part of the cowl panel just above the induction tube, and the cold side induction plastic pipe. A lot of racecars use them on body work if they are a composite since the heat breaks down the resin.

FSWerks Short Throw Shifter Installation by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

DEI gold wrap on cold side charge pipe by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Does it work? Not sure, but it was a fun project that I worked on over the course of a few months.

AzNightmare

Had some fun with the silver (Reflect-A-Cool) tape as well.

Actually I got some inspiration from BRGT350 before I started my project. :)

I'll say the tape is fun, makes the engine bay look a bit more "blinged" out, but the performance is negligible.

OP
M-Sport fan

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I'll say the tape is fun, makes the engine bay look a bit more "blinged" out, but the performance is negligible.
OK. this is what I wanted to know as it applies to street driven cars.

I guess it IS necessary on race/rally vehicles due to MUCH elevated underhood heat levels, and wanting to get every little tenth of a HP out of their equipment, since they are NOT doing it for 'bling' reasons??

Also, has ANYONE used one of the many available turbo 'blankets' (shields) on either a stock set up OR a big upgraded kit??

Even if it did not give any performance difference, it seems it would help prevent 'thermal shock' damage to the turbo on our cars (given where it is located) when getting standing water splash/rain water blowing into the area, no?

grnmachine02

It has it's place on street cars. I've used it with good success when big turbos begin to make space between fuel/wiring components tight.

OK. this is what I wanted to know as it applies to street driven cars.

I guess it IS necessary on race/rally vehicles due to MUCH elevated underhood heat levels, and wanting to get every little tenth of a HP out of their equipment, since they are NOT doing it for 'bling' reasons??

Also, has ANYONE used one of the many available turbo 'blankets' (shields) on either a stock set up OR a big upgraded kit??

Even if it did not give any performance difference, it seems it would help prevent 'thermal shock' damage to the turbo on our cars (given where it is located) when getting standing water splash/rain water blowing into the area, no?

Those blankets actually serve a dual purpose. Yes it will help decrease under hood temps, but the more heat you can keep in the turbo the better the spool. Obviously the turbo on the FiST doesn't need much help in the spool department, but it really helps on bigger turbos. Basically, heat=energy.

I think you'd be better off spending the money on ceramic coating, though.

OP
M-Sport fan

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
It has it's place on street cars. I've used it with good success when big turbos begin to make space between fuel/wiring components tight.

Those blankets actually serve a dual purpose. Yes it will help decrease under hood temps, but the more heat you can keep in the turbo the better the spool. Obviously the turbo on the FiST doesn't need much help in the spool department, but it really helps on bigger turbos. Basically, heat=energy.

I think you'd be better off spending the money on ceramic coating, though.
Yes, even though I did not mention it, the stated above is the PRIMARY purpose of the blankets, which I knew (same as keeping heat IN the exhaust system flow on NA cars).

I was just putting out there the question of them possibly 'saving' the turbo housing in a thermal shock scenario.

YES, ceramic coatings would be the most efficient (and least space consuming) solution.

Do ANY of the aftermarket kit tuners for our cars offer housing coatings as an option BEFORE we receive their kits, done by them??

grnmachine02

I haven't seen that yet. Granted, I haven't been looking for the option. That's usually reserved for manifolds and downpipes so maybe deadhook offers it?

I just installed a BT kit from DHM. I have a turbo blanket, heat wrap on the manifold and dump pipe and gold tape on my intake where it comes up from the turbo. Although Russ from DHM isn't a fan of the heat wrap for fire reasons but I don't think I'll run into that issue. I think its safe to assume that those things will help at least a little (research and testing) but I am just starting the tune and have not really opened it up yet. Plus its 100 degrees right now.

Dib

I put the gold tape on my intake, right about now it seems like it's just for looks. I keep 'intake charge temp' up on my CobbAP and my temps are still about 7-20 degrees higher than ambient. MCM did a mythbust about painting your intercooler black, it radiates heat better than not painted ...unless it's in direct sunlight. I had my car idling pointing into the sun and saw my charge temps climb to about 30 degrees above ambient. I don't think it was worth the $60 I spent on the tape, plus it doesn't stick very well so i have to superglue down parts every once in a while. still looks racecar.

Bluedrank

I'd be interested to see hard data on whether there's any improvement with heat soak on these intakes wrapped in foil.

Also, what brand foil are you guys using?

I'd be interested to see hard data on whether there's any improvement with heat soak on these intakes wrapped in foil.

Also, what brand foil are you guys using?
Currently, I'm using the foil from Mishimoto. It seems pretty decent. I forget which brand, but I remember some other stuff I had bought off Amazon not being very sticky, so it was constantly peeling off.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I use the DEI foil and it sticks pretty good. It only lifts if I snag a corner with a rag or is in a spot that wasn't cleaned very well. I added mine over time and started prior to installing the Accessport, so I don't have any good before and after data points. In spots where heat was going to more of an issue, I used 2 layers of aluminum tape and then a layer of gold.